Thread: Remember Aptera? Well, they're back!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question Remember Aptera? Well, they're back!

https://www.aptera.us/

So those who have been around for a while remember Aptera back in the 2000s when they had their spaceship looking Aptera Hybrids / PHEVs / Range Extended Hybrid 3-wheeler.

But then in 2008-12 stuff went sideways and they ended up being bought, then the original owners left and it basically died, and they went insolvent.

Much to many people's surprise, the original owners are back, and have relaunched a improved and pretty different Aptera 3.

The new version has two in-wheel motors (can get three for AWD), and can be configured with up to 700w of PV cells to add up to 40 Miles a day (in optimal conditions).

Available batteries from 25kWh up to 100kWh. They're estimating the top of the line 100kWh version will get over 1000 miles on a single charge because of how efficient it should be (under 100Wh per mile).

I've pre-ordered one for giggles, mainly because the only reason I don't have an EV currently is because I can't charge it anywhere in my apartment building... but if parking it outside is enough to add at least 20 Km per day where I live... then it's kind of a moot point, that and by the time it ships to Canada it will be 2022 at least.

I pre-ordered the 25kWh version with the full solar package, as I can't foresee many reasons why I'd need to go more than 400 Km before stopping at a quick charger (which will be very quick because of how small the battery is).

Starting price is $25900 USD, so it's not a 'cheap' car by any means, but with tax breaks it could well be under 20K for many people.

Interesting to see how it is regulated, as a motorcycle or as a car? Time will tell.

So far they've reserved over 5000 of them, so there is definite interest.

What do you think of the 'new' Aptera 3?

Last edited by javensbukan; 01-08-2021 at 02:25 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Related Car & Driver article...

Aptera Taking Orders for EV That It Claims Never Needs Charging

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-08-2021)