Thread: 2017 Mirage Opinions

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2017 Mirage Opinions

I was scouring over the local Facebook marketplace last night and saw a 2017 Mirage hatchback listed for $4250. with 70450 miles and a clean title. I messaged the seller but haven't heard back from them yet. The car has a CVT and appears to be in "good" condition so I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the price and reliability of one at this mileage. There were a couple places on the body that looked questionable, maybe a long scratch down the drivers side door going onto the the rear quarter panel and spot on the other rear quarter panel that was either a reflection or some type body imperfection. I sent the seller a message and questioned those areas but haven't yet received a reply.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    I was scouring over the local Facebook marketplace last night and saw a 2017 Mirage hatchback listed for $4250. with 70450 miles and a clean title. I messaged the seller but haven't heard back from them yet. The car has a CVT and appears to be in "good" condition so I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the price and reliability of one at this mileage. There were a couple places on the body that looked questionable, maybe a long scratch down the drivers side door going onto the the rear quarter panel and spot on the other rear quarter panel that was either a reflection or some type body imperfection. I sent the seller a message and questioned those areas but haven't yet received a reply.
    If it was a 5 speed I'd say take a look at least. With the CVT unless the seller could provide some maintenance records (at least 1 fluid flush) I'd be wary.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Post the link so we can pick it apart! Check the cvt fluid, if it's black don't buy it. Under the severe maintenance schedule (for canada at least) The transmission fluid should have been replaced every 30,000 miles. But under the regular schedule I don't think it even says to replace it until 60-100,000miles. These things don't have external fluid cooler so a "flush" isn't gonna happen unless a shop removes the heat exchanger from the front of the cvt and bolts on an adapter or a nissan style cooler in it's place then flushes it.

The front bumpers are crazy expensive for these cars, if it's damaged keep that in mind.

No matter how good of a deal it is, there'll always be someone that got a better deal.

I looked at a 2017 cvt with similar mileage before I bought my 2014. The underside was caked in thick mud, inside and out was pretty rough, it even had some oil leaks that I couldn't tell where they came from. The seller barely spoke engrish but was pretty firm on the price, I didn't bother driving it as it was clearly neglected. Some of these things are taken care of and some are just treated like crap. I guess that goes for any vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    As far as price goes, I think it's a good price.

Even if I was a mechanic, I wouldn't tell you it's a good deal without seeing the car. If you can have a mechanic look it over & the seller can confirm maintenance (engine filter/oil & CVT fluid) has been done, I would consider it a good deal.

If the car has been neglected & driven hard, it's not a great deal.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The seller hasn't yet bothered to answer my initial questions. Here's a link to it. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined The CVT would be my biggest concern. Some of the pictures look like there may be stains on the rear seat, maybe they could be cleaned, maybe not? This definitely not something I was just going to jump into without doing some research but thought this would be a good place to start by asking owners what their opinions were.

The seller hasn't yet bothered to answer my initial questions. Here's a link to it. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined The CVT would be my biggest concern. Some of the pictures look like there may be stains on the rear seat, maybe they could be cleaned, maybe not? This definitely not something I was just going to jump into without doing some research but thought this would be a good place to start by asking owners what their opinions were.
    That doesn't look bad. I can't tell if the rh rear 1/4 was dented and poorly repaired or if that's a reflection. The scratch on the drivers side might buff out? It looks like the lh rear door might have a bit of a ripple? The only thing that looks a little off to me is the airbag light. Don't those go out once you start the engine? They did have an airbag recall for some years where the light would come on from rough roads. Easy fix if that's the case. Wouldn't hurt to check if there are any outstanding recalls for it.

Honestly, if the transmission does blow up next month, just find a low mileage used one on car-part.com for around $500 and find any independent shop that does installs to install it for you. It's not rocket appliances. Or if you're somewhat mechanically inclined and have a place to work, just replace it yourself. That's really the only big weak link, but typically they'll last at least 125-200,000 miles(if not totally trashed). You'll still have a dirt cheap car that'll last many moons, if something breaks used parts are becoming more common.

If a few scratches and stains aren't what you want then I'd pass on it though.

As far as not getting a reply, I hate selling stuff and I usually end up picking and choosing who I reply to when selling something. I'd rather have someone just come have a look at something rather than answer 1000 back and forth questions.

Although I'm guilty of not asking enough questions when buying, I once drove 4 hrs(one way) to buy a side by side for dirt cheap one time, I told the guy I'd pay what he's asking if he held it for me. The pics looked good. I get there and the thing is in 1000 pieces, the guy took the entire front suspension apart, all the plastic, front diff, steering rack etc...I was slightly irritated but bought told the guy if he could help me load it in my truck I'd take it lol.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-15-2021 at 08:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah that one looks nicer than the one I offered you. Mine would be cheaper but not by a whole lot. Looks like a pretty good deal to me.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Check the fluid, it if hasn't ever been changed at those miles at best its brown, which you can work with, just change it pronto. I recommend Aamco. Like Fummy said though, if its black walk away. I talked to 2 fellow gig workers back when I was ubering in my Mirage, both with cvt Mirages and both well over 100k miles. They didn't even know what a cvt was, so its most likely the fluid was never changed. Not promoting neglect but I suspect many CVT7s in Mirages can get well past 100k miles doing f#ck all in maintenance. I'd def use brown cvt fluid on a dipstick to haggle down on the price. Break the seller's balls about it. Check for codes at an Autozone too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's an SE model! Nice! Price seems okay. It's a dealer car I'm pretty sure. If it mechanically checks out I'd buy it if I needed another car.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...