Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too much oil?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    I'm in NYC, nearest large parking lot is 15 or more miles away that will let me get away with an oil change. There are laws against any car maintenance other than washing it in the city. It sucks.
    Really? That's strange...l can do an oil change at Walmart... But I don't want someone walking by me as I'm under my car

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Add a Fumoto oil drain valve & park over one of those Walmart parking lot drains. Simple!
    Yes I second that... Well the Fumoto drain plug lol.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Yes I second that... Well the Fumoto drain plug lol.
    Yeah! I wasn't totally serious on that one!

If I was having an overfill issue, I would park my car in a flat area before leaving the auto shop. I would let it sit for a few minutes and check my oil level. If it that overfilled, it's going to be obvious after a very short time. If it's not done right, I would have it corrected immediately! I would let them know you are doing this before they even start the job.

I do all my own oil changes, but if someone else did one for me I wouldn't leave their parking lot without checking it first. I'd be just afraid of not having enough oil added, too.

If auto shop has multiple mechanics, the best ones aren't doing the oil changes!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-08-2021),poorman1 (01-10-2021)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Hi all!

Yesterday I made by myself the filter and oil change for first time on my Mirage. I have added exactly 3 liters o oil (as it says on manual). Then turned on the engine for a few minutes and then after let it sit for a while (5/10 minutes) I've checked the dispstick and it looks fine without reaching the "max hole".

Today after driving the car for a few kms I have rechecked the level and it looks like about 2 mm above the "max hole". So, my questions are:
    - Must I remove some oil to get below the max mark?
    - I get two readings on the dipstick. In one side I get it exactly the "max hole" filled and nothing much above and then on the other side I get like 2mm above the hole:
    * What must I consider the correct read?
    * Must I check the oil on morning before turn on the engine or 5/10 minutes after have used it? (I'm not sure if this can do different reading due the oil temperature)

I will recheck the dipstick with the car completely cold to see if there is any difference on it. On dealership they always exceed the max level and I always removed that excess (but it was like about 8 mm)

(3A92 59kW)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    No, you're fine. 2mm above the full level mark is not going to give you problems. You can just leave it be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

edPower (01-10-2022)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Hye, here's my experience w the oil change. My first time doing it, drained the oil and chugged 3litre in the engine, yep simple as that. And i found its above maximum lvl too. But things did not end there, i feel the car need to rev higher than it would normally do, plus i noticed a drop in my fuel consumption ( from 21+km/l to 17km/l). Yeah it's a nuisance to get dirty with the oil all over again, but after 2weeks driving it, i took the plunge and drain a bit of the oil, and measure the dipstick until it meet in the mid oil range. Got my car running smoothly and fuel consumption back to normal ever since. Now if im going to change the oil, i will pour only 2.8 litre or anything less than 3litre, and check the dipstick too make sure it right in the middle.

I put washer fluid in my car and now it’s slower.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Change that washer fluid to water wetter and it will go faster again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Hilariously I DID show him the owners manual to prove it took 3 quarts....but he insisted it read very low when he did that and he added another quart(it's a 5 gallon jug). No issues, he'll fix it, just annoying doing it twice in one day. I wish I still had a place/space to change it myself again, but NYC is at a premium for that sort of nonsense nowadays
    You said the right thing, or better, HE said the right thing and took the appropriate action. Saved himself from one of my acerbic tirades about "mechanics!" Har, har!
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Washer fluid reservoir is half the size of the fuel tank, so not surprising. Carrying alot of extra weight of bug juice.