Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil filter issue

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Oil filter issue

Hi all,
    I went to a garage to service my Mirage but I am pretty sure they put the wrong oil filter. The engine, when is cold,it is rattling for alf second during the start. I was thinking to change the filter,but I am not sure which one is the best between the genuine from Mitsubishi or the Filtron OP575. I want to use a decent filter for my little car, has anyone had this rattling problem before? If yes, which filter did fix the problem?
    Thank you in advance for the help

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    The problem you are describing (rattling sound) is not unusual for these engines. At startup, once the valvetrain receives lubrication from the oil pump the rattling usually goes away.

Both filters you have listed are good filters.

What viscosity oil was used in this fill? Have you checked the oil level?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

The dealer used to sell us a mz690072 filter for the mirage. For the last 6 months or so they claimed we were ordering the wrong filter and sell us the 1230a105 which doesn’t appear to have the anti drain back valve like the “mz” filter has and it’s quite a bit shorter. Out dealer is retarded. I’d rather use the mz690072 filter but oh well, not my call...I haven’t noticed any out of the ordinary noise one the fleet cars except the typical rattle for a few seconds right after an oil change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    My Mirage has rattled at startup since birth. It now has 4,000+ miles on it. I heard the latest WIX oil filter part number for our Mirages had some changes to help address this. I think the new WIX number is 57356. I'll be using that one next time, and will see if it does any less rattling. But yeah, mine rattles for about a half second.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    My Mirage has rattled at startup since birth. It now has 4,000+ miles on it. I heard the latest WIX oil filter part number for our Mirages had some changes to help address this. I think the new WIX number is 57356. I'll be using that one next time, and will see if it does any less rattling. But yeah, mine rattles for about a half second.
    He asked about the Filtron oil filter. MANN + HUMMEL make very good oil filters, & they own Filtron (more of a European brand), WIX, & Purolator.

If it's unclear all Mitsubishi oil filters have anti-drainback valves, I would use the Filtron oil filter.

I use a MANN + HUMMEL Purolator oil filter, & I don't notice any rattle at start up.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The work cars here probably do that too, I think I have selective hearing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    He asked about the Filtron oil filter. MANN + HUMMEL make very good oil filters, & they own Filtron (more of a European brand), WIX, & Purolator.

If it's unclear all Mitsubishi oil filters have anti-drainback valves, I would use the Filtron oil filter.

I use a MANN + HUMMEL Purolator oil filter, & I don't notice any rattle at start up.
    It's clear that all mitsubishi filters don't use an antidrainback valve. The 1230a105 that our dealer sells us look just like the filter that come with these from the factory. There is no visable antidrainback valve.

I'll show you!! I'll cut one open right meow

I don't have anymore mz690072 filters, recyclers took them away months ago.The closest thing I have to compare to is a wix 51358. It's actually a hair taller than the mitsu filter but the actual filter material is way smaller. But it has metal end caps where the mitsu filter doesn't even have any.

I'm gonna see if I can get the MZ filters this time around and do a comparison of the two mitsu ones in a month. I someone reminds me.
    Attachment 20313Attachment 20314
    Mitsu 1230a105 on the bottom and wix 51358(nissan filter) on top
    Attachment 20315Attachment 20316Attachment 20317
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-07-2021 at 01:18 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-09-2021),Top_Fuel (01-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    WOW! That Wix filter medium is pretty shocking. Considerably smaller.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    WOW! That Wix filter medium is pretty shocking. Considerably smaller.
    Yeah I though so too. That's what I've been using in the Nv200's here and a bunch of Murano's I've serviced at home. It's a pretty common Nissan number. It looks pretty wimpy. Even my 800cc Kawasaki Teryx calls for the same 51358 on the wix site.