Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a 300k mile Mirage for $2k - good idea? Alternatives?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post

Consider:
    https://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/...256967138.html

A 2014 MT with 68k miles for $4250. It's a FL car, so no rust. They'd probably take $3800 cash for it. Worst case, it might need a clutch soon. But, shouldn't need anything else... for about 150,000 more miles. Seems like a MUCH better deal to me. Deals like that are out there.
    I would be in the same camp as Loren & Eggman. The above car is a great value, & it will last for years if taken care of. It is beyond warranty, but that car would have a lot of life left in it. I really like the 5-speed manual powertrain of these cars, & that particular car looks to be in nice shape.

If you don't quite have the funds & a small loan may be required, having a lien on the car may increase your insurance costs. I would only put liability on your 300,000 mile paid off Mirage, whereas this car may require more insurance if a loan is associated with it. Then again, it's worth more. These are all things to consider when buying any vehicle.

Not sure I am talking you in or out this possibility?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

penn_matte (01-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never saw it in person. Just messaged about it because I was curious. It would have to be stupid goofy cheap for me to bother going to get it since it's like 7 or 8 hours away from me.

As for the car I have, there's a long story that goes with it but I bought it for $400 (keep in mind, it was a total pile of garbage... see my garage thing and you can see) and then had to replace the clutch, trans, front bumper, and other random stuff. Ended up putting a lot more money into it than I should have I guess but then it got hit in a hail storm and I fixed the damage best I could for the insurance payout so the car ended up being more than free and I'm still ahead on it a few hundred bucks but that's definitely NOT a normal situation.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

penn_matte (01-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I would drive it and run a Carfax on it. Two people have driven this car nearly 300,000 miles. It was probably reasonably well maintained.

These cars will go a LONG time if they are maintained. As others have mentioned, check for rust. Honestly, the car looks pretty straight other than the odd damage on the passenger side doors. It actually looks like something might have fallen over and hit the car rather than it being in an accident. I don't see any misaligned panel gaps that would indicate a serious collision, and the pinstripe running down both sides of the car is intact. While it is possible that the car is still on it's original clutch I would be surprised. Other than the clutch and maybe the trans, there is really little else to worry about with a high-mileage Mirage. Engine problems are really rare.

If the Carfax comes back looking okay, the car runs and drives well, and it doesn't look like a garbage dumpster on the inside I would say $2k is a reasonable asking price for a car that is only six years old. But you should try to get it for less.

Oh, and I don't think that "1990s Corolla with 1xx,xxx miles for $1,000" is that easy to find anymore. There were two near me, and one had a rebuilt title. Both were pretty roached out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

penn_matte (01-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    These cars will go a LONG time if they are maintained. As others have mentioned, check for rust. Honestly, the car looks pretty straight other than the odd damage on the passenger side doors. It actually looks like something might have fallen over and hit the car rather than it being in an accident. I don't see any misaligned panel gaps that would indicate a serious collision, and the pinstripe running down both sides of the car is intact. While it is possible that the car is still on it's original clutch I would be surprised. Other than the clutch and maybe the trans, there is really little else to worry about with a high-mileage Mirage. Engine problems are really rare.
    Original clutch is based on what the owner of the car told me. As for the damage, he told me a deer ran into it. Forgot to mention that earlier I think? Anyway, yes, original clutch.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-27-2021),penn_matte (01-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Honestly, if the thing runs and drives okay I don't see why it wouldn't be worth $2,000. It is getting hard to find much more than a skateboard for that kind of money nowadays. Nobody would bat an eye at spending $2,000 on a clean, reasonably maintained 1997 Corolla with that kind of mileage, and we here know Mirages well enough to say they are probably just as reliable if cared for.

As I mentioned, finding those rugged 1990s Japanese cars cheap with low miles isn't as easy as it used to be even in my neck of the woods where rust isn't an issue.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

penn_matte (01-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    A billion miles plus body damage? That car ain't worth squat! ... I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about offering $1k for it. Be ready with $1200... maaaaybe $1500 if you really want it.
    This. Loren nailed it.

Maybe beat up Mirages really are more expensive in the States than in Canada (that would be a first for anything).

I can find 3 or 4 Mirages in my neck of the woods with 1/3 the miles (or less) on them for $2500-$3k.

$2k seems way overpriced for 300k miles. Budget $1k for repairs & needed maintenance on that gamble.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-27-2021),penn_matte (01-27-2021)

EG:

$2400 asking price for this 2015 5-speed with body damage. And only 77k km = 48k miles.

Admittedly, screaming deals like the above only seem to crop up every 2 or 3 months (I check almost daily), but you'd have to be mental and/or desperate to pay $2k for 300k miles if you can afford the time to be patient & search around.

Wally got his "high-mile" (239k km = 149k miles) top-spec 2014 for under $2k all in:

Name:  4716.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  65.6 KB

Purchase price was $1750, but he had it flat-bedded to his location, I think, which added to the cost.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...(Garage-entry)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

penn_matte (01-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmmm lots of good replies here for me to think about, but I'm not sure it has changed my uncertainty or not. The Canada cars that seem to pop up all the time do seem like great deals, but that seems like too much time and hassle trying to get them into the country and titled.
    Dodge Aries K - what did you offer him and what was his response? Maybe I'll ask to see some underbody photos/video for rust, a couple interior shots, ask for a VIN, and state that I'm interested in purchasing sight unseen if things appear to be okay but at an unstated (or maybe even stated) lower price due to X, Y, and Z issues/mileage/maintenance/comparison to other cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And are there specific rust-prone areas on these Mirages that should be inspected? Or any other trouble spots I should inquire about or look for (either on this guy's car or in future searches)

Edit: Just saw the forum post linked below about where Mirage's are going to rust out!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I asked him what kind of wiggle room he had and he said maybe $100 or so. But hell, see what he says. Eventually he will probably junk/donate it for the tax write off.