Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aftermarket Audio System Broke My Car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WI_Mirage View Post
    I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting. I've ruled out everything you have mentioned, but power source. I am confident that if I were to power the amp and receiver with a separate dedicated power source it would work fine with no issues. The issue is somewhere in the electronics in the Mirage. Something blew and because of that it's creating feedback noise. It wasn't doing this before said thing blew.
    Hm, I see.

Afraid I can't help much other than linking to this thread which itself has links for the service manual and wiring diagrams for the Mirage. I will say that I'm surprised to see that the radio is hooked up to so many different systems in the car. The Mirage does use CAN bus for communication, which definitely adds noise to many of the lines.

Perhaps a filter capacitor blew somewhere? Where it would be is anyone's guess, though. And it must be an extremely localized event if it did - I can say from personal experience that the Mirage is rather touchy with any lines it sends signaling across. Any additional noise would interrupt communication and your car would be throwing engine codes left and right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

WI_Mirage (01-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you don't already have a good shielded set of RCA cables then I would start with replacing the ones you have. As stated earlier, they can act as an antenna and the analogue audio signal can pick up noise between the head unit and the amplifier. If you don't notice the noise with the engine off then I would blame the RCA cables first. Re rerouting them to the passenger side of the center console will get them away from the harness that runs under the driver side of center console.

If it is still noticable with the engine off then I would look closer at the head unit for a blown filter capacitor. The audio shop undoubtedly will have a clean power source for testing. Having a clean power source could possibly hide a bad filter capacitor.

Crutchfield has a great article for diagnosing audio noise at the link below.

https://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgb...ion_guide.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BecauseRaceCar For This Useful Post:

WI_Mirage (01-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I took my car in to the audio shop today to have them take a look. They already had my amp and receiver, as I had dropped them off two days prior for testing, so they connected everything back in themselves. It took them 15 minutes to test the system. And then I was told everything was working fine. OK? The heck? Definitely was not fine, but it's working now so???? My invoice stated $6 for hardware. I asked what hardware, and they said the inline fuse coming from the positive battery terminal. I had removed this fuse when I dropped off the amp and receiver. I stashed it in my glove box but I forgot to tell them it was in there. So the only thing that has changed is this inline fuse. I swear, the fuse I had installed previously looks perfectly fine. Idk what the heck is going on and I'm very confused.

Name:  IMG_0066.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  93.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  83.4 KB
    this is the fuse that was installed before

So, all the feedback noise is gone now. I really have no clue why lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just took a multimeter to the fuse that was removed and it's not blown. Hopefully the noise just never comes back lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Electronics don't heal themselves but its possible a thermistor or circuit breaker somewhere was overloaded and reset in the head unit, amp or car

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

WI_Mirage (01-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    So your sound system is working fine now? No problems at maximum volume?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    So your sound system is working fine now? No problems at maximum volume?
    yeah, no problems at all now. i drove around for half an hour at max volume and did not smell anything burning. It sounds great.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    Electronics don't heal themselves but its possible a thermistor or circuit breaker somewhere was overloaded and reset in the head unit, amp or car
    Well it's been colder these last couple days than it has been all winter. I guess we will just have to wait and see if the issue returns when it's warmer.