Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad day today (1/7/21), I lost my Mirage...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts

Sad day today (1/7/21), I lost my Mirage...

Well about 2:20 eastern time my oldest son crashed his 2005 G35 (6-speed). Helluva car. It was his fault too. He's perfectly fine. If anybody had been in the passenger seat they would have been seriously injured or kilt. So I thank God for those 2 blessings (no one in the passenger seat and he wasn't hurt).

But, due to losing his car, he's going to have to have something to drive. He heads back to his college this coming Sunday night. My Warden is now driving a 2009 Matrix (auto-turd). I figured she'd want to drive the Blueberry since it is a 2020 and she likes to drive a manual. But she said she doesn't want to drive a blue car (that's just silly, blue is the perdiest, what's wrong with wimmins?).

So, I guess my son will take little Blueberry to college. He sure as $h1t ain't driving my Lexus LS 460L, or my big ole Dodge truck ... or my Plymouth Scamp. Sort of a sad day, since I'm losing the Mirage after such a short love affair. He will appreciate the car but will miss the additional 220 hp he had over and above the Mirage's power.

He's mentally distraught at the moment. Which I'm glad to know he cares ... but it hurts me too. He's angry at himself for ruining a $7,500 car, and sad because he loved his G35. Twas a helluva car.

In the mean time, I'm going to figure out what to do. How far fetched is it that it could be fixed? Should I repair or replace it? Should I just let him take over the Blueberry? I really don't know how this is going to play out, and don't like not knowing. And another kicker is, about 2 weeks ago I bought a 2007 G35 6-speed (red) for my middle son. So now my oldest son is going to crank up a puny little Blueberry, and see his brother's hot red G35 leaving the house. That's torturous. Oh well. Life is ups and downs. Would be boring if it weren't that way.

Call me stupid, throw out your input (what would you do), spin this thread off into a zillion other directions ... I'm fine with anything. Just wanted to vent.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-08-2021),MirageRally (01-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm glad you guys are all all right!
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    See how much it is to repair it and if it's more than you bought for it then I would look for another replacement or just give him your car. Just my .02
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    It's pretty well skwarshed. I'll put a picture up later, when I have the chance to get one. Dern blessed he wasn't hurt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-08-2021),MirageRally (01-07-2021)

That sucks! Glad your kid is alright. Was it his fault by doing something stupid(racing,mustang burnout,driving like an idiot) or by doing an honest mistake accident?

I used to do a lot of stupid things when I was a teenager but I never wrecked, thank god! My dad knew I was an idiot so made me buy my own vehicles and wouldn't insure them under their policy. Though they bought my sisters cars and insured them while they went to college. It worked out in the end.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Glad your son isn't hurt. Cars can be replaced. Accidents happen! Venting is alway good!

Did you have collusion on it? Will you get something for the wrecked G35?

It's probably harder to impress chicks with a Mirage verses a G35, & that would be a bummer!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First off, glad he's okay. Car wrecks suck.

Second, if it's his fault (especially if it's something stupid he did) then I sure wouldn't give him your Mirage haha. I was never given a car from my parents and had to work hard to get my cheap old Aries K and the other vehicles I had back then. Might be a good lesson if it's fixable to make him learn how to fix it. If it's totally destroyed, well, cheap beater time. There's plenty of $1000 old Corollas out there that run and drive just fine which will get him back and forth to school. Also, the insurance rate on the Mirage isn't that great especially for a younger driver who just wrecked their car so that might be something else to think of.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-08-2021),poorman1 (01-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wanting to help your kid with transportation is noble. But, I'm with the post above.

Kid destroys his car in an at-fault crash that could have killed somebody... you don't hand him the keys to a brand new car. Period.

If you feel the need to help, go straight to Craigslist and find a cheap beater. But, seriously... consider letting him walk/Uber for a while. He didn't die, and nobody else died. But, the pain should involve more than "I'll sure miss that car."

The primary thought for the car you buy him should be "how cheap will the insurance on this car be?"

And all the additional cash you'd be pumping into paying for a vehicle for him... buy him some driving lessons. I'm not kidding.
    Simplify and add lightness.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    First off, glad he's okay. Car wrecks suck.

Second, if it's his fault (especially if it's something stupid he did) then I sure wouldn't give him your Mirage haha. I was never given a car from my parents and had to work hard to get my cheap old Aries K and the other vehicles I had back then. Might be a good lesson if it's fixable to make him learn how to fix it. If it's totally destroyed, well, cheap beater time. There's plenty of $1000 old Corollas out there that run and drive just fine which will get him back and forth to school. Also, the insurance rate on the Mirage isn't that great especially for a younger driver who just wrecked their car so that might be something else to think of.
    I wasn't given a car either, & I couldn't afford a car until I was a junior in college. I worked extremely hard on my parent's dairy farm growing up, & I was never offered a car. I could borrow my parent's car when I was home, however.

My oldest daughter went through college (UW-Madison) without a car. Then again, she did her senior year in southern France. She lives in Helsinki now. Her husband (my son-in-law) has an older Fiat Punto, & that one car is shared with both his parents and his sister. I live by myself, & I own two vehicles. They are welcome to borrow my Mirage whenever they visit the States, however.

When my younger daughter needed a car after graduating from college, I steered her in the direction of a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. She felt she could spend about $5,000 on a car, & she ended up with a nicely maintained Civic in that price range. It's been a great car for her.

My former in-laws gave my two daughters their old Ford Taurus to used during their high school days, & they made good use of it for after school events and local jobs. The Ford Taurus only had liability insurance. One of my daughters had a fender bender with it, & we had it fixed somewhat cheap. My youngest daughter did use that car at college, & it was replaced by her 2003 Civic when she graduated.

My parent's never bought me a car, & I can't really say I bought either of my daughters a car.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-08-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Let him keep the Mirage and make car payments on it and pay the insurance. Now he still has a ride to school/work and is learning about paying bills/car note. As his old man though, I'd cut him a great deal on the blueberry, say $3k. 30 month loan @ 0% interest. As far as seeing baby brother's red G35, while he sits in his Mirage. Hell that's punishment enough.