Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving on from my G4

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Moving on from my G4

After almost a year of shopping and education, I bought a 2017 Chevy Volt to replace my G4. It's such a 180 experience going to the Volt, and loving it. I've had it a month now and have dropped my fuel use from 3 tanks a week down to 1 tank a week-and that's driving about 75% more with the Volt. I'm getting about the same MPG as the G4 when I run in 'hold (gas)' mode, but have the advantage of the electric motor now. I miss the fog lights from my G4, and this might sound odd, but I really miss the variable intermittent wipers from the G4. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my G4 when my roommate of 4 years spoke up that his Toyota Matrix (with 250k miles) was getting iffy but still perfect for dump runs, Lowe's runs, dog hauling, etc. So he's inheriting my G4 (still with warranty) and it's a win win, as I didn't have to say goodbye to my G4-because I really do love it and he got a good, economical and reliable car. The reasons I got something different was I wanted to go electric, I wanted something safer/more substantial, and something with a more comfortable driving position for me (the G4 was killing me). I'm still 100% going to be a Mirage/G4 advocate though

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-29-2020),inuvik (12-29-2020),Loren (12-29-2020),MirageRally (12-29-2020),precisionxt (12-30-2020)

Cool, those are neat cars. I considered getting one too but I change my mind more often than underwear.
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-29-2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: engrish

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The G4 is very underrated IMO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-31-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In a way, your new Volt looks a bit like a Pontiac G6, Go4th. Pontiac always had nice looking cars. I like my Mirage hatch more than the G4's, but the G4 is underrated, and super rare in Canada. I think they sold 2500 of them total. Maybe 250 actually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The volt such a better car then again it should be with it costing almost double the price used as a new g4 does.

Hopefully it's reliable as the Mirage. I assume it won't be as simple to fix but I was wrong once.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hope your experience is good with the Volt. I did some light reading and fount some not-so-happy customers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    In a way, your new Volt looks a bit like a Pontiac G6, Go4th. Pontiac always had nice looking cars. I like my Mirage hatch more than the G4's, but the G4 is underrated, and super rare in Canada. I think they sold 2500 of them total. Maybe 250 actually.
    I had a G6 as a rental once, in Canada actually. I really liked it too! Of course it was new and no issues. I also owned a Vibe for several years, one of my favorite cars. The G4 really is underrated. For example, the trunk space is actually bigger in the G4 than the Volt. The Volt has the advantage of fold down seats and hatch though. Still, I will sing praises of the G4/Mirage because they deserve it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    The volt such a better car then again it should be with it costing almost double the price used as a new g4 does.
    Actually there's a flood of off lease Volts (and Bolts) right now and I got mine for the same price as my heavily discount G4. I've been shopping since January and have watched the prices plummet! Plus while it's out of bumper to bumper, I still have the 100k warranty on the Voltec powertrain system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hopefully it's reliable as the Mirage. I assume it won't be as simple to fix but I was wrong once.
    I think at the end of the day, the Mirage will be ultimately more reliable, but I still have great confidence in the Volt based on Forums and Facebook groups. I 100% agree the Mirage is much more simple to fix over the Volt.