Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone Mount

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Fummins, have you ever been driving before and have the suction cup mount fall as you're driving? I had that happen one time... I had an old Garmin GPS... And just as I was making the right hand turn the suction cup came off and fell into my lap lol, I almost had a heart attack! Haha, have you had any bad luck with phone mounts?

Edit: The Magnet and Cup Holder phone mount seem to be the best out of all the ones that I've researched. If you go for a suction cup mount 7milesout, make sure you find one that has very good suction as I've bought several over the years and none of them worked well for me.

Last edited by MirageRally; 01-04-2021 at 09:18 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Hey Fummins, have you ever been driving before and have the suction cup mount fall as you're driving? I had that happen one time... I had an old Garmin GPS... And just as I was making the right hand turn the suction cup came off and fell into my lap lol, I almost had a heart attack! Haha, have you had any bad luck with phone mounts?

Edit: The Magnet and Cup Holder phone mount seem to be the best out of all the ones that I've researched. If you go for a suction cup mount 7milesout, make sure you find one that has very good suction as I've bought several over the years and none of them worked well for me.
    Yeah, I had that happen too. I won't use the suction cup stuff anymore. Maybe I just buy the junk one? The worst thing I had come loose was a phone I had poorly mounted in a ghetto shelf I built in my rzr. I stopped in a mud hole and my phone went swinging past me dangling by the power cord then came unplugged and landed in the water... Whoopsy doodle!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Regardless, I'd like to see pictures of your mount or possibly read your ideas / opinions. Thanks MF members!
    WeatherTech was pushing their "CupFone" recently -

https://www.weathertech.com/weathert...AaApmZEALw_wcB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am extremely lazy, so I didn't take a picture, but...

In the Mirage, the best place to mount your phone is next to the A pillar to the left of the steering wheel. In that position, it's effectively the same as a HUD when you are using navigation - you hardly have to take your eyes off the road, even. Hanging devices from your mirror is actually illegal in some places (per my friend, so citation needed there).

If you get a cheap phone mount, you're going to have a bad time. If you attached the phone mount to the dash, you're going to have a bad time. I have been using this mount for some time, and have it (effectively) upside down and attached to the windshield. It has stayed in place through hot and cold weather and all kinds of driving. Unlike cheaper mounts, it is super adjustable, and when locked into place does not vibrate. The "suction cup" part of it has a layer of tacky material which is probably what has allowed it to stay in place so well.

For charging without having to do too much retrofitting on your car I would recommend installing this into one of your existing button blanks to the left of the steering wheel. Combined with a 1.5ft USB cable (1ft is too short!), you will have a tidy and compact little system that looks professional, is easy and convenient to use, and doesn't get in the way when you are not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like this little phone mount on Amazon. It is so compact it can find a home on most any real estate-challenged dash.

Cons:
    1. The magnet may not be strong enough if your phone is in a case. I cut a hole in the back of my case so that the magnet has direct contact with the supplied metal plate which goes between the phone and case. My other phone has a thin case and doesn't require a hole.
    2. The swivel isn't real tight so the phone can rotate away from vertical when cornering hard or on bumpy roads. I fix this with a little piece of velcro on the upper back side of the phone, with the corresponding piece on the dash (visible in 2nd pic).
    3. The a/c button is completely hidden by the phone in my setup. Surprisingly, however, this is the only significant disruption of dash controls (The left side radio controls are obscured but I don't use those anyway).

Pros:
    1. Cheap
    2. Only need a 1" diameter area on dash to mount.
    3. Phone is close to driver and charge port.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

In the Mirage, the best place to mount your phone is next to the A pillar to the left of the steering wheel. In that position, it's effectively the same as a HUD when you are using navigation - you hardly have to take your eyes off the road, even. Hanging devices from your mirror is actually illegal in some places (per my friend, so citation needed there).
    That left A-Pillar location is probably my 2nd best choice. 2nd only because there would be a wire laying across the dash (maybe), and sooner or later the suction cup on the window is going to let go. But the suction cup mount you posted is pretty awesome.

And even if the mirror mount is illegal, I don't care about that. The mirror mount would never fall off. And I could run a power wire down behind the mirror from the OHC / room lamp, and the wire would barely be noticeable. That would be clean. Like the below image.

Name:  Mirror Mount.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  36.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

If you get a cheap phone mount, you're going to have a bad time. If you attached the phone mount to the dash, you're going to have a bad time. I have been using this mount for some time, and have it (effectively) upside down and attached to the windshield. It has stayed in place through hot and cold weather and all kinds of driving. Unlike cheaper mounts, it is super adjustable, and when locked into place does not vibrate. The "suction cup" part of it has a layer of tacky material which is probably what has allowed it to stay in place so well.

For charging without having to do too much retrofitting on your car I would recommend installing this into one of your existing button blanks to the left of the steering wheel. Combined with a 1.5ft USB cable (1ft is too short!), you will have a tidy and compact little system that looks professional, is easy and convenient to use, and doesn't get in the way when you are not.
    I run a slightly different, but essentially the same, mount in what sounds like the same place. It's the only thing I have found that works for me. I have not had the suction cup fail on the phone mount, unlike my dash cam mount, which comes un-suctioned about once a month, randomly.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bralexander For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (01-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I like this particular mount so much that I have one in each of my cars. It is always in the same place. I put my phone here because it is easily readable and I don't really have to take my eyes off the road. Basically, it is the same as looking in my rear-view mirror. The phone is also up out of the way and I don't have cords snaking all over the place. It also can't easily be seen by anyone looking in my car. Most of the mount itself is hidden behind the mirror so it does not obstruct my view of the road. It looks like the phone is further away than it is in this picture but it is actually right on the end of the mirror and tilted towards me.

The mount is very solid so the phone does not do a lot of bouncing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Cobrajet - That's a good location. I like it. Is it attached to the mirror? I like the under mirror idea, the problem with the under mirror is it is only available (as far as I know) to be held in man-mode (landscape). I'd like to be able to rotate it to girl mode sometimes, but I don't think it would rotate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.myphonecase.com/products...iABEgJlWfD_BwE

Here ya Go 7milesout

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles