Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New Car & Driver review of '21 Mirages from yesterday

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A Mirage key has a chip in it. There's no battery or signal being sent out from it. It's not the same thing. The remote portion of the keyless entry has a battery to send a signal to operate the power door locks. That signal is sent out whenever a lock/unlock button is pushed.

Someone can't sit next to me & get the signal to my car from a chipped key. I'm not sure the same can be said about a push button start fob. Key fobs are constantly broadcasting a signal that communicates with a specific vehicle.
    A regular hardware key with a transponder chip is similar to the KOS transponder but with limited range. They use inductive coupling to energize the chip to get it to broadcast its security code. Inductive coupling is used in electrical transformers. Its also found in proximity badges used in commercial building card access systems and contactless credit cards, so it is not a new technology but it explains how it can operate without a battery. With the right equipment it’s code can be read.

Conventional hardware keys might be more vulnerable than the KOS transponder. The KOS transponder, when registered to a car cannot be paired with another. This suggests that the vehicle immobilizer sends a code to the KOS transponder which only transmits its code with a valid, registered query.

Last edited by Eggman; 01-15-2021 at 02:47 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nope! I love my decked-out Speck, a 2015 ES. With a standard transmission to boot. Can't do that anymore.

Can't speak for everyone else of course lol.
    I am coming back to this, because your decked-out Speck is not all that different than any of the 2021 Mirage trim levels.

The 2021 ES, LE, & Carbonite Edition have all the features of your Speck, except for push button start (2021 SE) & no alloy wheels for the ES. You listed a bunch of features Speck has in another post in this thread, but today's ES now has them, too! The exception is push button start.

You tell us over & over again that you love your decked out Speck, & that's great! My point is that the Mirage has become fairly decked out at all trim levels since 2015.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    . Conventional hardware keys might be more vulnerable than the KOS transponder.
    Can you provide proof for that?

Even if someone did read the chipped key programmed to my Mirage, I don't think they are getting very far with the key in my pocket. From most everything I have read a chipped key is more secure, but you're entitled to think differently.

"Basically, with keyless starts, your key emits a code that can be picked up by the car. That code is also pretty easily picked up by scanning devices, which can then replicate the code and direct it back to the car. And, voila: a potential thief now has entry to your vehicle."

"At the end of the day, the keyless cars were easier to steal than those that had a standard key. Picking the lock often set off noisy alarms that alerted surrounding people that something was going wrong, whereas with keyless cars, there was no warning to owners that their car was being taken.." Taken from -

https://jalopnik.com/heres-just-how-...standard%20key.

I have zero worries about someone stealing my Mirage, but I would much rather have a chipped key that can be easily replaced for under $15. That price includes having it cut and programming it is just a matter of following the instruction in your owner's manual & doing it yourself (no tools needed).

For those who like push button start, it's still offered on the top SE trim level. It's one of the few things that separates the top trim level from the other three.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I am glad Mitsubishi offered a small fuel efficient car with standard transmission, pushbutton start, automatic climate control, power windows, anti-lock brakes, a full complement of airbags, automatic stability control, and lots of other great features at a great price. I’m not interested in a stripped-down version. Not everyone wants a bare-bones car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My weather techs are solid with no wear but I do wear soft rubber crocs 90% of the time I'm driving so that might help.
    I'm always wearing boots, tracking in snow and slush.

For $180 I hope the Weather techs are truly all-weather mats. I'm sure they'll be great. I'm honestly still keeping my duct-taped mat because you never know.
    Last edited by dspace9; 01-15-2021 at 11:23 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Can you provide proof for that?

Even if someone did read the chipped key programmed to my Mirage, I don't think they are getting very far with the key in my pocket. From most everything I have read a chipped key is more secure, but you're entitled to think differently.

"Basically, with keyless starts, your key emits a code that can be picked up by the car. That code is also pretty easily picked up by scanning devices, which can then replicate the code and direct it back to the car. And, voila: a potential thief now has entry to your vehicle."

"At the end of the day, the keyless cars were easier to steal than those that had a standard key. Picking the lock often set off noisy alarms that alerted surrounding people that something was going wrong, whereas with keyless cars, there was no warning to owners that their car was being taken.." Taken from -

https://jalopnik.com/heres-just-how-...standard%20key.

I have zero worries about someone stealing my Mirage, but I would much rather have a chipped key that can be easily replaced for under $15. That price includes having it cut and programming it is just a matter of following the instruction in your owner's manual & doing it yourself (no tools needed).

For those who like push button start, it's still offered on the top SE trim level. It's one of the few things that separates the top trim level from the other three.
    I'm sure you're right on this. From what I've researched the keyless transponders are always sending out a signal. I assume most makes are similar with the proximity key that lets you unlock the car by pushing a button on the door while standing next to it. I watched some youtubes video's(so it has to be true...) that said people are able to pick up transponder signals from longer distances nowaday's, up to 100ft or more iirc. They claimed people are able walk up the front door of a house(or///) with a high powered receiver, pick up a transponder signal then relay it to a second person standing at the car who is then able to unlock the doors and drive it away? I guess that's how all those newer cars with KOS are being stolen then driven into sea cans to be shipped out of country. Toyota's seem to be pretty popular to steal. I couldn't care less if my car got stolen unless I had beer or tools in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I am glad Mitsubishi offered a small fuel efficient car with standard transmission, pushbutton start, automatic climate control, power windows, anti-lock brakes, a full complement of airbags, automatic stability control, and lots of other great features at a great price. I’m not interested in a stripped-down version. Not everyone wants a bare-bones car.
    Totally agree. And even tastefully stripped down, I'm not 100% sure I would buy it. But I think there would be a fairly large take, if a) it had A/C, and b) the price was enticingly low. Say MSRP of $9,999 for the CHEAPBOX, and $11,999 for the next trim level up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am glad Mitsubishi offered a small fuel efficient car with standard transmission, pushbutton start, automatic climate control, power windows, anti-lock brakes, a full complement of airbags, automatic stability control, and lots of other great features at a great price. IĀ’m not interested in a stripped-down version. Not everyone wants a bare-bones car.
    Believe us! We all know! You keep telling us this over & over again!

You're in luck, because all current 2021 Mirage trim levels come with most of the features found on your top level 2015 Mirage. A base level 2021 Mirage is not all that different than your top level 2015. I am not sure why you jump all over me when I make an effort to point that out?

In all honesty, there's nothing special about the features on a Mirage. Most vehicles these days come standard with these features. A standard transmission (meaning a manual) has become the unique feature/option in recent years.

It's good to know that you're not interested in a stripped-down version of a Mirage. Personally, I don't feel a stripped down version of a Mirage (or any vehicle for that matter) has ever existed for quite some time. A Mirage at any trim level is a nicely equipped car, but most vehicles are like that these days.

I know someone may harp on the fact that a Chevy Spark can be had with roll up windows, & I think who cares? Apparently, some do! You make that very clear, & I appreciate that about you!

I admit that I offer a different perspective at times, but I don't understand your need to defend your Mirage purchase all the time?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Mirage is the bare-bones unit as you know. The things I wish my car has: centre console armrest, or driver's seat armrest, if that's better. Secondly padding for under everyone's left arm. Right arm in England and others. Point being, with no cruise, the hard surfaces really start to take a toll. So I might look into aftermarket leather "fits all" padding, and also one of those cheapo centre console armrests. I don't shop at amazon so it's always a bigger hunt for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My Mirage is the bare-bones unit as you know. The things I wish my car has: centre console armrest, or driver's seat armrest, if that's better. Secondly padding for under everyone's left arm. Right arm in England and others. Point being, with no cruise, the hard surfaces really start to take a toll. So I might look into aftermarket leather "fits all" padding, and also one of those cheapo centre console armrests. I don't shop at amazon so it's always a bigger hunt for me.
    A center armrest & cruise control can be added to most any vehicle. I would favor the 2019 Mirage ES manual over the other years, because it had cruise added that year. Plus, it still had manual climate controls.

Power windows, power locks with remotes, A/C, have always been standard here. Your more basic model was never offered here, & it really isn't offer in Canada any more. Those changes come with an added price, however.

I miss not having cruise at times, too. It's something I may still add some day.

I bought a Mirage, because they were selling for under $10,000 OTD at the time. At that price, features were irrelevant to me. My 1990 Ford Festiva (Mazda design, KIA built, and sold by Ford) was extremely more basic (no radio), but at $5,300 brand new I had money left over to buy any type of car stereo I wanted.

I see the Mirage as affordable, reliable, & economical. If features mess up the affordable part, the car may lose its appeal for some. For those who like extra features (push button start/heated seats), an upper trim level has that covered.