Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sad day today (1/7/21), I lost my Mirage...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That's correct, liability only. In the 3 years I have owned that car, full coverage would have cost me more than the car was worth. So I'm still money ahead.

Heck. I have a 2010 LS 460L, macked out, badass car. Liability only... My brand new Mirage ... liability only. I figure if my LS 460L, which is still worth at least double what the Mirage is worth can run liability, my Mirage can too.
    If someone is still making payments, full coverage is sort of required by most lenders. Apparently, you can afford the risk of two young sons driving your vehicles (including a new Mirage) with just liability.

Insuring young boys is expensive. This accident may not help either!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Well - I may have spoke too soon. My youngest is 15. He won't turn 16 until April. I have started all my boys on a 2003 Camry. Well they got to drive a golf cart around town here too. But the Camry is more or less a big fancy golf cart. That car is so easy to drive that it allows them to focus on how to behave in traffic before I move them up to an upgraded stick shift car (G35).

So, the Camry is sort of available now until April since I just bought my senior in high school his upgrade G35. So, my oldest son took the Camry and went back to college with it. I have until April to figure out what to do about the crashed G35. Or by April my youngest 16 year old son will kick my oldest son out of the Camry. At that time, the Mirage is subject to be used by other than me. So for now, the Mirage stays with me. Whew!

Name:  20210110_174050.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  99.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-12-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Well - I may have spoke too soon. My youngest is 15. He won't turn 16 until April. I have started all my boys on a 2003 Camry. Well they got to drive a golf cart around town here too. But the Camry is more or less a big fancy golf cart. That car is so easy to drive that it allows them to focus on how to behave in traffic before I move them up to an upgraded stick shift car (G35).

So, the Camry is sort of available now until April since I just bought my senior in high school his upgrade G35. So, my oldest son took the Camry and went back to college with it. I have until April to figure out what to do about the crashed G35. Or by April my youngest 16 year old son will kick my oldest son out of the Camry. At that time, the Mirage is subject to be used by other than me. So for now, the Mirage stays with me. Whew!

Name:  20210110_174050.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  99.2 KB
    Well at least you believe in universal car possession lol! ; )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (01-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I see these Inifiniti's out being driven by... spirited... drivers on a regular basis. Would you be able to comment on reasons why these particular cars seem to be so popular? My understanding is that they are rather expensive (luxury) brand new. Do they massively depreciate over time or something? They seem to be surprisingly zippy for what they are - like 300hp from a V6, right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I see these Inifiniti's out being driven by... spirited... drivers on a regular basis. Would you be able to comment on reasons why these particular cars seem to be so popular? My understanding is that they are rather expensive (luxury) brand new. Do they massively depreciate over time or something? They seem to be surprisingly zippy for what they are - like 300hp from a V6, right?
    I'm no expert, but the more expensive a car is, the more room they have to depreciate. And Nissan hasn't faired well over the past 5 to 10 years. They've sort of taken a hit on their reputation. That being said, my favorite genre of car is RWD, coupe, manual transmission. The more power the better. My first car was a 1984 Celica GT. I think it had about 115 hp. RWD, coupe, manual. The G35 is a lot like that car, but with about 295 hp V6. The G35 is like a baby brother to the 350Z, but maybe with a bit more luxury. Because they are Nissans, their value tanks, but they are quite a good car. The 2005 G35 cost me $7,500. The 2007 I just bought, because of covid, used prices are higher, I just paid $8,200 for the 2007 G35. It is possibly a bit better car due to haven been better taken care of, than the 2005. But the 2005 was taken care of pretty good.

The G35 is a less expensive (cost and insurance) to a 350Z that fits my favorite genre. My oldest son is not such a car guy. I had to convince him of a G35. But once I upgraded him (because he took good care of that Camry), he fell in love with his G35. I just think bang for the buck for a youthful vehicle, it doesn't get much better than a G35. I told my sons I wouldn't buy them a car with no rear seat (like the 1993 RX-7 I used to have) because I want them to have a car that is youthful, but versatile, can carry some of their junk or some friends. A 2 seater is nice, but is very limited what it can do. The G35 is a great car at this time for the money.

I prefer a Scion FRS or Subaru BRZ (or newer Toyota 86) to the G35 ... but decent examples of those cars go for double or more as compared to what a G35 can be had.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

I don't have a clue what I'm gonna do for my kids as far as wheels go. My dad made me buy my own cause I was turd. My sisters both got 1 free decent (at the time) vehicles. One Taurus and one Stratus.

I'll probably help out my kids too. I'm sure they won't be as stupid as I was as a teenager. But then there's that karma thing....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Probably just wait til your close to that time to figure it out. I think it depends on the kid a lot, and your financial circumstance.

If you ask me, $7,500 is my very top of the line what I would buy them. I didn't know what I was going to do either. But I wanted them to be able to cope and have their best chance of survival when they are required to be driving. Like, when they get out on their own. I didn't want them to have to figure it all out then. But it depended on them as well. If they were just going to be unappreciative hellians, then I would have either bought them no car, or a complete turd (like a old worn out civic, not that that's such a bad car or bad idea either).

Oldest son - Fairly responsible, much better at things than he would ever give himself credit for, not a partyer.

Middle son - The "sport" of the family, yet seems the one most likely to panic, have hand-eye cordination failures and spaz out in higher stress driving conditions ... the most likely to have an incident ... and I'm worried. But saw him driving today with 3 pedals and looks much more confident and good at it.

Youngest son - A complete motor-head like me. He and the oldest about the same skill, but the youngest is the type that will be washing his car every day (at least to start with). He wears me out talking about cars. He's talking about wanting a Mitsubishi Starion (manual trans of course) for his first (upgrade) car, instead of a G35. He's trying to get me to let him drive the Mirage to start with, instead of the Camry because the Mirage is a 5 speed (ain't gonna happen). I don't know about a car such as a Starion in his high school parking lot. It is too awesome of a car to drive to his school. The girls there turn the parking lot into a bumper car track 5 minutes after the last class.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My son turned 13 not long ago and he's not nearly as into cars as I was at 13, but with my most recent toy purchase, and experiencing good V8 rumble along with a couple spirited side-steps of the clutch, he is coming along nicely LOL.

However, when we were casually talking about what he might like to drive when he turns 16, he immediately said, I want a clean V6 Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger. Said he wanted to look cool but not get into trouble and get better gas mileage! HAHA!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Probably just wait til your close to that time to figure it out. I think it depends on the kid a lot, and your financial circumstance.

If you ask me, $7,500 is my very top of the line what I would buy them. I didn't know what I was going to do either. But I wanted them to be able to cope and have their best chance of survival when they are required to be driving. Like, when they get out on their own. I didn't want them to have to figure it all out then. But it depended on them as well. If they were just going to be unappreciative hellians, then I would have either bought them no car, or a complete turd (like a old worn out civic, not that that's such a bad car or bad idea either).

Oldest son - Fairly responsible, much better at things than he would ever give himself credit for, not a partyer.

Middle son - The "sport" of the family, yet seems the one most likely to panic, have hand-eye cordination failures and spaz out in higher stress driving conditions ... the most likely to have an incident ... and I'm worried. But saw him driving today with 3 pedals and looks much more confident and good at it.

Youngest son - A complete motor-head like me. He and the oldest about the same skill, but the youngest is the type that will be washing his car every day (at least to start with). He wears me out talking about cars. He's talking about wanting a Mitsubishi Starion (manual trans of course) for his first (upgrade) car, instead of a G35. He's trying to get me to let him drive the Mirage to start with, instead of the Camry because the Mirage is a 5 speed (ain't gonna happen). I don't know about a car such as a Starion in his high school parking lot. It is too awesome of a car to drive to his school. The girls there turn the parking lot into a bumper car track 5 minutes after the last class.
    I can remember being like your youngest... Super into cars back in the day and wanting to drive something unique. I guess I still am that way to some extent. But boy, I learned the value of a dollar super quick when I first started driving. I also learned that (1) girls really don't care [and actually probably dislike] if you have a cool car, and (2) having a cool car as a daily is stressful as all hell.

Fun anecdote: I gave my Mirage the nickname of "Piddles" and hung an air freshener in it so it smells nice. I have had more girls compliment/get excited about "taking a drive in Piddles" than any other car I have owned.

All that being said, while the ladies love Piddles, they still don't like me... :'(

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My youngest says, "a Skat-Pack at minimum." I tell him to keep dreaming. My FD3S I had would have made him the happiest boy in the world ... but maybe a dead one too. Probably a good thing I sold it.