Thread: sway bar and warranty

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

sway bar and warranty

Does installing a sway bar affect the warranty in anyway? Could not find a clear answer in previous threads.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It should only affect the warranty if something directly related to it fails.

Like, if the welds on the rear axle failed, and they thought it was because the rear swaybar created stresses there. They could deny warranty on the rear axle. But, they couldn't deny a warranty claim on the engine or transmission or anything NOT related.
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-25-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    It should only affect the warranty if something directly related to it fails.

Like, if the welds on the rear axle failed, and they thought it was because the rear swaybar created stresses there. They could deny warranty on the rear axle. But, they couldn't deny a warranty claim on the engine or transmission or anything NOT related.
    gotcha, thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Loren is correct. It is called the Magnusson-Moss Act if I remember. That's not to say that a dealer won't try all kind of shenanigans because they will. For example if you added the sway bar, and a month later the A/C failed. Certain types of dealers will use any means to (try to) deny warranty. Other dealers are more legit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Loren is correct. It is called the Magnusson-Moss Act if I remember. That's not to say that a dealer won't try all kind of shenanigans because they will. For example if you added the sway bar, and a month later the A/C failed. Certain types of dealers will use any means to (try to) deny warranty. Other dealers are more legit.
    We don't have the Magnusson-Moss act in Canada. No lemon laws either. There is a CANADIAN MOTOR VEHICLE ARBITRATION PLAN(I'm not yelling, I copied and pasted that!) that is supposed to help with disputes between customers and mfgs, but Mitsubishi isn't a participating member. Chrysler and BMW aren't on the list either. https://www.camvap.ca/participating-...urers/~english

Regardless, you're right and I agree.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sway bar won't effect much warranty-wise, but if you end up putting non-factory-sized wheels/tires on there, that could potentially knock out you 10yr/100K mile powertrain warranty. So if you do swap wheels/tires, keep the old ones to put back on in case anything ever breaks, lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Sway bar won't effect much warranty-wise, but if you end up putting non-factory-sized wheels/tires on there, that could potentially knock out you 10yr/100K mile powertrain warranty. So if you do swap wheels/tires, keep the old ones to put back on in case anything ever breaks, lol
    That's no lol at all. It has happened before to some poor bloke here on the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouvermirage View Post
    Does installing a sway bar affect the warranty in anyway? Could not find a clear answer in previous threads.
    Nothing prevents you from removing the rear sway bar if you felt a warranty issue could be associated with it. What they don't know ....

If someone had an alignment issue with aftermarket wheels, putting their factory wheels back on would be no different. That's provided they haven't sold them already.