Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car & Driver review of '21 Mirages from yesterday

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

New Car & Driver review of '21 Mirages from yesterday

Hi All,

I came across this new review of the refreshed 2021 Mirage earlier. Cool to see a Mirage review smack-dab on the front page of MSN.ca Autos section. Mirage getting press time..

Enjoy the new review! I love the new rims.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news...?ocid=msedgntp

Name:  new mirage.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  75.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing negative in it, so that's a good thing Any coverage is good coverage IMHO!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hi All,

I came across this new review of the refreshed 2021 Mirage earlier. Cool to see a Mirage review smack-dab on the front page of MSN.ca Autos section. Mirage getting press time..

Enjoy the new review! I love the new rims.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news...?ocid=msedgntp

Name:  new mirage.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  75.8 KB
    I sort of laugh at this from the article - "On both the Mirage and the Mirage G4, the middle-level LE trim sees only a $25 price increase over 2020."

Here's a good fact - a 2020 LE has 15" alloy wheels and heated seats. The 2021 LE has neither of those features. Sure the price only went up $25, but it really should have gone down a couple hundred bucks instead. A 2021 LE is not all that different than a 2021 ES now (14" alloy wheels and that's about it).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, seems the LE model really only gets the 17-20 SE wheels at this point. Seems like a stupid trim package to just literally get some alloy wheels instead of just offering it as a option on the ES (which if I was buying one new I'd take because I don't like plastic wheel covers).

Edit in: Going from a ES CVT to the LE CVT is a price difference of $625 here in the USA. Seems like it really would have made a hell of a lot more sense just putting it as an option for the ES. Also, going from the ES CVT to the SE CVT (the new top model) is a difference of $1850. If you want an automatic one, it would be silly to not get the SE model at that point. On a typical 72 month new car loan that's an additional ~$30 a month going from base to everything.
    Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 01-09-2021 at 09:09 AM.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Not sure I would call this a 'review'. More of a perfunctory announcement, really.

"The 2021 Mirage exists. The bumpers are different. The trim levels are different. Here is how much it costs."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Yeah, seems the LE model really only gets the 17-20 SE wheels at this point. Seems like a stupid trim package to just literally get some alloy wheels instead of just offering it as a option on the ES (which if I was buying one new I'd take because I don't like plastic wheel covers).

Edit in: Going from a ES CVT to the LE CVT is a price difference of $625 here in the USA. Seems like it really would have made a hell of a lot more sense just putting it as an option for the ES. Also, going from the ES CVT to the SE CVT (the new top model) is a difference of $1850. If you want an automatic one, it would be silly to not get the SE model at that point. On a typical 72 month new car loan that's an additional ~$30 a month going from base to everything.
    Today's Mirage is not very basic at any trim level, & the ES, LE, Carbonite Edition are basically the exact same car, with the exception of alloy wheels & a few minor things.

You couldn't add any feature to a Mirage that would make me pay $1850 more for one, & the CVT bottom to top trim level has been a $2000 difference for the past 5 years. 6 years ($30 for 72 months) is long time to pay for a few extra features on a car. The Mirage is fairly well equipped. The SE doesn't offer one single thing extra that I would be interested in.

I wish a more basic, affordable Mirage was offered instead of clumping the trim levels all together.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-09-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wonder if there's a no-A/C Mirage still available? I don't think so.

I also wonder what the "Carbonite Edition" is all about.

The problem with economy cars is partly that they're always trying to look like they have lots of accessories. Yet lots of economy car owners actually want a bare-bones economy car. Not a dressed up one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I wonder if there's a no-A/C Mirage still available? I don't think so.

I also wonder what the "Carbonite Edition" is all about.

The problem with economy cars is partly that they're always trying to look like they have lots of accessories. Yet lots of economy car owners actually want a bare-bones economy car. Not a dressed up one.
    I'd buy up any one that offered a truly bare bones version....you can learn a lot from the 80's after all. A/C is all I really need, the rest is fluff and unnecessary weight and complication.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, the nicer model has the FAST key, the cool new pattern heated seats, led headlights, and fog lights. Those are things I'd pay extra for. I just wish I could get all that stuff with a manual transmission... That would be sweet and I'd go buy one today if I could.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Well, the nicer model has the FAST key, the cool new pattern heated seats, led headlights, and fog lights. Those are things I'd pay extra for. I just wish I could get all that stuff with a manual transmission... That would be sweet and I'd go buy one today if I could.
    As nice as that is, it makes the price jump to beyond economy car class....and that's the whole point of these little cars after all. I guess the manufacturers feel that it's necessary to add this stuff to make the car more palatable to the public, but that's still the wrong way to do it. Start stripped and allow the customer to option it out, not these all but indistinct trim levels that offer next to nothing in exchange for one item between them.