Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Depot rear anti-roll bar

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I believe that. When we built the Festiva "race car" (the dreaded FASTIVA autocross car), we welded a piece of flat steel across the bottom of the beam axle to make it a box. It worked GREAT! But, ultimately, the axle cracked near the welds on both ends. It definitely concentrates a lot of extra stress in that area when you remove the flex from the center section.

In our case, we caught it early, welded the hairline cracks, and continued to "send it". Probably not the best answer for a daily-driven street car.

Keep a close eye on the area around the welds for signs of stress fractures. Especially since you're already introducing "unusual" stresses with the toe-correction kit you have in place. As long as you're just casually street driving it, it will probably be fine. We beat the heck out of that poor Festiva with multiple drivers autocrossing it every other weekend with stick 225-width tires for a year and a half.

Hi, reading this make me want to check mine....and there are hairline fractures on both spring stays.
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 8.42.59 AM.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  63.8 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 8.42.45 AM.jpeg
Views: 369
Size:  83.0 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreeYourSOUL For This Useful Post:

Loren (01-02-2021),MetroMPG (12-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeYourSOUL View Post
    Hi, reading this make me want to check mine....and there are hairline fractures on both spring stays.
    That's not good. Are you running with stock springs or aftermarket springs? By the color of the springs in your picture they look like aftermarket but just want to be sure. And if so, what kind?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's not good. Are you running with stock springs or aftermarket springs? By the color of the springs in your picture they look like aftermarket but just want to be sure. And if so, what kind?
    I am running with TEIN springs, custom antiswaybar, and 195mm wheels with +40 offset.
    Location of fractures are where the antiswaybar bracket end, I remember it still fine 2 years ago before i put wider wheels on.
    Doing 60+ kph corner everyday and sometime 80-100kph on highway cloverleaf interchange, looks like the torsion beam end put too much stress with wider wheels.

Name:  20180405_092751(0).jpg
Views: 316
Size:  91.9 KB

This picture is before i put wider wheels on and it's fine for couple years, no visible fracture.