Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Considering a 300k mile Mirage for $2k - good idea? Alternatives?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The easiest way to tell a 2014 from a 2015 at first glance is the antenna...
    Also for second glancers, VIN character 10 is model year: E = 2014, F = 2015

credit Mr. Eggman’s epic VIN thread -> https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...Decoder-Charts

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I picked it up last Thursday. Averaged 49.0mpg (according to the dash computer) on my ~100 mile trip home in temps around 30 F, mainly on a 55mph highway where I kept to the speed limit the whole way. The speakers are definitely a weak point and are pretty crummy for highway driving and maxed out they're at a pretty low listening level. I'm pleasantly surprised its still on the original battery from the factory!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penn_matte For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-19-2021),Eggman (02-19-2021),Fummins (02-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    That’s great news. Be sure to make a forum Garage entry.

Garage empty: add car

Be sure to post some pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

55 mph drive, huh? Uncommon discipline, and you'll be rewarded at the pump of course.

Of course, the factory MPG gauge is a little optimistic. If I recall, mine is 4-5% high on average (but it varies some from tank to tank).

Congrats!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    55 mph drive, huh? Uncommon discipline, and you'll be rewarded at the pump of course.

Of course, the factory MPG gauge is a little optimistic. If I recall, mine is 4-5% high on average (but it varies some from tank to tank).

Congrats!
    Yeah, it was late in the evening on a fairly low use highway (Route 1 between Maryland and Philly) so I wasn't holding anyone up. When I got on I-76 I did 65mph which was somewhat slow compared to some of the traffic, but not annoyingly so and at one point I actually passed someone. Heading southbound I'll be taking 95 the whole way as I can avoid tolls easily with a 5 minute detour through Newark so I'll likely get worse gas mileage as there's no way I could 55mph without being a serious hindrance to traffic. And yeah, I figure the gauge is likely a little optimistic, but I plan on just using that to feel good and use it as a reference point. I don't think I'll bother with tracking fuel intake and odometer mileage as I already drive pretty gingerly and do basic and effective techniques like laying off the gas early when approaching red lights and giving plenty of space to cars ahead so I can ease off the gas to slow instead of braking whenever heavy traffic speed is fluctuating. As I'm planning on doing fluids soon, I'm debating putting in a circulating coolant heater for improved fuel economy, better heat from the getgo, and lower wear and tear but trying to decide if the $100ish investment will be worth it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penn_matte View Post
    ...debating putting in a circulating coolant heater...
    You can install a dry block heater in these cars in about 30 minutes. You can get one at NAPA for under $50.

More info on Mirage block heaters HERE

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by penn_matte View Post
    at one point I actually passed someone.
    You know you're an eco-driver when that's a highlight of your trip ...

I figure the gauge is likely a little optimistic, but I plan on just using that to feel good and use it as a reference point.
    Also note these cars have TWO MPG gauges, "A" and "B". The "A" gauge is resettable, and it also auto-resets after 4 hours of inactivity. The "B" gauge does not reset unless you do it, so it's good for tracking tank MPG. But it's hidden/buried in the stupid ly designed interface. See:

Thread: Your Mirage has TWO fuel economy MPG gauges, (A & B) in the multi information display

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You know you're an eco-driver when that's a highlight of your trip ...

Also note these cars have TWO MPG gauges, "A" and "B". The "A" gauge is resettable, and it also auto-resets after 4 hours of inactivity. The "B" gauge does not reset unless you do it, so it's good for tracking tank MPG. But it's hidden/buried in the stupid ly designed interface. See:

Thread: Your Mirage has TWO fuel economy MPG gauges, (A & B) in the multi information display
    I reset my trip A gauge to zero every time I fill up. A person could do the same with the trip B gauge. I just punch in the miles on phone calculator (reset to zero after that) while the car is filling up & divide it by the reading on the gas pump. My last refill was 282.7 miles/6.717 gallons = 42 mpg. That included some 60-75 mph driving, extremely cold temperatures, snow tires tire up front, & winter blend fuel. I also tend to let my car idle a bit more in the winter rather than turn it off every time I stop to do something. I find summer mileage to be about 4-5 mpg better on average than winter driving. I never look at the mpg estimate given by the car.

Country
    France
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Smile Check that the timing belt has been done

It's good that the car has a manual transmission as the CVT or automatic transmission is usually a weak point in most cars (mainly because a lot of people never change the fluids).
    You should check if the timing belt has been changed. A car with that many miles the timing belt could break at anytime causing the loss of the engine. If it hasn't and you already bought it, you should change it as soon as possible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robertico View Post
    It's good that the car has a manual transmission as the CVT or automatic transmission is usually a weak point in most cars (mainly because a lot of people never change the fluids).
    You should check if the timing belt has been changed. A car with that many miles the timing belt could break at anytime causing the loss of the engine. If it hasn't and you already bought it, you should change it as soon as possible.
    The Mirage has a timing chain, not a belt. It should last the lifetime of the engine without issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-25-2021),Top_Fuel (02-25-2021)