Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New owner of a 2015 Mirage DE CVT

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks

New owner of a 2015 Mirage DE CVT

Less than 3k miles on it, completely clean carfax, 1 owner. Black paint job. The car is pretty much brand new. 7 years with no car, full time school semesters and a busy work schedule has been brutal in a big city. The bus is miserable and I have paid my dues riding public transportation. Bicycling is usually a death wish so I avoid long distance commutes. So FINALLY! I have a car that is more or less new for the first time in my life and I'm stoked to own it.

Considering how much of a beater my old '99 Dodge Ram was, this is an upgrade any which way I look at it. Especially for my wallet. My Ram had piss poor acceleration (I think it beats any Mirage), and god awful MPG. I will be picking up the car within the next week. I am still in the 10 year warranty, but the 5 year/ 60k has expired.

I tried searching for an all in one post in regards to car maintenance but there's quite a few posts. What should I do to get that ball rolling!? Should I immediately take it for an oil change? Essentially, is there some sort of tune up/check up I should have done on it? I'd be taking this in to a family friend mechanic as I don't know how to work on cars. I changed the air filter in my old car and thats about the extent about what I know. However, if there are super beginner friendly things I can do on my own, please recommend.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. It's been a while since I've owned a car and I want to make sure this one lasts as long as possible! In the meantime, I will keep searching the forums.

See you Space Stars on the road. Name:  cu-12.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  80.4 KB

Last edited by supesusuta; 03-15-2021 at 04:21 AM. Reason: adding pic

2. The Following User Says Thank You to supesusuta For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-03-2021)

Welcome!

Is that a typo, a 6-7 year old car with 3000 miles?

If that's the case, if it hasn't been done lately I'd change at least the engine oil and maybe the tires. Make sure the brakes move freely then. At least check the air filter, and maybe cabin air filter too.

I'd change cvt fluid and maybe filters too at 30,000 miles. Engine oil, whatever floats your boat, some people are cheap asses and try to get as much life as possible from 3 quarts of oil. In Canuckystan the severe service schedule calls for 6000km/4000mile oil changes.

I could be wrong but I thought the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty only applied to the original owner in the US with subsequent owners only getting 5 year/60k miles?

Regardless, these are pretty easy to maintain and work on. Pretty much anything you'll need to know(and don't need to know) can be found around here, if not just ask.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-03-2021),supesusuta (03-02-2021)

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Welcome!

Is that a typo, a 6-7 year old car with 3000 miles?
    Thanks for all the info. It is indeed sitting at under 2600 miles on the odometer. Its in such great shape I couldn't pass it up. I hadn't even heard of a Mirage prior to seeing this one! As for the warranty - I didn't look too much into it but I now found this:

"Hyundai, Genesis, Kia and Mitsubishi have made 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranties a main selling point for their lines of vehicles. But they are non-transferable to secondary buyers. But all is not lost. These brands instead, convert the 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain coverage to match up with the standard transferable 5 year/60,000-mile warranty from the original date of purchase."

I don't necessarily know what that means for me, but regardless I already assumed It wouldn't transfer before buying so it's all good. It's in such great shape and runs perfectly. I plan on keeping it that way. I'll get started on all that ASAP.
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Forum bud! Nice looking Mirage.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

supesusuta (03-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supesusuta View Post
    Should I immediately take it for an oil change? Essentially, is there some sort of tune up/check up I should have done on it? I'd be taking this in to a family friend mechanic as I don't know how to work on cars. I changed the air filter in my old car and thats about the extent about what I know. However, if there are super beginner friendly things I can do on my own, please recommend.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. It's been a while since I've owned a car and I want to make sure this one lasts as long as possible! In the meantime, I will keep searching the forums.
    Like Fummins said, the 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty is for the original owners, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about that.

Fummins also gave you good advice. I would have the basic maintenance items (oil/filter changed, check engine air filter, check cabin air filter, have someone look over brakes & tires). If you have someone you really trust, they will give you better first hand advice than us.

Cabin air filter is easy to check yourself - see clip below -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsI1BI_62YE

Sounds like you found the perfect very low mileage car. It would be interesting to know if your car was used only for very short trips over that time period, or it has been sitting for long time somewhere?

It should serve you well for a very long time! Welcome to the forum!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (03-02-2021),supesusuta (03-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The maintenance schedule in the manual is a great place to start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

supesusuta (03-03-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supesusuta View Post
    Less than 3k miles on it, completely clean carfax, 1 owner. Black paint job. The car is pretty much brand new. 7 years with no car, full time school semesters and a busy work schedule has been brutal in a big city. The bus is miserable and I have paid my dues riding public transportation. Bicycling is usually a death wish so I avoid long distance commutes. So FINALLY! I have a car that is more or less new for the first time in my life and I'm stoked to own it.

Considering how much of a beater my old '99 Dodge Ram was, this is an upgrade any which way I look at it. Especially for my wallet. My Ram had piss poor acceleration (I think it beats any Mirage), and god awful MPG. I will be picking up the car within the next week. I am still in the 10 year warranty, but the 5 year/ 60k has expired.

I tried searching for an all in one post in regards to car maintenance but there's quite a few posts. What should I do to get that ball rolling!? Should I immediately take it for an oil change? Essentially, is there some sort of tune up/check up I should have done on it? I'd be taking this in to a family friend mechanic as I don't know how to work on cars. I changed the air filter in my old car and thats about the extent about what I know. However, if there are super beginner friendly things I can do on my own, please recommend.

See you Space Stars on the road.
    Check your vin number on the inside of your drivers door to get the manufacture date. You might have a few months left on the 5 year warranty. With many of the hard core mods being done on the 2014 and 15 it's apparent that early body style is desirable, I know I love my toy like front fascia! Welcome and if I ever catch you on the streets I'll smack you down with my long winged duck style from the Shaolin temple!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

supesusuta (03-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Check your vin number on the inside of your drivers door to get the manufacture date.
    Not busting your chops Dirk...just throwing this out for general info...

Remember the warranty clock starts ticking the day the car was sold to the first owner...not the day it was manufactured. So if someone didn't buy that car new until the Summer of 2016 (not completely unheard of back then) then it's possible this car still has a few months of 5/60 warranty left.

If you take the VIN to any Mitsubishi service department, they can tell you the car's "in-service" date (the date the car was originally sold).

But at this point, it sounds like it runs/drives great so I wouldn't worry about it. But I'd love to hear the back story on this one.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-03-2021 at 03:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

supesusuta (03-03-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Not busting your chops Dirk...just throwing this out for general info...

Remember the warranty clock starts ticking starts the day the car was sold to the first owner...not the day it was manufactured. So if someone didn't buy that car new until the Summer of 2016 (not completely unheard of back then) then it's possible this car still has a few months of 5/60 warranty left.

If you take the VIN to any Mitsubishi service department, they can tell you the car's "in-service" date (the date the car was originally sold).

But at this point, it sounds like it runs/drives great so I wouldn't worry about it. But I'd love to hear the back story on this one.
    Oooops! lol I still had it in my head it was 2020. I still stand by what I say though about my wu-tang clan style street fighting though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The maintenance schedule in the manual is a great place to start.
    Given the car is 6-years old, it may warrant some TLC even if it only has 2,600 miles on it. Unless someone can vouch service has been done recently, I would change fluids, check/change filters, & have a good trusty mechanic vouch it's in good working order. Then follow the maintenance schedule afterwards.