Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Pics?
    Name:  P1010601.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  38.9 KB

The LED's of the DRL are clearly visible. On a closer look 'thing' in the middle seems to be a lens, which suggests there is something behind it. But if the fog light is on you see a ring of light (if you can set yourself to looking at it), which suggests the DRL LED's generate it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-26-2021),PityOnU (01-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Name:  P1010601.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  38.9 KB

The LED's of the DRL are clearly visible. On a closer look 'thing' in the middle seems to be a lens, which suggests there is something behind it. But if the fog light is on you see a ring of light (if you can set yourself to looking at it), which suggests the DRL LED's generate it.
    Fancy! We don't get anything that nice out here.

The fog lights in my 2014 are just use a single h11 light bulb. The DRL is the high beam headlight element. I assume the OP's fog lights are just like Mark described, fog light with 2 bulbs. 1 for drl and one for fog.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Fancy! We don't get anything that nice out here.

The fog lights in my 2014 are just use a single h11 light bulb. The DRL is the high beam headlight element. I assume the OP's fog lights are just like Mark described, fog light with 2 bulbs. 1 for drl and one for fog.
    I tried to download a couple owner's manual outside of my own.

I was able to download a 2019 Mirage owner's manual for the UK. They also show two types of fog lights. Type 1 has a single fog light bulb, & type 2 has both a fog light bulb & a DRL bulb.

I was not able to find/download a current Canadian owner's manual. I was able to download a 2015 Canadian Mirage owner's manual, & it didn't show two types of fog lights (only type 1).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouvermirage View Post
    Is this intentional or should I stop by the dealer and ask them to fix it?
    In my opinion, it makes no sense to have what looks like fog lights only functioning as day running lights. I find that to be very lame!

Fog lights work in conjunction with low beam headlights. Every Mirage owner's manual (United States, Canada, & the UK) I was able to find on line states that when the highlights are turned off (or if you click to high beam), the fog lights will go off. I could see where the DRL in the fog light housing may come on when the headlights are turned off, but it doesn't explain the lack of functioning fog lights that work in conjunction with your low beam headlights.

I would read my owner's manual & go back to the dealer. I would politely ask your salesman to explain the operation of your fog lights. He used fog lights as a selling point to you. If he can't get them to function with your low beam headlights, I would ask that he corrects that. Even if that means, having to install sometime else in place of what is already there. I would start out polite, but I wouldn't leave without working fog lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In my opinion, it makes no sense to have what looks like fog lights only functioning as day running lights. I find that to be very lame!

Fog lights work in conjunction with low beam headlights. Every Mirage owner's manual (United States, Canada, & the UK) I was able to find on line states that when the highlights are turned off (or if you click to high beam), the fog lights will go off. I could see where the DRL in the fog light housing may come on when the headlights are turned off, but it doesn't explain the lack of functioning fog lights that work in conjunction with your low beam headlights.

I would read my owner's manual & go back to the dealer. I would politely ask your salesman to explain the operation of your fog lights. He used fog lights as a selling point to you. If he can't get them to function with your low beam headlights, I would ask that he corrects that. Even if that means, having to install sometime else in place of what is already there. I would start out polite, but I wouldn't leave without working fog lights.
    Very lame, I'd take a look in the under hood fuse box and see if the relay is there for the fog lights(if it's the same as older models). Try to reach down and feel if both bulbs are there or post a pic of the front and or rear of the light?
    I guess I'd be annoyed if the salesman said a vehicle had something when it really didn't.
    This happened to the wife. They claimed the vehicle she picked had remote start. It didn't. She *****ed enough and the dealer installed an aftermarket remote start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    It all sounds interesting and not necessarily a malfunction. Maybe it’s a new feature and we will all want halo foglights now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It all sounds interesting and not necessarily a malfunction. Maybe it’s a new feature and we will all want halo foglights now.
    What would be the purpose of installing a fog light assembly on a brand new car & not have functioning fog lights?

I could see someone not liking the looks of not having fog lights, installing them, & not hooking them up. Just doing it for cosmetic appearance.

I don't see anything in any owner's manual referring to the fog light assembly as being a DRL only function, but I haven't found a 2017+ Canadian Mirage owner's manual on line.

If all Mirages used the fog light assembly to cover the DRL mandate in Canada, that would be more understandable. I have the impression that's not the case, however.

If nothing else, we are doing a great job of keeping this thread going!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    I would love to know the part number for these fogs in case it is marked somewhere on there!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What would be the purpose of installing a fog light assembly on a brand new car & not have functioning fog lights?

I could see someone not liking the looks of not having fog lights, installing them, & not hooking them up. Just doing it for cosmetic appearance.

I don't see anything in any owner's manual referring to the fog light assembly as being a DRL only function, but I haven't found a 2017+ Canadian Mirage owner's manual on line.

If all Mirages used the fog light assembly to cover the DRL mandate in Canada, that would be more understandable. I have the impression that's not the case, however.

If nothing else, we are doing a great job of keeping this thread going!
    Manufacturer's cheapness, cheaping out is the only explanation. 1 parts bin for column stalks, 1 1990s era parts bin for power windows and mirrors.

You may be driving a car with some parts made in Illinois, as well as Japan and Thailand. If the 3 cylinder engine is similar to the Smart car's engine, then you also have Daimler-Chrysler genes floating around under the hood.

To further complicate matters my own ES 2014 Mirage does not have the fake fog lights switch. Nope, bare bones is bare bones. Kinda funny and ironic that only the middle brow trim levels have fake switches. And only the cheap and the luxury trims have 100% functioning switches in their car.
    Last edited by dspace9; 01-26-2021 at 05:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    You may be driving a car with some parts made in Illinois, as well as Japan and Thailand.
    Nope - 90% Thailand, 0% US/Canada.

Last edited by Eggman; 01-26-2021 at 07:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (01-26-2021),Fummins (01-26-2021),mohammad (08-22-2022)