Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a 300k mile Mirage for $2k - good idea? Alternatives?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penn_matte View Post
    Hmmm lots of good replies here for me to think about, but I'm not sure it has changed my uncertainty or not. The Canada cars that seem to pop up all the time do seem like great deals, but that seems like too much time and hassle trying to get them into the country and titled.
    Dodge Aries K - what did you offer him and what was his response? Maybe I'll ask to see some underbody photos/video for rust, a couple interior shots, ask for a VIN, and state that I'm interested in purchasing sight unseen if things appear to be okay but at an unstated (or maybe even stated) lower price due to X, Y, and Z issues/mileage/maintenance/comparison to other cars.
    $2400 Canadian is less than $2000 American ($1872). I wouldn't go through the hassle either, but it's a great deal.

Another bullet proof vehicle is the Toyota Matrix?Pontiac Vibe - basically a Corolla hatchback. I like my Mirage, but I would be open to other options if I only had $2000 to spend on a vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I think you guys are expecting way too much for $2,000. There isn't much around me that is worth a damn for that kind of money.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Maybe beat up Mirages really are more expensive in the States than in Canada (that would be a first for anything).

I can find 3 or 4 Mirages in my neck of the woods with 1/3 the miles (or less) on them for $2500-$3k.
    Yep, they are more expensive here. Just as an example, here is Seattle Craigslist. Minimum price is $1 (dealers always put the price as $0), no max price. This is actually all of them.

The one for $4,500 has 72k and a builder title.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is KBB Private Party value on my '15 manual ES in "Good" shape with 166,000 miles.

And for a "Fair" condition '15 DE with 294,000 miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The issue isn't so much that the car is two grand, it's that the OP makes it seem they literally have two grand to spend so if they buy the car there won't be funds leftover to perform service.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    The issue isn't so much that the car is two grand, it's that the OP makes it seem they literally have two grand to spend so if they buy the car there won't be funds leftover to perform service.
    This is going to be the case with literally every $2,000 car. If a good car is $2,000 (like a Toyota Corolla) it will be because it has high miles and/or is quite old. A $2,000 car that was a POS when new (like a Dodge Neon) may be in nice shape and have low miles...but it is a bad car.

A well-maintained, high mileage, late model car that is known to be reliable and easy to work on might be their best bet.

Weird, I just went on kbb.com and .ca and they say the private party price is almost the same for my car. 2014 fancy model cvt with 30,000miles $5500 usd (90210) and $7300 on the Canada site with a local postal code.

Prices are all over the price, it always seems cars go for less out in Ontario and Quebec. But then you get to deal with rust.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This is going to be the case with literally every $2,000 car. If a good car is $2,000 (like a Toyota Corolla) it will be because it has high miles and/or is quite old. A $2,000 car that was a POS when new (like a Dodge Neon) may be in nice shape and have low miles...but it is a bad car.
    I can't trash talk Neons... They've been great cars for me especially with a stick. But regardless, if his maximum budget is $2000 then he's better off with an early 2000's something or other because then there's money left over for repairs. This Mirage will need a clutch sooner than later, it's inevitable. And for someone to pay a shop to replace the clutch is going to cost quite a bit. Also, the shocks and struts are probably worn out same as busings in the suspension requiring expensive dealer or imported parts. A $1000 Neon or older Corolla has the parts availability for pennies on the dollar compared to the Mitsubishi dealer gouging for things. I wish there was a bigger aftermarket for these little cars.

I mean hell, my $400 Mirage turned into a $2000 Mirage after repairs mainly because of parts pricing and I did all the work myself, as well.

Since I know how to do the work and what to look for, if I needed an inexpensive car and was within reasonable distance I would consider the thing but if I had no clue or no desire to drop the trans out to change the clutch and the willingness to wait to find wrecked cars in junkyards or slow shipping times for parts... It might not be such a good idea.

I would offer the same advice if the thing was a grand and the OP said his max budget is a grand. Buying something at your literal limit that needs work isn't a good idea regardless of cost.
    Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 01-28-2021 at 01:37 PM.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Weird, I just went on kbb.com and .ca and they say the private party price is almost the same for my car. 2014 fancy model cvt with 30,000miles $5500 usd (90210) and $7300 on the Canada site with a local postal code.

Prices are all over the price, it always seems cars go for less out in Ontario and Quebec. But then you get to deal with rust.
    I am not too surprised. What seems different is the number of Mirages for sale at below book prices in Canada. Such cars don't exist here. Forumers here in the States are calling a decent Mirage with 68k for $4250 a great deal...and it is. But it is also not a typical price.

This is why I don't understand why people here are saying a 300k 2015 Mirage that appears to run and drive just fine is virtually worthless.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    But regardless, if his maximum budget is $2000 then he's better off with an early 2000's something or other because then there's money left over for repairs.
    I guess my point is that ALL cars in this price range are a crap shoot. Not sure why it should be assumed that a $1,000 2001 Sentra with 213k on it will be a better bet than a $2,000 2015 Mirage with 294k on it?