Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage Issues? (I'm considering buying a used or leftover Mirage)

I try to change fluid every 30,000miles. Just pulling the plug and refill takes about 2.5L. If you jack up the back of the car you can get another 1/2 liter. It's not a bad idea to change the paper cartridge filter on the side as well once in a while. There are a bunch of post's about it. I've been using universal cvt fluid (that meets oem specs) for years now on the Nissan's and Mitsubishi's. That reminds me, I should change mine soon too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    Since someone brought up the subject of CVT fluid changes how often are those of you with a CVT doing a drain/fill and how much fluid does it take? I'm planning on doing a drain/fill with new filter at 30K on the Versa. I've got 10 quarts of Nissan NS-3 fluid that I bought online a few months ago. Dealer price is usually $20+ a quart. I picked up these 10 quarts for $125 and was just wondering how many drain/fills it will do. At some point when I've used this fluid up I'll probably stop using Nissan fluid and go to one of the aftermarket fluids unless I start hearing lots of horror stories associated with their use.
    NS-3 Fluid will work perfect in the Mirage Jatco CVT. Great deal too!
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Just out of curiosity...do you know at what temperature your Versa will give a warning for overheating CVT fluid?

According to the Mirage service manual, you won't get a CVT overheating warning until the fluid has reached 137C/279F. That seems high to me. Just curious what other manufacturers are doing.

Name:  CVT Temp warning.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  59.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Rebuilt Mirage I'd be nervous but sounds like you know what your doing. I have 2 CVT Mirages, a 2014 @ 75k miles and a 2017 G4 @ 50k miles. We bought both of ours used in March of 2019. So far, they've held up pretty good I've done 2 cvt fluid changes per car, twice at a Mitsu dealer and twice at Aamco. I really recommend Aamco because they do a lot more for less $ than a dealer. They change both cvt filters, change the fluid using OEM cvt brand, clean the drop pan and the magnets. A dealer does none of this, only a drain and fill and charge you a $100 more in my experience. If you can work on your own car and order from Rock Auto your gold as far as parts go. If your a novice like myself and depend on a trusted mechanic (avoid all Mitsu service centers) your sh#t out of luck and still paying for expensive OEM parts because most shops use Napa/AutoZone, which the Mirage has very little in parts with those and they won't put in a Rock Auto part for you because they can't warranty it. At least that's been my experience. I had to get my rear drums/brake shoes replaced and 4 times the aftermarket parts didn't fit even though it said they did! Finally my mechanic had to go to a Mitsu dealer and measure out 2014-2015 shoes there just to install them. It would of costed me $700 just for the cheapo drum job but they honored their initial quote, most places won't do this, I got lucky. I'm not saying this will be your experience all the time, I was able to get an aftermarket serpentine belt from Napa put on no problem, but just be wary. As far as cvt reliability with diligent maintenance, its such a toss up honestly. Fummins has managed to keep his fleet of 40 Mirages going with 6 premature cvt failures between 100k to 150k miles I believe? And believe he has a couple over 200k miles (original cvts) and a lot over 150k miles? Can't remember. So I guess my point is that yes, the cvt7 in the Mirage will hold up better than in a Versa, hypothetically. But its a crap shoot. Of course if you just drive a car 100k miles and trade in like many do, the Mirage ain't bad. If your like me and really need your Mirage to hit that magical 200k mile mark or till the wheels fall off, you might want to think of a Yaris instead. Or hell you might have a unicorn Mirage that hits 400k miles? IMO if a Versa garners a "D-" in cvt reliability, the Mirage gets a "C+" and the Toyota/Honda /Aisin cvts gets an "A". The eCVT in a Prius gets an "AAA+" in longterm reliability.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've maintained a fleet of Mirages with the scary cvt since late 2014....I've seen a bunch of failures. The fleet cars are beat to **** everyday though. If we had 5 speeds I'd be replacing clutches, transmissions and axles. The theory is the cvt lasts longer in the Mirage cause it's lighter and has far less power than other cars that use the same cvt. Seems legit.

I finally broke down and bought a low mileage 2014 cvt about a year ago cause I needed something cheap on gas that wouldn't break down on me, and was cheap and easy to maintain. My engine is pretty ticky sometimes but so are a few of the 2015 Mirages at work and they've been like that for years with no sign of stopping.If it gets too annoying I'll just buy a used one for $500 and replace it one weekend. I've actually never replaced a Mirage engine. None of them leak oil or coolant and never have except for the odd one that took a rock in the rad by fluke.

In the fleet we also have some 2015-2020 Nissan nv200's and 2012-2013 Sonics. I prefer the Mirages over the other. The Sonics do have a lot more power and handle better on the highway but suck in every other way. Timing belt, non serviceable transmission, constantly wearing out sway bar links, axles, oil leaks, coolant leaks, just ****ty cars. The Nv200's are holding together drivetrain wise but just suck to work on, the belt is a pita to replace and so are spark plugs. And there are lots of little things that fail like wiper transmissions, heater motors, windows don't work in the cold.

If you can find a good deal on a Mirage I'd go for it. They probably won't drive as nice as a Versa but the cost of ownership will likely be far less than most other vehicles on the road. Except for insurance, they aren't the cheapest to insure.
    As already mentioned, these are written off cause they're cheap cars to begin with and it doesn't take much for the cost to repair to be more than the value of the car. But these are easy to repair, the entire rad support just unbolts from the frame rails.
    Bunch of CVT failures? I thought out of your fleet of 30 to 40 you've only had 5 cvt failures? Or is it 6 now?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I try to change fluid every 30,000miles. Just pulling the plug and refill takes about 2.5L. If you jack up the back of the car you can get another 1/2 liter. It's not a bad idea to change the paper cartridge filter on the side as well once in a while. There are a bunch of post's about it. I've been using universal cvt fluid (that meets oem specs) for years now on the Nissan's and Mitsubishi's. That reminds me, I should change mine soon too.
    My plans are to change the cartridge filter each time I do a drain/fill. From everything I've read and found on the Versa that's the only transmission filter. If I'm incorrect please let me know.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Just out of curiosity...do you know at what temperature your Versa will give a warning for overheating CVT fluid?

According to the Mirage service manual, you won't get a CVT overheating warning until the fluid has reached 137C/279F. That seems high to me. Just curious what other manufacturers are doing.

Name:  CVT Temp warning.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  59.4 KB
    I don't know. I'll be trying to find out though. You can download the FSM here if you'd like to take a look and see what you can find. https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

My plans are to change the cartridge filter each time I do a drain/fill. From everything I've read and found on the Versa that's the only transmission filter. If I'm incorrect please let me know.
    There is another fine mesh strainer filter that you can replace when you pull the oil pan. It looks like a conventional automatic filter. And if you wanna be super anal, there are a handful of teeny tiny little cylindrical screen filters inside the valve body.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

2016 Versa (01-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Bunch of CVT failures? I thought out of your fleet of 30 to 40 you've only had 5 cvt failures? Or is it 6 now?
    I forgets, counting is hard. I guess we're actually up to 6now unless I'm forgetting one?

-The first was a 2015 with 300k km, (input bearing failure)
    -then one with over 200k (input bearing failure)
    -then one was covered under warranty for making a noise with under 100k (dunno wtf happened, sounded like output shaft/clutch noise)
    -there was a 2015 that was ridden hard and put away wet before 160,000km(100,000miles) but they wouldn't cover it under warranty cause nobody ever serviced it(not my doing) ((input shaft bearing failed)
    -then the 2017 blew up recently and I suspect that was caused 1000% by abuse or retardation (a gear sheared off a one of the drums)
    -and this most recent 2015 is still on the hoist feeling neglected. It needs both mirrors too, the glass may have broken into a million pieces when I hauled it from the boonies on a trailer backwards. (so far looks like input bearing failed as there are pieces of it in the pan)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...You can download the FSM here if you'd like to take a look and see what you can find. https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals
    Wow...that's an amazing website if you need a service manual for a Nissan product.

I pulled down the 2016 FSM for a Sentra and searched through the CVT portion. I could not find anything in there about a specific CVT temperature that would be considered too high. The CVT temperature sensor is an input into determining "fail-safe" mode for protecting the CVT...but they don't mention what that temperature value is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)