Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter issue

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I've chirped about it before but I use the Baldwin B1431. Largest filter that will fit I've found without any clearance issues in the Mirage and it sure makes oil changes nicer since you can grab ahold of the filter much easier. It's definitely not the cheapest but I use the same filter in my Mirage and the Outlander Sport so I keep one on hand here at the house. When I change oil in either one I just order a replacement to keep on hand for the next time either vehicle needs an oil change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-08-2021),Fummins (01-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I've chirped about it before but I use the Baldwin B1431. Largest filter that will fit I've found without any clearance issues in the Mirage and it sure makes oil changes nicer since you can grab ahold of the filter much easier. It's definitely not the cheapest but I use the same filter in my Mirage and the Outlander Sport so I keep one on hand here at the house. When I change oil in either one I just order a replacement to keep on hand for the next time either vehicle needs an oil change.
    As far Mitsubishi goes, all the current models use the same filter. Even the 1.5L turbo in the Eclipse and the 6-cylinder engine used on upper trim level of the Outlander use the same filter.

Personally, I tend to use the Purolator ONE (10,000 mile rated), & I change oil/filter every 5,000 miles. If I did longer intervals I would use the Purolator BOSS. I use these, because my local Farm & Fleet store carries them. If I was buying filters from Rock Auto or local auto parts store, I may go with the Wix.

I would never hesitate to use the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter sold by most everyone either. I know some like to slam Fram, but the Ultra Synthetic is way better than most oil filters on the market.

I would never rule out Baldwin oil filters, but I would have search for or order one. Sometimes, it's just easier pulling what you need off the shelf.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-09-2021),inuvik (01-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    As far Mitsubishi goes, all the current models use the same filter. Even the 1.5L turbo in the Eclipse and the 6-cylinder engine used on upper trim level of the Outlander use the same filter.

P
    I guess Mitsubishi needs to do a better job of advising/training their parts department and parts interchange?

Stupid question, does anyone know what TORO stands for? The mitsu 1230a105 filter on mitsu parts direct site has "non toro" under the description. And if I look up oil filter using the Mitsubishi ASA parts lookup thing it lists 1230a105(non toro) as well as MD360935 with "TORO" under the remarks box.
    So 1230 is non toro and md36 is Toro. TORO what?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Personally, I tend to use the Purolator ONE (10,000 mile rated), & I change oil/filter every 5,000 miles. If I did longer intervals I would use the Purolator BOSS. I use these, because my local Farm & Fleet store carries them. If I was buying filters from Rock Auto or local auto parts store, I may go with the Wix.

I would never hesitate to use the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter sold by most everyone either. I know some like to slam Fram, but the Ultra Synthetic is way better than most oil filters on the market.

I would never rule out Baldwin oil filters, but I would have search for or order one. Sometimes, it's just easier pulling what you need off the shelf.
    Absolutely correct, doesn't matter if you have the 1.2, 2.0, 2.4, 3.0. They all take the same filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess Mitsubishi needs to do a better job of advising/training their parts department and parts interchange?
    When I look up all the current Mitsubishi models on Rockauto.com, they all use the same oil filter.

A parts guy at Mitsubishi dealership shouldn't need to look up oil filters, unless he isn't very bright. Eventually, the light bulb should come on!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Next time you order filters from a Mitsubishi dealership, tell them you need an oil filter for a Mirage, Outlander Sport, Eclipse Cross, & Outlander. When he ask you if it's the 2.0L, 2.4L, or 3.0L for the Outlander Sport & Outlanders. Tell him you need oil filters for all of them. If you're having a boring day, you can watch the moron look up the same oil filter over & over again!

Yes I get that filter mfgs say one filter fits all. And that’s fine. I’d use them all.
    The point I’m trying to get across is Mitsubishi doesn’t say that mz690072 filter should be used on the mirage anymore. I’m positive it used to come up when I’d look up a filter on the US MITSUBISHI parts websites but it doesn’t now. Just got sharts look it up or call a dealer? I might call one of the other ones in town here too and see what they say.
    I usually find it hard to find a dealer willing to look up parts without a vin though. And I don’t blame them. When I was at my last job we constantly ran into know it all condescending customers with retarded requests and get annoyed when they’d be asked the make model and year of their pos car so the parts guy could look up parts. The best was when a customer orders an engine and then calls up *****ing that they got it installed but the crank pickup is different. Then it turns out they ordered the wrong year of engine cause they thought they were all the same lol
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-08-2021 at 01:05 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Then it turns out they ordered the wrong year of engine cause they thought they were all the same lol
    It's the same here with snowblowers. I get calls @ home on a Sunday afternoons..."I need a belt for my Snowblower..." I ask for a model #, & they say it's a Canadian Tire one, they are all the same. I sell them anything I grab off the belt rack & wait for them to come back... Or they insist there are no numbers on their Briggs & Stratton engines.... People....
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    It's the same here with snowblowers. I get calls @ home on a Sunday afternoons..."I need a belt for my Snowblower..." I ask for a model #, & they say it's a Canadian Tire one, they are all the same. I sell them anything I grab off the belt rack & wait for them to come back... Or they insist there are no numbers on their Briggs & Stratton engines.... People....
    I've been annoyed a few times when I've had to drive back home and get those stinking numbers stamped on a Briggs & Stratton engine to get a simple spring or something. Darn parts people!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

2016 Versa (01-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Look at the "Oil Filter Part Number" thread. foama explains how some oil filters have a bypass valve (in addition to an anti-drainback valve) allowing for smoother startup while oil pressure is still low. The oil filter you want is a WIX 51356 or equivalent because it has a bypass valve. The 57356 or equivalent (which now comes up as the recommended filter) is noticeably rougher at startup and that's what you are experiencing now. Also, if you live in a really cold region, I would stick with 0W-20 or even 0W-16 oil.