Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Any Prius owners? Have you considered one?

That's funny - I was thinking the exact same thing the other day (ELR). But then I realized, unlike the Volt platform it's built on, the Caddy isn't a liftback, even though the roofline kind of suggests it SHOULD be:

Name:  2017 Cadillac ELR.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  19.8 KB

No hatch kind of kills the idea for me.

Seems from what I've read about that car is GM over-engineered the drivetrain - ownership/reliability surveys back that up. Issues seem to be around things like infotainment. I could kinda maybe see myself rolling the dice on a used Volt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    l Love the older style Prius (2010-2015) Rather than the 2016-2020....the 2015 looks like a "salmon" and l think it suites the car perfectly whereas the new 2021 Prius looks like a "wolf"...like the CH-R and 2017 Toyota Rav4 and looks....different is all...bc looks are subjective....but l have to say l Love the tailights on the 2021....if they had the 2015 Front with the 2021 Rear Taillights...ahh maan, maybe in ten years after my warranty is up next car? lol.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's the thing about cars...l'm like a kid in a candy store...sooo many choices and colors...different textures...different tastes...the list goes on and on....it gets tiring after awhile but for the most part is fun to see different options. l'll use a well known brand of cookie/sweet/snack to represent Toyota....Reese's candy...they sell just the candy that tastes good time after time...they make great sweets and their ads are just that...the product showing being eaten and that's it...no fluff or crazy stunts...just the candy...but not all people like Reese's and that's fine, they're are plenty of other candy (cars) to choose from.

That's the best l could think of off the top of my head. Hope you liked it
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Spotted this tidbit at Jalopnik today...

The Prius tops the list of cars that people keep the longest in the U.S.

Attachment 20454

More: https://jalopnik.com/a-different-toy...kee-1846085467
    It took about 5 years for Prius sales to take off (100,000+ vehicles sold/year). Sales have really dropped the past 3 years (well under 100,000/year). Do we attribute that to owners being content with the Prius they already have? No need to upgrade? Why buy new when used ones are so dependable?

Even though I am skeptical of CVTs, the Prius has a great powertrain. If I wasn't so hung up on liking manuals, I would have considered a used Prius c. At the same time, a simple CVT Mirage has the same 43 highway mpg rating as the Prius c, & those of us with manuals know what our cars can do.

Sales numbers since 2000 below -

https://carsalesbase.com/us-toyota-prius/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-21-2021)

Prius CVT is absolutely more reliable than a JACTO CVT, and arguably more durable than a conventional automatic. No belts - it's a planetary gearset design. Arguably even more reliable than a manual gearbox (no clutch, no synchros).

The Prius C might get similar highway MPG, but head to head it would spank the Mirage's overall/combined MPG. (Still won't touch the Mirage for total cost of ownership though.)

I think Prius sales have tanked because (1) there's more high-efficiency competition than there used to be, (2) gas is cheap, and (3) people are buying CUV's/SUV's instead of cars. The Rav4 hybrid now outsells the Prius.

Hey... maybe people keep their Toyotas for so long because they're boring and reliable so they forget how long they've owned them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-21-2021),MirageRally (01-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that the U.S. is returning to an energy dependence policy, gas prices will start to creep up in the States. That may boost sales of the Prius (and Mirage) if it goes high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Now that the U.S. is returning to an energy dependence policy, gas prices will start to creep up in the States.
    What cancelled pipeline?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What cancelled pipeline?
    I can answer that one. New President. Former one kept us from having any foreign oil needs.

Hey, no politics.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Hey, no politics.
    I didn't bring it up. I just answered the question. If my answer is wrong, someone can correct me. It can end there.