Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New Car & Driver review of '21 Mirages from yesterday

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Bare bones - Taking a fresh think about this, maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical (sort of). I wouldn't buy any car without A/C and cruise. Adding those items makes it NOT bare bones, so ... I guess I have to admit, I wouldn't purchase a bare bones car. I realize this because in 2017ish, I was trying to finagle a deal on an SE (never worked it out). Because at that time I wouldn't buy the ES because it didn't have cruise control. I was surprised with the later ES's came with cruise control.

So no, I don't consider the 2020 ES that I bought to be bare bones. It is fairly nicely equipped, even though the automatic climate control stinks ... just like even the one in my LS 460 stinks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Eggman names 6 great features on his Mirage, and my Mirage has 1 of those 6 features lol. We both have heating in our Mirages.

I think the one feature in my Mirage I love the most is the USB stereo. I have literally thousands of songs and CDs, all at the touch of a button. No need to rewind. The day I picked up my Mirage I also entered the 21st century.
    I still love having a cd player cause I like physical media but yes having a usb stick or using the car play is fantastic. Even if you're not using car play just having bluetooth audio is fantastic.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I guess my point here is that even the 2014-2015 DEs were well equipped. Power steering, power brakes, tilt wheel, power windows, power locks, AC, automatic climate control, power mirrors, remote keyless entry, etc, etc.

Really all the '21 base model has that the '14 base model didn't have is display audio/camera (w/steering wheel controls), cruise control, and a six-way adjustable seat.

The cars are identically equipped other than that, AFAIK, and the same is true for top trim cars. All a '21 SE has that a '14 ES didn't have are mirror-mounted turn signals (the '15s had them), heated seats (in the US), display audio/camera (unless you had the Navigation Package), LED headlights, and the soon-to-be-mandated collision avoidance systems.
    In my opinion, the Mirage lacks a true base level option for 2014-21, but that's a trend for all vehicles these days. Economy cars like a Mirage also need to remain affordable to stay appealing. I realize some owners love extra features, and that is the reason for trim levels. I just wish one of the 4 trim levels was more basic & cheaper.

My point has never been about comparing base levels. My point has been about a current 2021 ES (base level) isn't equipped that differently than a 2015 ES (top level). Push button start, alloy wheels, fog lights, and some chrome/leather trim are probably the main differences as you pointed out. The LE or Carbonite Edition may give you a few of those items (alloy wheels for example), but it would take the top trim 2021 SE to get push button start, 15" alloy wheels, heated seats, & a few other things these days.

I bought a Mirage, because they were selling for $9,000 brand new ($7,500 brand new if I had qualified for 3 more rebates). The only thing I cared about was a manual transmission, decent reliability, & good economy numbers at the time of purchase. Nothing else would have been a deal breaker for me at that price. Having said that, I think all Mirages in the States have been well-equipped for an economy car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I really like my 2015 ES with a standard transmission and adjustable front seat - and I got it at a great price!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I really like my 2015 ES with a standard transmission and adjustable front seat - and I got it at a great price!
    On a positive note - you don't have to buy the top trim level to get both any more!

It's still called an ES, however.