Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Audio System Broke My Car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WI_Mirage View Post
    I'm using 2 RCA preout pairs, one for the front speakers and one for the sub. I can try plugging the front speakers in the RCA rear speaker preout.
    RCA outputs aren't designed to drive speakers. Instead, try connecting your speakers to your radio speaker outputs directly, bypassing your amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by WI_Mirage View Post
    One day, while I was cranking my system to its 100% capacity, I hear a loud POP.
    Sounds like this is your amplifier failing. Connecting your speakers directly to your radio will easily prove this out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Try that to know if the head unit preamp signal ia the noise source. I've seen one preout pair be a problem but the others work fine. If you can get a 3.5mm to rca cable you can plug a phone or ipod directly into the amp to test also

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

WI_Mirage (01-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    RCA outputs aren't designed to drive speakers. Instead, try connecting your speakers to your radio speaker outputs directly, bypassing your amplifier.

Sounds like this is your amplifier failing. Connecting your speakers directly to your radio will easily prove this out.
    The signal flow goes like this: Receiver output -> RCA -> Amp

I'm unable to connect my speakers directly to my head-unit because I ran new wiring for the speakers. The speakers are not using the factory wiring.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    Try that to know if the head unit preamp signal ia the noise source. I've seen one preout pair be a problem but the others work fine. If you can get a 3.5mm to rca cable you can plug a phone or ipod directly into the amp to test also
    I have tested the amp with my phone connected directly. It still had the same feedback noise as if nothing was plugged into the amp, but it did not have the very loud feedback noise like when the receiver is connected.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just dropped my receiver and amp off at the audio shop. They are going to test both of them. Tomorrow I'll know if either of them are the issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's the amp. The noise is lower because the output of the phone is less than the head unit. Match your gains to the output voltage of the head unit when you get it reinstalled

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

WI_Mirage (01-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The audio shop just called and told me my receiver and amp are both fine. I fried something in my cars electronic's. Burning smell, loud pop noise, feedback starting after that, receiver and amp are both OK.... I think the current my audio system was pulling couldn't be handled by something inside the car.

Anyone have ideas where in the car I should start looking?

Sorry if you mentioned this already, reading is hard and I didn't bother reading the entire thread.

Is it wrong of me to assume that you were using a fused power wire directly off the battery to power the amp(s)?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, 80 amp fuse, didn't blow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When i heard this pop noise it definitely sounded like it came from the inside of the car. the fuse on the power wire is right next to the battery

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WI_Mirage For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-20-2021)