Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hesitation on Acceleration (60k km/ 5 years) | FIXED: cleaned fuel system

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    new update..

I am able to achieve my normal mpg this week!! (23km/l). Actually after the fuel system cleaning, i still have a low mpg (17-18km/l) but it did improves the throttle response a bit though. After 1 week from the fuel cleaning job, i can feel the problem cameback.

The cabin still have gas smell after more than 1 week, plus i dont get the hissing sound when i open the fuel cap anymore. so i inspect the fuel filter cap and found out the rubber o-ring did not sit properly, ordered the fuel filter wrench tool and redo the fuel filter cap.

Since my brake is overdue (5yrs) i planned to change it on the same day. Upon inspection on the caliper, i noticed the caliper boot is twisted. pressed the piston in, though it feel like it kind of seized somehow, then replaced with a new pad. i drained the brake fluid a bit from the master cyclinder just right below the max line.

and that was it. my car give me the normal mpg just like for the past 5yrs im driving this car. so what's the actual problem? the injector?the fuel strainer? the brake pad?

i cant confirmed. i just hope this experince of mine can help u guys out there who having similar problem like mine to narrow down the solution and reduce the unecessary cost. peace!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Sounded like your Mirage needed a little TLC (tender loving care), & now it's back to its same old self. Thanks for sharing all that! It's nice when other share solutions. Even those that remain a bit of a mystery in the end.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just a thought i see you are using 195/50/15 tires would the build up of snow be causing this in between tires and wheel well.I was under the impression 14 in tires were normal on the mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Just a thought i see you are using 195/50/15 tires would the build up of snow be causing this in between tires and wheel well.I was under the impression 14 in tires were normal on the mirage.
    14" & 15" wheels are the most common size for the Mirage.

An upper trim level Mirage will actually come with 15" wheels (175/55r15 factory size tires).

It's not just about using 13", 14", 15", or 16" wheels. It's also the rubber you put on them. A 195/50r15 would be quite wide for a Mirage, but it's still the same outside diameter as factory tires. You may have rubbing issues due to the extra width, but the outside diameter is normal.

A factory 175/55r15 tire has an outside diameter of 22.6". A lower, wider profile aftermarket 195/50r15 tire has an outside diameter of 22.7" (variance of only 0.4%). At 60 mph, the difference on the speedometer is only 0.3 mph.

The difference between a factory 165/65r14 tire & a factory 175/55r15 tire is even more than that (0.9% variance & 0.5 mph @ 60 mph).

I get your point, however. A wide tire would have less room for snow clearance, because of the added width. I am knocking snow/ice out of my wheel wells a lot lately, & that's with narrower 165/65r15 tires. If my Mirage had 195/50r15 tires, I would be parking it for the winter. Added tire width kills traction in snow. I've seen this too many times to think otherwise.

Some have had rubbing issues with wider 195 tires. 175/65r14 & 185/55r15 are larger diameter (23") tires commonly used, but don't seem to create any issues that I have heard of from forum members. Not saying 195 tires don't work for some, but I've also heard some having issues with them, too.

P.S. - 13" wheels will work on a 2014-15 Mirage, but not a 2017+.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the correction.It was just a thought.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the correction.It was just a thought.
    I share with the thought other will benefit from what's being shared, too.

Tires are big Mirage topic overall. Limited 165/65r14 & 175/55r14 tire options in the States especially justifies the discussion of tire options. Only so much tire fits under those wheel wells. I think your main point was a great one!

It doesn't take much to build up snow/ice under those fenders. I just knocked off some huge chunks yesterday, & they have grown back some with today's trip to town.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Does it snow in Malaysia? That’s where dgiarazza lists as home.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Does it snow in Malaysia? That’s where dgiarazza lists as home.
    Good point! I doubt snow is much of an issue in Malaysia. I would guess the high humidity & sweating are more of an issue there.

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Hello guys, I am experiencing a similar issue but only when I am using low throttle inputs at low rpm (1500rpm), in first gear on parking lots is more noticeable but it also happens on any gear. What is the best fuel cleaner? My car has just 48k km (about 30k miles) and will make 7 years in January.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgiarazza View Post
    Yes the one in the tank. The fuel strainer is the one that at the bottom of the fuel pump assembly. While the fuel filter is the one that surround the fuel pump. (Sorry, but that's how i interpret the items, my u guys have different lingo)

Yeah. Im also not sure which one actually the cause. But the most obvious cause from my perspective is the fuel strainer.
    Did you replace anything or just cleaned the strainer? I am having the same issue. The car is like "charging up" before it goes to higher gear. The fuel filter assembly is a bit expensive and I am thinking of just cleaning the strainer.