Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too much oil?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Find a walmart parking lol?
    I'm in NYC, nearest large parking lot is 15 or more miles away that will let me get away with an oil change. There are laws against any car maintenance other than washing it in the city. It sucks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Went back and he took nearly a full quart out. Getting individual quarts next time to have some more control over it. All's well now. Still on the cars warranty so I'm stuck at 6 month/5000 mile replacement even though 7500 is fine to me (and apparently Mitsubishi....it says so in their manual ). Thanks for all the good info here, this was more stressful than it should have been that's for sure.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-07-2021),Top_Fuel (01-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Went back and he took nearly a full quart out. Getting individual quarts next time to have some more control over it. All's well now. Still on the cars warranty so I'm stuck at 6 month/5000 mile replacement even though 7500 is fine to me (and apparently Mitsubishi....it says so in their manual ). Thanks for all the good info here, this was more stressful than it should have been that's for sure.
    That's better than what we have to follow. "severe" schedule 6000km/3700miles oil changes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's better than what we have to follow. "severe" schedule 6000km/3700miles oil changes.
    That's just plain nuts! Guess preserving the environment isn't high on the list up there.....

They just charge carbon tax and say it makes the environment better. Then to add insult to injury you then pay tax on the carbon tax(fee) that they add on to stuff. It boggles the mind.

In comparison my 2020 Teryx holds 3.8qts of oil and they recommend changes either every 6 months or 1000kms I believe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My understanding is that it used to be recommending that oil be changed around every 3000 miles, anyway. But then they upped the recommendation to 5000/6000 miles in order to try and protect the environment a bit.

The thing is (again, anecdotal evidence), the oil itself didn't change. Still the same. So maybe it's a good idea to still change it regular, anyway. Doesn't cost too much, I don't think.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    My understanding is that it used to be recommending that oil be changed around every 3000 miles, anyway. But then they upped the recommendation to 5000/6000 miles in order to try and protect the environment a bit.

The thing is (again, anecdotal evidence), the oil itself didn't change. Still the same. So maybe it's a good idea to still change it regular, anyway. Doesn't cost too much, I don't think.
    I generally go with the manufactures recommended change out time, with full synthetic oil it goes a very long time like 7500 miles or more. That in the end saves you a small fortune along with going for the off branded oils like Amazon Basic (the same stuff as Walmart's house brand). They've proven to work great.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

The base oil may not have changed much but standards have improved the additive pack over time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The owners manual for my Versa says 3.75 qts. with filter and 3.375 without filter. There's no way that little filter holds nearly 1/2 qt. of oil. I'd say 8 oz. maximum. I always change the filter on mine and put in 3.2 qts. Even at 3.2 qts it reads just slightly over the full mark (approximately 1/8") but since this a Japanese car and they use the metric system I thought 3L made perfect sense. I'm satisfied with 3.2 quarts, slightly over the full mark right after the oil change and slightly below the full mark when it's time to change it. I went to 5K mile OCI's on conventional oil probably over 10 years ago with no adverse effects. In the last year or so I've started 7.5K intervals.
    Last edited by 2016 Versa; 01-08-2021 at 02:24 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Find a walmart parking lol?
    Add a Fumoto oil drain valve & park over one of those Walmart parking lot drains. Simple!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-08-2021),MirageRally (01-08-2021)