Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil filter issue

Aparently the dealer refuses to sell us the mz690072 for the Mirage. They claim that filter causes engine problems and they've had to replace a bunch when using that filter. We only have 2 cars that have warranty left that I service and I've never had to replace an engine yet.... I see they don't list the mz690072 on the 2 mitu parts sites I just checked. But they do show the 1230a105 and at the bottom of the page a MD360935

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you for all your replies!! Very kind of all of you, the garage mounted a Crossland filter code 501660068! The oil used is a Castrol 5w30. I love this car, just the gearbox sometimes is noisy and not fluid when you shift to the second gear

To make things more confusing... I went to the wix filters site.

When you cross reference the mitsu recommended numbers you get this:

Part Number: Manufacturer: Wix Part Number:
    1230A105 MITSUBISHI 51083
    MD 360935 MITSUBISHI 51356
    MD 360935 MITSUBISHI 51356XP
    MZ 690072 MITSUBISHI 57356
    MZ 690072 MITSUBISHI 57356XP

Then if you look up the filter by vehicle, WIX says it uses a 57356. I just looked at a wix 51083 on the shelf, it's not even the right filter. It's larger diameter and wouldn't even work on a Mirage. There were only two in stock and both were the same. Both the 51356 and 57356 use anti-drainback valves.

I think this was mentioned many moons ago though.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-07-2021 at 04:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giandago View Post
    Thank you for all your replies!! Very kind of all of you, the garage mounted a Crossland filter code 501660068! The oil used is a Castrol 5w30.
    Not familiar with that filter (or brand for that matter). The Mirage calls for 0W-20 engine oil but should run okay with 5W-30. Most around here stick with the thinner 0W-20. One individual swears by thick engine oil - his engine is ruined and is being replaced. Not sure if the thicker oil had anything to do with it, but the correlation is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Giandago View Post
    I love this car, just the gearbox sometimes is noisy and not fluid when you shift to the second gear
    Forum members have found shifting gets easier after a few thousand miles/kms and/or replacing the factory lubricant with a better quality synthetic. Not that the factory gear oil is bad, just forum members who have changed theirs nearly always report an improvement in shift quality.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Aparently the dealer refuses to sell us the mz690072 for the Mirage. They claim that filter causes engine problems and they've had to replace a bunch when using that filter. We only have 2 cars that have warranty left that I service and I've never had to replace an engine yet.... I see they don't list the mz690072 on the 2 mitu parts sites I just checked. But they do show the 1230a105 and at the bottom of the page a MD360935
    Why do you go to the dealer for these things? Isn't there no warranty with commercial use?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not familiar with that filter (or brand for that matter). The Mirage calls for 0W-20 engine oil but should run okay with 5W-30. Most around here stick with the thinner 0W-20. One individual swears by thick engine oil - his engine is ruined and is being replaced. Not sure if the thicker oil had anything to do with it, but the correlation is there.

I just looked up the uk owners manual.https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/owners/manuals Wow! It basically calls for brown oil. They don't seem to car much what goes in it. They spec everything from 0w20 to 20w50 lol.

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

Forum members have found shifting gets easier after a few thousand miles/kms and/or replacing the factory lubricant with a better quality synthetic. Not that the factory gear oil is bad, just forum members who have changed theirs nearly always report an improvement in shift quality.
    Thank you for your help, the problem here is the temperature outside as well, during this period it is most of the time between -3° and 3°

Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Why do you go to the dealer for these things? Isn't there no warranty with commercial use?
    Our cost on the mitsu filter was actually a little less than the wix. The mz filter I used for years looked like a decent filter pre-greased gasket and was actually a little taller than the wix 51356 and 57356. Though I don't have any of those on hand to tear apart.

The fleet guy who sold us the Mitsu's guaranteed they have full warranty just like regular cars. And so far the only claim that's been denied was a cvt that nobody ever serviced from a different city.

Nissan covered a warranty issue on a van we have. Even went so far as to cover it when it was out of warranty when the same problem reappeared a year after they initially "fixed it".

I've yet to hear of a warranty claim being denied because it's a commercial vehicle. When I took a ford into the dealer a few months ago I was directed to a fleet service advisor. I got a rear main seal replaced under warranty with no questions asked. When I dealt with Nissan over an intermittent problem I dealt with the service manager after the second time around. They were great to deal with.

Our nearest mitsu dealer was severely lacking every time I had to deal with anyone there. Maybe that changed? The parts guy today claimed the filter we were using since 2014 were causing engine failures. I don't believe anything they say. But maybe they have new staff in the service and parts department that know something now?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Both the 51356 and 57356 use anti-drainback valves.
    Those are the 2 I was referring to in my previous post. What I read here on this site somewhere was that the 57356 is now the recommended filter versus the 51356. I don't want to guess what the differences are but the change to the 57356 was to reduce the rattle at start up. I'll be honest, The times I've already changed my oil, I used the 51356. And I do get a rattle.

I'll change to the 57356 soon, hopefully I'll report back any improvement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Those are the 2 I was referring to in my previous post. What I read here on this site somewhere was that the 57356 is now the recommended filter versus the 51356. I don't want to guess what the differences are but the change to the 57356 was to reduce the rattle at start up. I'll be honest, The times I've already changed my oil, I used the 51356. And I do get a rattle.

I'll change to the 57356 soon, hopefully I'll report back any improvement.
    Rockauto.com & Wix application chart lists the 57356 & 57356XP

O'Reillys lists those two & the 51356.

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Ap...aspx?Section=1

If you look up a Wix oil filter, you will see MANN+HUMMEL plaster on the top of their site. I prefer MANN + HUMMEL oil filter companies -

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/areas...roduct-brands/

If I lived in Europe, I would be using MANN+HUMMEL & Filtron oil filters instead of Wix & Purolator. Someone on the forum claimed Filtron made some of the best oil filters on the market, but I am not going to look that up or confirm it.

If my memory serves me right, a MANN + HUMMEL company has taken over production of Mobil 1 oil filters. Which means Wix or Purolator could be making them, too.

Last edited by Mark; 01-07-2021 at 09:01 PM.