Thread: 2021 vs 2020 and earlier MPG

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2021 vs 2020 and earlier MPG

Looked at the website today and saw 2021 is rated at 41MPG for hatch vs 43 and the city is down to 33. What gives? The G4 is still rated the same. Now the G4 supposedly gets same highway MPG and 2 better city even though it weighs more???? Can't be the new grille since g4 has the same new one.

Looking through the specs the horsepower of the same engine dropped down to 76 but the MPG is still the same.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Looked at the website today and saw 2021 is rated at 41MPG for hatch vs 43 and the city is down to 33. What gives? The G4 is still rated the same. Now the G4 supposedly gets same highway MPG and 2 better city even though it weighs more???? Can't be the new grille since g4 has the same new one.

Looking through the specs the horsepower of the same engine dropped down to 76 but the MPG is still the same.
    I've compared the 2020 & 2021 Mirages, & the mpg stats are exactly the same. One must compare apples to apples (CVT to CVT verses Manual to Manual).

City/Highway/Combined MPG are exactly the same in 2020 & 2021 -

CVT = 36/43/39
    Manual = 33/41/36

Not sure what happened to 2 hp in 2021, however?

The 2021 Mirage is the same car with a different front bumper & grill. Some trim levels like the LE have been stripped of a few features (heated seats, 15" alloy wheels), but I'm sure the price doesn't reflect that.

Someone who reviews cars for a living won't find this car to be any different than a 2017-20 Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-02-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My own 2014 Mirage ES hatch gets better than 33 in the city with the manual. That's 7.1 L / 100 km's in Canada speak, and my Mirage might drop to 5.9 L / 100 km's stuck in traffic.

I've seen 3 or 4 reviews, pro reviews, who remark that their tester Mirage actually got better fuel economy than the slated epa numbers for the Mirage.

I think for 2021 Mitsubishi may have further tweaked the 1.0 and 1.2 L engine in some way. Plus the EPA & Canadian EPA ratings system keeps evolving too. I heard in the old days car manufacturers cheated or exaggerated their fuel efficiency. The Mirage actually does get 43 MPG lol. And with ease and simple tech, so that's the real bonus.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This means that the 2017's through 2020's ES manuals, are the "John Force Special" of all Mirages. With the additional 2 hp, the acceleration can be brutal. I'll see you guys in my side view mirror (3 feet back) at the drag strip finish line!

VW cheated their mpg numbers with their TDI (I think it was), and got pinched. I forget all the details, it's been a while since that happened, and has been a while since I worked in automotive. Probably at every OEM, they have a dyno lab and is where EPA goofballs come in and witness EPA testing of vehicles. On said dyno, vehicles are put through a specific driving program. In an effort to make apples-to-apples comparisons from vehicle to vehicle. If (for example), the Mirage can easily beat its ratings (which I know it can), and other makes hardly ever even reach the same mpg zone as the ratings ... tell me games aren't being played. The game is, to make a vehicle seem very fuel efficient ... for marketing reasons.

The 4 cylinder Santa Fe and Sorrento were give some unbelievable mpg rating. I want to say it was 31 mpg highway. But in reality, most never saw above 25 mpg highway. Which is why I recommended to my family (that were dumb enough to buy a H-K product) to get the V6. The V6 ran like stank and got nearly the same mpg. The one thing H-K was never afraid to do, was to let an engine run, and run for all it was worth. And back when I was there, the vehicles we built had no speed limiters. See https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...nata-car-news/.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    This means that the 2017's through 2020's ES manuals, are the "John Force Special" of all Mirages. With the additional 2 hp, the acceleration can be brutal. I'll see you guys in my side view mirror (3 feet back) at the drag strip finish line!

VW cheated their mpg numbers with their TDI (I think it was), and got pinched. I forget all the details, it's been a while since that happened, and has been a while since I worked in automotive. Probably at every OEM, they have a dyno lab and is where EPA goofballs come in and witness EPA testing of vehicles. On said dyno, vehicles are put through a specific driving program. In an effort to make apples-to-apples comparisons from vehicle to vehicle. If (for example), the Mirage can easily beat its ratings (which I know it can), and other makes hardly ever even reach the same mpg zone as the ratings ... tell me games aren't being played. The game is, to make a vehicle seem very fuel efficient ... for marketing reasons.

The 4 cylinder Santa Fe and Sorrento were give some unbelievable mpg rating. I want to say it was 31 mpg highway. But in reality, most never saw above 25 mpg highway. Which is why I recommended to my family (that were dumb enough to buy a H-K product) to get the V6. The V6 ran like stank and got nearly the same mpg. The one thing H-K was never afraid to do, was to let an engine run, and run for all it was worth. And back when I was there, the vehicles we built had no speed limiters. See https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...nata-car-news/.
    I thought vw cheated the emissions testing then a bunch of people were "shocked" that their car wasn't as good for the environment.

That's funny about the H-K. I remember a friend who had an older pos spectra claiming he got his up to some ridiculous unbelievable speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I thought vw cheated the emissions testing then a bunch of people were "shocked" that their car wasn't as good for the environment.

That's funny about the H-K. I remember a friend who had an older pos spectra claiming he got his up to some ridiculous unbelievable speed.
    Yeah, the VW was something like that. You being a car guy you probably know this but, a diesel performs a lot better at low rpm (acceleration) if it is over fueled a bit. The extra fuel tends to "burn" hot in the turbo causing the turbo to spool up more quickly (something like that), and boost is a good thing. But that over fueling is not necessarily good for mpg or for the environment. So VW cheated in some way to prevent the over fueling during the test cycle. But in other driving situations it would perform better with said (slight) over-fueling. VW wasn't being terrible people really, they wanted the best possible driving condition for their customers, but to be able to pass required testing. Was it cheating? Hmmmmm. I suppose.

As for your Spectra friend, maybe he wasn't so full of it after all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've compared the 2020 & 2021 Mirages, & the mpg stats are exactly the same. One must compare apples to apples (CVT to CVT verses Manual to Manual).

City/Highway/Combined MPG are exactly the same in 2020 & 2021 -

CVT = 36/43/39
    Manual = 33/41/36

The 2021 Mirage is the same car with a different front bumper & grill. Some trim levels like the LE have been stripped of a few features (heated seats, 15" alloy wheels), but I'm sure the price doesn't reflect that.

Someone who reviews cars for a living won't find this car to be any different than a 2017-20 Mirage.
    Strange Mitsubishi would start advertising the Mirage by the manual mpg numbers this year. You wouldn't think that would help sales...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)