Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Prius owners? Have you considered one?

Am I correct in assuming the Prius prime has the fuel door on the drivers side and the charge port on the passenger side? Sounds ass backwards to me if that's the case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Yerp:

Name:  prius-prime-snow.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  37.8 KB

You're thinking: that's gonna be a lot more expensive when you drive away with that plug hanging out compared to a block heater plug, right?

Toyota anticipated that: you can't shift out of park when it's plugged in. And it tells you you're still connected.

One of the nice things about the plug: like most plug-ins you can turn the cabin heater on via the fob. Preheating from the grid is pretty nice & efficient.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-06-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I knew that! Difference between "isn't selling" (my words) and "is no longer for sale".

I wonder if Toyota would ever cancel the Prius hatchback, even if sales dropped to the Mirage's level. Prius sales have been falling like a rock since 2013, but it's a technological halo car for them.

U.S. Prius sales, 2020: 43,525 (best year 2012 @ 236,655 sales)

U.S. Mirage sales, 2020: 19,136
    Gotcha. The newest style Prius does have cool-looking tail fins. "tail fins"

All Prius' probably come with key fob. Unlike my own Mirage haha. I see everyone preheating their cars every night after work, and then there's me with my key.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, but at least you're never going to accidentally drive off in your Mirage without your fob in your pocket, and then you can't start it again at your destination.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, but at least you're never going to accidentally drive off in your Mirage without your fob in your pocket, and then you can't start it again at your destination.
    Wth, is that a thing? I woulda figured it'd lock the shifter if the key wasn't nearby? I've wanted to try that in the Sorento but never have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wth, is that a thing? I woulda figured it'd lock the shifter if the key wasn't nearby? I've wanted to try that in the Sorento but never have.
    It just makes a super annoying ass chime and lets you know you dont have your key. It would be impossible to forget as it is a constant chime that never stops and it shows missing key light on the dash.

Gotcha, I would have figured they'd have some anti theft deal sorted out to stop that from happening. Like lock out the shifter or shut the engine off after a set time if no key is within proximity.

But I guess that'd be a pita if someone decided to toss the fob out the window while driving down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    It would be impossible to forget
    It would be impossible for YOU to forget.

I know two people who've done it. People who don't pay attention to idiot lights/noises (hey, turn the radio up!). Or actively ignore them because they don't know what they mean. (EDIT: In both cases happened when switching drivers after dropping someone off, and the dropped-off person had the fob.)

I also know someone who seized an engine because they thought the oil light meant "you should maybe think about adding some oil... at your convenience... if it's not too much trouble... when the important things on your list are done."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I knew that! Difference between "isn't selling" (my words) and "is no longer for sale".

I wonder if Toyota would ever cancel the Prius hatchback, even if sales dropped to the Mirage's level. Prius sales have been falling like a rock since 2013, but it's a technological halo car for them.

U.S. Prius sales, 2020: 43,525 (best year 2012 @ 236,655 sales)

U.S. Mirage sales, 2020: 19,136
    I will admit that I live in a bit of a redneck area, & I have driving lessons with a number of 15.5-16 year old boys. These young boys really make fun of the Prius. The discussion/argument is about Ford, Chevy, or Ram trucks not the Toyota Prius. I doubt they would say anything to a Prius owner's face, but they really rip on the car. Not saying they are brightest light bulbs in the car when I am with them!

Prius owners I know have had their cars for years, & I see no indication of replacing them. People are more comfortable buying used cars that have an excellent reliability reputation, too.

Most of all, gas prices have been quite stable. The United States is no longer dependent on foreign oil. Peace agreements have been signed in the Middle East in recent years. These factors have taken high mpg cars out of the lime light. I am not sure all this justifies driving gas guzzlers, but it surely impacts the vehicle market. It's why cars like the Prius c, Yaris, and Fit are disappearing from our market. Good luck buying a new Ford economy car any time soon.

Yet, there's still a push for electric vehicles. When I get tired of my Mirage in 10-15 years, I wonder what will interest me?

I may or may not have been in the sa of some freshly rolled coal.

Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:44 AM.