Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INFO: If you are upgrading your door speakers....

Country
    United States
    Thanks

INFO: If you are upgrading your door speakers....

If you are upgrading your door speakers, please use the Scosche SAMI651 kit.... you can find them at sonicelectronix or crutchfield websites.... maybe even amazon (haven't checked)

Sadly, I upgraded my door speakers back in 2015/2016 when these kits didn't exist. So I personally trashed my factory speakers to remove their centers, using the outer ring as a "jerry-rigged" mount. It works, but its so much easier to just use these kits. Just FYI for those who need to know. Sharing is caring....

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-24-2021),Clessy (12-30-2020),dragon2knight (01-01-2021),Fummins (12-29-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    If you change speakers and keep the original radio, make sure the new speakers are 4Ohm variety. If you were to use 8Ohm speakers, you would have get only 1/4 output power.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm going to diaagree with that a little bit. Nominal impedance of most 8 ohm drivers is ~6.8 ohms. It's also a consideration that the poor excuse for an amplifier built into the radio clips when driven at higher volume and wouls benefit from the reduced load. Especially when there are no filters to reduce low frequencies which lower the impedance seen by the amplifier. I would expect an 8 ohm speaker to get to about the same peak volume before clipping as a 4 ohm driver

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In any case, if you are keeping the stock setup (or even if you are swapping out the head unit but not adding a dedicated amp), here are the speakers you want.

Yes, you can spend more on speakers if you wanted, but what you will end up with are speakers which are way over spec for your system that will end up being significantly quieter than stock. While sound reproduction may end up being amazing, the combo of Bluetooth audio compression and a very loud cabin in this car will make it so you will not be able to hear the difference (or maybe even the music itself) at all.

If you're technically minded enough to be redoing your entire audio system to work with an amp, then disregard the above advice.
    Last edited by PityOnU; 12-31-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Speaker efficiency should be the mist important factor

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-01-2021),MirageRally (12-31-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    MITSUBISHI SPEAKERS 2: The Fractured but whole

I'd watch it!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    Speaker efficiency should be the mist important factor
    Of course!

Consider this:
    A speaker with 8 Ohm rating will only let half the current flow compared to a 4 Ohm at the same output voltage of the amp, hence half the power. I'm no power freak, but the volume of the stock radio might not be enough to hear weak AM stations if you switch the stock 4Ohm speaker to 8Ohm replacements. Happened on my car.

The Ohm-rating is actually an impedance and thus a complex resistance which varies according to frequency and other stuff, so the nominal impedance is never truly comparable to a pure resistance. Ohms Law...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with what you're saying but that's only if all things are equal. I know I can find an 8 ohm speaker with an efficiency over 100 DB. That would be significantly louder with less power but a typical 4 ohm car speaker. Pair that with a week amplifier that will reach it's Distortion threshold early and it could be a better combination.
    I'm in the planning stages of a good system in my car that'll probably start in Spring when it's more friendly to doing fiberglass work. I might drag out some test equipment and measure the impedance curves and phase response of the factory system. With the door locations I wouldn't be surprised if some phase correction would be beneficial to the stock sound system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    I'm in the planning stages of a good system in my car that'll probably start in Spring when it's more friendly to doing fiberglass work. I might drag out some test equipment and measure the impedance curves and phase response of the factory system. With the door locations I wouldn't be surprised if some phase correction would be beneficial to the stock sound system.
    Be sure to start a new thread on your phasing work.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)