Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 SE fog lights?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    The way my 2018 GT lights work is : Turn on Headlights (low beam), Turn on fog lights with switch on stalk, Indicator in the dash comes on as well as the lights.. Fog lights turn off when High beam is selected, Atomically turn on again when you select low beam.. Does this help, or maybe the 2020 has a different logic???
    I wouldn't lock this thread yet.

Have you tried this test?

If you fog lights have an extra DRL bulb, the DRL bulb will automatically come on when you turn off your headlights to cover the DRL mandate. When it's evening, you want your DRL to go off when the headlights come on. So that part seems normal.

Fog lights will only operate when your dim headlights are on & the fog light switch is on. You may or may have done that? It's a bit unclear in your first post & maybe you accidentally had your brights on when you tested this?

If your fog lights won't turn on while your dim headlights are turned on, I would go back to the dealer & ask what's up?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes, I’ve tried this test already! The fog lights won’t turn on with the low beams, they only turn on as DRLs

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Fog lights will only operate when your dim headlights are on & the fog light switch is on. You may or may have done that? It's a bit unclear in your first post & maybe you accidentally had your brights on when you tested this?

If your fog lights won't turn on while your dim headlights are turned on, I would go back to the dealer & ask what's up?

Quote Originally Posted by vancouvermirage View Post
    Yes, I’ve tried this test already! The fog lights won’t turn on with the low beams, they only turn on as DRLs
    I think we broke the internet. You quoted me with Mark's post?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    This is great. Who knew this would generate so much thoughtful discussion?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by vancouvermirage View Post
    This is great. Who knew this would generate so much thoughtful discussion?
    I wouldn't have guessed it. But anything thing can easily become a 30 page thread 'round here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I wouldn't have guessed it. But anything thing can easily become a 30 page thread 'round here.
    There's a long way to go yet so better get crackin.

Isn't there a relay in the engine compartment box for the DRLs?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    It's been one of the better on topic discussions at least.

In all honesty, I would look at the back side of the fog lights and determine if there are two bulbs or just one bulb going into the housing. It would seem silly to have the DRL bulbs installed & not the fog lamp bulbs, but we all seen stupid stuff done before.

Could the fog lights be on their own fuse? I've never owned a vehicle with fog lights. I am just speculating.

At least I am doing my part to keep this going. I don't mind Fummins getting some of the credit for that either!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It sounds like the dealership/factory incorrectly wired the foglights to the DRL circuit. Either that, or your dealership did like mine and refered to the LED DRL's as "foglights". You can look on this page and see that there are optional DRL LED's that can come built into the chrome in the Mirage bumper, which are distinct from foglights (also listed on that page). There is only one bulb in factory foglights.

Foglights plug into a simple dipole plug on the inside of the wheel well when you install them yourself. Not sure if those DRL's are the same way. If so, yeah, they plugged it in the wrong socket. I'd check the wiring.

--- EDIT ---

Disregard above - didn't read entire thread as it was so long. Answered on Page 2. Canada uses fog lights as DRL's. Also, apparently, there are some fancy fog light part numbers which have multiple bulbs/potentially LED's. My (standard?) OEM fogs have only a single bulb in a reflector housing.
    Last edited by PityOnU; 01-26-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In all honesty, I would look at the back side of the fog lights and determine if there are two bulbs or just one bulb going into the housing. It would seem silly to have the DRL bulbs installed & not the fog lamp bulbs, but we all seen stupid stuff done before.
    My 2013 Space Star has both DRL and foglights, and they both use the same LED's, AFAIK. Just another effective power through pulse width modulation.
    Cannot really see if it are the same LED's though. All recognizable LED's are burning when DRL is on, but you can't actually look at them when the foglights are on. Would need eclipse glasses or something like that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    It sounds like the dealership/factory incorrectly wired the foglights to the DRL circuit. Either that, or your dealership did like mine and refered to the LED DRL's as "foglights". You can look on this page and see that there are optional DRL LED's that can come built into the chrome in the Mirage bumper, which are distinct from foglights (also listed on that page). There is only one bulb in factory foglights.
    WRONG!
    Foglights plug into a simple dipole plug on the inside of the wheel well when you install them yourself. Not sure if those DRL's are the same way. If so, yeah, they plugged it in the wrong socket. I'd check the wiring.
    You may want to re read the thread? Mark posted pics of the owners manual. This is why threads should be locked and not turned into 30 pages of the same questions over and over lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    My 2013 Space Star has both DRL and foglights, and they both use the same LED's, AFAIK. Just another effective power through pulse width modulation.
    Cannot really see if it are the same LED's though. All recognizable LED's are burning when DRL is on, but you can't actually look at them when the foglights are on. Would need eclipse glasses or something like that.
    Pics? These cars vary a lot between markets. The pics that the op and myself posted are of dim halogen bulbs in fog light housings.

Last edited by Fummins; 01-26-2021 at 12:12 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (01-26-2021)