Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Prius owners? Have you considered one?

chicks dig 'em!

Tell the boys this story: (I swear it's true.)

For a short while, in pursuit of ever more MPG, the Prius looked like this:

Name:  prius-tail.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  66.1 KB

(Yes, that's a plastic-wrapped drag-reducing "boat tail", mounted on a trailer hitch, tail lights integrated in the back. Same overall length as a Ford F-150, FYI.)

One day I was meeting friends at a pub, and there was a parking spot on the street, right in front.

A couple of minutes after I sat down, a very pleasant young lady walked up to our table and asked, "does anyone here own the Prius parked out front?"

I claimed it. ("Admitted" it? While thinking, "crap! Someone hit the car!?")

Then she asked, "WHAT is on the back of it??"

And I swear, from there we had an engaging conversation about aerodynamics. She was genuinely amazed.

We named our children Wunibald (Kamm) and Daniel (Bernoulli).

All 100% true! Except the last line. Who would name a kid Wunibald?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It would be impossible for YOU to forget.

I know two people who've done it. People who don't pay attention to idiot lights/noises (hey, turn the radio up!). Or actively ignore them because they don't know what they mean. (EDIT: In both cases happened when switching drivers after dropping someone off, and the dropped-off person had the fob.)

I also know someone who seized an engine because they thought the oil light meant "you should maybe think about adding some oil... at your convenience... if it's not too much trouble... when the important things on your list are done."
    A couple of years ago as an entry level mechanic I came across a lady that had a similar idea. She brought her vehicle in (was towed) and told me that it doesn't want to start. I checked the transmission was perfectly fine, checked the starter..... I asked her the last time she had an oil change....HA, she responded "I thought it was an electric vehicle so I didn't have to have oil in it"?? Hahaha, upon further inspection, yep her engine seized. Toyota replaced it under warranty.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-06-2021 at 08:20 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Tell the boys this story: (I swear it's true.)

For a short while, in pursuit of ever more MPG, the Prius looked like this:

Name:  prius-tail.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  66.1 KB

(Yes, that's a plastic-wrapped drag-reducing "boat tail", mounted on a trailer hitch, tail lights integrated in the back. Same overall length as a Ford F-150, FYI.)

One day I was meeting friends at a pub, and there was a parking spot on the street, right in front.

A couple of minutes after I sat down, a very pleasant young lady walked up to our table and asked, "does anyone here own the Prius parked out front?"

I claimed it. ("Admitted" it? While thinking, "crap! Someone hit the car!?")

Then she asked, "WHAT is on the back of it??"

And I swear, from there we had an engaging conversation about aerodynamics. She was genuinely amazed.

We named our children Wunibald (Kamm) and Daniel (Bernoulli).

All 100% true! Except the last line. Who would name a kid Wunibald?
    WAIT-so are you telling me from the story that this is your Wife? And Kids? Or just a random lady that you met in the pub that named her kids? I'm confused?Help me out...

No, no. I never saw her again.

I've been back to that pub several times. I've even parked the Mirage out front!

Sadly, no one has ever come up to me and asked, "is that your Mirage??" Not yet, anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lolol ok, I was going to say man, you got the moves!
    I've had many young ladies walk past my car and smile because I guess it's "cute"? I don't know... I'm just glad I can fit in half a parking space Your lucky lady's out there somewhere. (If you don't already have a wife) I don't know...

Fun fact about me: when I get nervous I say "I don't know"
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-06-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Better to keep your mouth shut, or say I don't know, than to say something dumb and prove it.

The story about the lady with the seized engine ... that just irks me. I have a Warden, and she frequently feels the need to try to prove to me by either just outright blabbing about it, or demonstrating in some way that she's smart. Yet when it comes time for something to be done that she doesn't want to do, she acts dumb. Like, "the service engine soon light came on in the car, what do I do?" I tell her to crawl under it and do and oil and filter change. Which then her response to that becomes somewhat hostile. Instead, I'd rather she say, "the service engine light came on in the car ... will you deal with it?" To which I would say SURE.

In any event, if I didn't deal with it, I'd likely have to deal with a seized engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Better to keep your mouth shut, or say I don't know, than to say something dumb and prove it.

The story about the lady with the seized engine ... that just irks me. I have a Warden, and she frequently feels the need to try to prove to me by either just outright blabbing about it, or demonstrating in some way that she's smart. Yet when it comes time for something to be done that she doesn't want to do, she acts dumb. Like, "the service engine soon light came on in the car, what do I do?" I tell her to crawl under it and do and oil and filter change. Which then her response to that becomes somewhat hostile. Instead, I'd rather she say, "the service engine light came on in the car ... will you deal with it?" To which I would say SURE.

In any event, if I didn't deal with it, I'd likely have to deal with a seized engine.
    Yup. Years ago I had a it around for a full day on the battery.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yup. Years ago I had a driver in an old mazda break down right on a busy road. Right in traffic. I get there and the battery is stone dead. I boosted it got it running and see the bright red battery light on......I ended up just changing the battery quickly and drove it back to the shop. I mention the battery light to the driver and they said "oh yeah that's been on since yesterday morning. It still ran fine so I didn't bother saying anything".....So they drove it around for a full day on the battery. Smart like stick.
    Most people assume a battery light means they need a battery eventually but, dont know what they actually need is an alternator.

It means it's under or over charging. I n product.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It means it's under or over charging. I had that light come on one Mirage. It was charging at 15volt iirc. There was a broken wire in the harness. It came back down to normal after that was fixed but that same car has always gone through headlight bulbs every few months even to this day.

The only other battery light I've dealt with over the last few years was a brand new nissan nv200. The battery light would come on and go out at random. The nut holding the power wire to the back of the alternator was falling off. Another high quality Nissan product.
    You Canadians seem to love Nissan. Only place were i regularly see people still willing to buy Altimas and Maximas.