Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First 2021 Owner in the US?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    It's totally a cvt you can tell when he opens the trunk.
    If plaid seats are part of the top level SE trim, it has to be a CVT. All LE, Carbonite Edition, & SE are CVT only.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Nice color!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Congrats on the car & welcome!

Yup , way to go getting that colour.

What were you driving before?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    *sigh*

All this talk of fun seat designs and stuff has me really wanting to overhaul the interior trim of my 2018 ES. Being careful with money these days, though, and those stupid little plastic trim bits are hilariously expensive. If you get the parts new, OEM, then the extra grand or two for the SE or whatever they're calling it nowadays isn't actually expensive.

For now, I'm just going to wait and cross my fingers that COVID eventually ends. When that happens, it's Pick-n-Pull for days, baby!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's an interesting perspective PityOnU. I just knew I was going to be miserable in my Mirage with no armrest. I'm so NOT miserable in it, that now I'm kind of thinking I might prefer to go without an armrest and keep the single cup holder. I'm also surprised just how adequate the interior of the car is. I don't particularly want to spend a thin dime on anything except gas and maintenance.

I had my sons in the back seat for a 5 hour ride already. They never complained for lack of room. I scooted up a couple notches closer to the steering wheel (I'm 6'2") just to give a bit more room. Wasn't bad for me either. Helluva car for $11.4k.

If I had waited on a newer one, I wouldn't get a 2021, it would be a 2022, but likely would get that perdy yeller color. The yeller color contrast with the tires and red brake lights is perfect.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I had my sons in the back seat for a 5 hour ride already. They never complained for lack of room. I scooted up a couple notches closer to the steering wheel (I'm 6'2") just to give a bit more room. Wasn't bad for me either. Helluva car for $11.4k.
    The amount of room in the Mirage is its biggest selling point when trying to convince a "poo-pooer" as I call them. I am a big guy and when I tell people that I can get out of the driver seat and go sit in the back behind my seating position without changing anything, they don't believe me. The interiors are cavernous in comparison to the footprint of the car.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's an interesting perspective PityOnU. I just knew I was going to be miserable in my Mirage with no armrest. I'm so NOT miserable in it, that now I'm kind of thinking I might prefer to go without an armrest and keep the single cup holder. I'm also surprised just how adequate the interior of the car is. I don't particularly want to spend a thin dime on anything except gas and maintenance.

If I had waited on a newer one, I wouldn't get a 2021, it would be a 2022, but likely would get that perdy yeller color. The yeller color contrast with the tires and red brake lights is perfect.

7milesout
    Yeah, honestly, you aren't missing out w.r.t. that armrest. I was personally very disappointed with it.

I have a 36" inseam so I sit way back behind the B pillar. Additionally, people have regularly accused me of "lounging" while driving as I lay the seat pretty far back. Even with all that, my elbow barely catches on the front edge of the armrest. It's just way too tiny.

Also, I'm a lazy arsehole and have only ever driven automatics, so I'm accustomed to holding the steering wheel with my right hand. It is physically impossible for me to have my right elbow on the armrest and my right hand on the wheel. The distance between the two is too large.

I think the little fold-down armrest that is built into the seat they have in Europe/Canada is probably a better solution if you are trying to stay OEM. You get to keep the rear cupholder that way, as well

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I think the little fold-down armrest that is built into the seat they have in Europe/Canada is probably a better solution if you are trying to stay OEM. You get to keep the rear cupholder that way, as well
    Interesting there as well. My very first design engineering project was a self adjusting (position) armrest for class 8 truck seats. I made it such that a really inexpensive attachment bracket is welded to the seat whether the seat was to get an armrest or not. For probably $0.03 that bracket was put on every time to eliminate errors and build variation. On those seat frames, if an armrest was wanted later, a small hole could be cut in the frabric, stretched open to fit the armrest mounting tube, and popped right into the frame ... real slick (cause that's how I roll ).

I wonder if the Euro armrest can be retrofitted into our vehicle seats?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if the Euro armrest can be retrofitted into our vehicle seats?
    I would love to find out. The problem is finding the part new-ish so it's worth putting on, importing it, then potentially ripping open the seat to try and find a way to stick it on. I'm not sure anyone in the forum has been so keen to try it before.

There are also aftermarket armrests that fit in the cupholder slot which are significantly longer than the OEM one. Have to grit your teeth and bear it that the fabric won't match the interior of your car, though, lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The higher than ES trim Mirages have the seat mounted armrest on the 2018+ cars.

Also, having opened up the seats that don't have the armrest, there isn't a mounting point for it to add it.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...