Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Oil filter issue

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven Slow View Post
    Sorry for taking a couple weeks to get around to this but I cut open a Napa Platinum 47356 and a WIX 51356XP. This should be an apples to apples comparison because the Napa Platinums are juts rebranded WIX XPs. It turns out I was incorrect about any difference between the byapss valves. They both use the spring-type valve someone explained in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B_hWb5mCCg

Although the 7356 does have the recessed baseplate that could conceivably allow for a more secure fit, the major difference is the 1356's superior anti-drainback valve (shown in the foreground). Although both are silicone, the one on the 1356 is much heavier and has more texture. I imagine this makes the difference in preventing dry starts. The filter material also has slightly more surface area on the 1356 as evidenced by the cylinder being slightly taller.

The tension springs that activate the bypass valve and filter gaskets are identical between the two.
    From what I have read, the 51356XP is an older oil filter that was originally designed for Honda engines. There was an issue with this filter being used on other other engines like Mitsubishi. Thus, they redesigned the filter (creating the 57356XP) to fit other engines better.

Wix website only recommends the 57356WP oil filter for the 2014-21 Mirage. I see no reason to use something they don't recommend.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark, I think you're right. I hope my photo posted OK; I just wanted to show any physical differences between the two filters that might account for the difference in valvetrain noise at startup that the OP was concerned about. I suspect the heavier anti-drainback valve on the 1356 probably probably makes a difference. Obviously, any independent place that does an oil change is going to use what's recommended so the vast majority of us will never end up with the 1356 in our cars again.

Now, I did ask the salesperson at my local O'reilly if they could see the auto brands that use the 1356 and there are about a dozen. In fact, there are some years of the Lancer that still call for either part number. Both 7356 and 1356 are recommended. Considering how similar the filters are internally, I really don't understand how one could be detrimental to the Mirage engine and not the Lancer's turbo 4. I'm sure there's a Lancer forum somewhere comparing the two.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi, just wanted to share my experience with this.
    Yup, my engine rattled under -20 -30 C, so the dealership had to replace it. I used different filters and stopped with mobil 1 m1 110 with mobil 1 extended performance 0w20 oil. No issues now, even -40 feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Giandago View Post
    Hi all,
    I went to a garage to service my Mirage but I am pretty sure they put the wrong oil filter. The engine, when is cold,it is rattling for alf second during the start. I was thinking to change the filter,but I am not sure which one is the best between the genuine from Mitsubishi or the Filtron OP575. I want to use a decent filter for my little car, has anyone had this rattling problem before? If yes, which filter did fix the problem?
    Thank you in advance for the help
    Vovanchik and Mirage Musya

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 40.3 mpg (US) ... 17.1 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giandago View Post
    Hi all,
    I went to a garage to service my Mirage but I am pretty sure they put the wrong oil filter. The engine, when is cold,it is rattling for alf second during the start. I was thinking to change the filter,but I am not sure which one is the best between the genuine from Mitsubishi or the Filtron OP575. I want to use a decent filter for my little car, has anyone had this rattling problem before? If yes, which filter did fix the problem?
    Thank you in advance for the help

I use the OP575 and recommend it because it has given the best results of all tried, and that was many. No comparison to the cheap Mitsubishi filter that doesn't even have an anti-drainback valve. It is easy to obtain all over Europe and the UK, and not expensive at all, starting from €2.60 a piece, or only round about US$ 2.-
    The height of the OP575 is 85mm, being a bit longer than the original, but it fits fine and the filter element is much larger. It also features a bypass valve.

Filtron officially lists the OP575 for the Mitsu Space Star II (the European name for the Mirage), and also for the Attrage, these with either 3A90 and 3A92 engines. See their web pages.

Here some pix of the cut open OP575 after a 10 000km oilchange:

Name:  all parts.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  95.9 KB

The highly flexible anti-drainback valve held in a pinch:

Name:  valve.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  66.9 KB

The parts as they are in the can. Note the perfect fit and seal of the anti-drainback valve on this used filter.

Name:  together.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  98.4 KB
    Last edited by foama; 01-29-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I use the OP575 and recommend it because it has given the best results of all tried, and that was many. No comparison to the cheap Mitsubishi filter that doesn't even have an anti-drainback valve. It is easy to obtain all over Europe and the UK, and not expensive at all, starting from €2.60 a piece, or only round about US$ 2.-
    The height of the OP575 is 85mm, being a bit longer than the original, but it fits fine and the filter element is much larger. It also features a bypass valve.

Filtron officially lists the OP575 for the Mitsu Space Star II (the European name for the Mirage), and also for the Attrage, these with either 3A90 and 3A92 engines. See their web pages.
    For the person who started this thread, the Filtron OP575 sounds likes the way to go. It's also one of the filters he asked about, & it seems very affordable there.

I looked up the Filtron OP575 on Amazon, & it is $22.36 here. It does include free international shipping from the UK, but that's more than anyone needs to spend of a good oil filter.

Most of the better oil filters have good anti-drainback & bypass valves these days.

The company that owns Filtron is now the same company behind the making of Mobil 1 oil filters, which someone just expressed good results, too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am using a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter and have had absolutely no valve train rattle on cold starts. I guess the Anti Drain Back Valve makes a difference.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiritorb For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-30-2021),Mark (01-30-2021)