Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another mindless rant about inflation and the eCONomy at large.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

another mindless rant about inflation and the eCONomy at large.

two weeks ago amazon priced the kingston 120gb ssd for $24.99
    last week amazon priced the same disk drive for $29.99
    this week amazon has priced the 120gb kingston ssd for $34.99

If could find another place to deal with that had similar prices I would. Newegg shipping can be ridiculous.

Amazon has lost their vision.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ???

This has little to do with inflation, and everything to do with supply and demand.

Right now is a terrible time to be building a PC, unfortunately.

Here is a collection of all ongoing SSD sales/deals from across the (American-centric, unfortunately) internet that is regularly updated. Best of luck in your search!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Loren (01-10-2021),precisionxt (01-13-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Funny you talk about SSD prices, I got a 5200 rpm 1 TB external HD for $50 from Best Buy in November. This was a discounted price.. since I bought a laptop at the same time. Shipping is included at Best Buy once you spend over $39 I believe. I just don't like Amazon because I don't like paying a membership to buy from them. I know you don't "need" prime, I just hate paying for a store. Seems ludicrous, and ironic.

You can feel the thing spin, but once it gets going, load times are good. Excellent for storage between computers. about 4 inches x 6 inches x 5/8" deep, and just plugs in via USB, and that powers the thing too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Funny you talk about SSD prices, I got a 5200 rpm 1 TB external HD for $50 from Best Buy in November. This was a discounted price.. since I bought a laptop at the same time. Shipping is included at Best Buy once you spend over $39 I believe. I just don't like Amazon because I don't like paying a membership to buy from them. I know you don't "need" prime, I just hate paying for a store. Seems ludicrous, and ironic.

You can feel the thing spin, but once it gets going, load times are good. Excellent for storage between computers. about 4 inches x 6 inches x 5/8" deep, and just plugs in via USB, and that powers the thing too.
    Nothing wrong with that deal. the external housings themselves were $15-20. So you paid peanuts for the drive. I perhaps should have elaborated on inflation. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...-2/5813290002/

The FED insists inflation is basically nil, which is funny because in the past economists complained because too much weighting was given to consumer electronics, which tend to drop dramatically over a year, and food and fuel were given minor roles to determine inflation.

TL;DR

It's obvious that nobody from the FED buys electronics from Amazon.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Electronics (in terms of performance per dollar) are the cheapest they've ever been. It's insane what you can get for very little money these days.

The problem is that, right now specifically, demand for pretty much any PC component is vastly outpacing the rate at which they can be manufactured. This has a lot to do with (1) limited capacity of the actual fabricators using all these new processes (5nm, 7nm), (2) insanely high demand due to the exponential growth remote services (machine learning, game/video streaming), (3) people being stuck at home and having to work/play remotely due to COVID, (4) the first time in a long time where you are seeing significantly improvements with more traditional systems that make upgrading worth it (core counts, raytracing/rendering throughput, commonality of 4K/high framerate displays/content), (5) [at least in the USA] ongoing trade war with China with many electronics tariffs just going into effect in 2021.

While all this is pretty rough, also consider the sheer power of what you are able to pick up: 16TB external drive for $300, 16 core/32 threads CPU for $750, 2TB NVMe SSD for $200, etc., etc. Those kind of numbers were unthinkable, even 2-3 years ago.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-10-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Nothing wrong with that deal. the external housings themselves were $15-20. So you paid peanuts for the drive. I perhaps should have elaborated on inflation. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...-2/5813290002/

The FED insists inflation is basically nil, which is funny because in the past economists complained because too much weighting was given to consumer electronics, which tend to drop dramatically over a year, and food and fuel were given minor roles to determine inflation.

TL;DR

It's obvious that nobody from the FED buys electronics from Amazon.
    I read on Bloomberg news the other day, that Denmark now has 0% interest 20 year mortgages. So home buyers literally have 0-interest loan for their house. Imagine that! I've done the calculations, and even low-interest mortgages end up costing borrowers A LOT on top of the actual purchase price of a house. So folks buying at the high-end of the market, wow they end up paying quite a bit more than 1 million dollars, for their for their million dollar houses. That's how the banks get you.

I'm pretty sure inflation rates are still low, and in fact ,the Big Wigs in gov't finances, are actually actively trying to increase inflation rates.

Inflation on other stuff is no good. Inflation on house prices is "through the roof." Food prices are suffering from inflation, and I think that's become even worse in 2020/1 with the pandemic.

Pretty sure computer parts are super deflated from their peak. Wasn't an Apple II like $4000 in 1985?

https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...s-keep-sinking
    Last edited by dspace9; 01-10-2021 at 09:01 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    two weeks ago amazon priced the kingston 120gb ssd for $24.99
    last week amazon priced the same disk drive for $29.99
    this week amazon has priced the 120gb kingston ssd for $34.99

If could find another place to deal with that had similar prices I would. Newegg shipping can be ridiculous.

Amazon has lost their vision.
    Amazon hasn't lost their vision - they are exercising it. It bugs me too.

I've seen this happen many times where Amazon jacks around with pricing. The pricing might be up to whoever is selling an item. Remember, not everything on Amazon is sold by Amazon but is often by some other vendor selling through Amazon. The great deal you found may have sold out by that vendor. Other vendors can charge whatever they like. A Mirage is worth a lot to me but not to everyone else in the larger marketplace. And large retailers like Amazon put smaller companies out of business, which only increases Amazon's hold on the market (think monopoly.)

I've put stuff in my Amazon cart and check on it occasionally to watch for deals. Amazon moves the price around like a fisherman trying to entice the buyer - sometimes they raise the price a few pennies, sometimes lower it a few cents, sometimes more.

I waited for a deal on my block heater (normally around $45 USD down to $12) and Air Lift air bags (paid $79.95 today listed for $102.85.) If you have time you can wait for a deal. If you need it now you gotta pay the going rate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is no inflation this is supply chain issues and supply and demand. The whole shipping system right now is clogged up and getting items is seriously delayed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-13-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I just don't like Amazon because I don't like paying a membership to buy from them. I know you don't "need" prime, I just hate paying for a store. Seems ludicrous, and ironic.
    What are your thoughts on.... Costco?

if you have good internet speeds you can also consider cloud storage options sync.com, dropbox.com, googledrive.com, apple icloud, 200gb per month is only $3. I personally use sync its pretty good, privacy focused and more safe and reliable and convenient than trusting your data to any one single hard drive.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    What are your thoughts on.... Costco?

if you have good internet speeds you can also consider cloud storage options sync.com, dropbox.com, googledrive.com, apple icloud, 200gb per month is only $3. I personally use sync its pretty good, privacy focused and more safe and reliable and convenient than trusting your data to any one single hard drive.
    I've gone through a couple 1tb portable hard drives. They don't like being dropped apparently. I only use them to store and watch pirated movies. It comes in handy sometimes when glamping once in a while too.

I find any time I want to watch a movie on netflix, prime or one of the other pointless streaming services the wife got sucked into signing up to, they don't have it or if they do they want to charge extra for it. I'm not talking that kinda movie either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)