https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4818a1.htm
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/research-data/...ng-system-fars
    https://www.iseecars.com/most-dangerous-cars-2019-study
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/MITSUBISHI/MIRAGE
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...advocates-say/
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31283362/

I found this one in particular entertaining
    https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...hatchback/2015

For one this video raises a bit of a concern for me as I am both shorter and less heavy than the average US adult male which seems to be 5' 9" 197lbs (175 cm 89 kg)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    "One star separates the 'most safe' car from the 'least safe' car."

That is something to think about. I have said it before, but there is really no such thing as an unsafe car anymore.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-04-2021),Subcompact Culture (01-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All cars are inherently unsafe. If people would drive as if they knew that... we'd all be inherently safer.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-04-2021),Fummins (01-27-2021),Subcompact Culture (01-27-2021)

I hear jets don’t usually hold up well in a crash. Guess they should take them off the road. Same with motorcycles.....
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (01-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    To show you how far cars have advanced, check out this video where they show modern cars crashing into older models. Even cars made 20 years ago look like deathtraps compared to newer cars.

New cars are safer than old cars, that's undeniable. But if you have doubts, here an Old Cars vs New Cars Crash Test Compilation that will show you how car safety has evolved in the last 20-30 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-04-2021),Avgjohndoe (01-29-2021),Loren (01-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    I hope I never am involved in a crash in my 1972 Plymouth Scamp. As tough and 'hard' as these old cars look, they get their asses whipped badly in crashes with new cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-28-2021),Loren (01-28-2021),Subcompact Culture (01-27-2021)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm so sick of this drivel about the Mirage being unsafe. Have we looked at the actual ratings? I have. They're perfectly fine—in fact, they're darn good. This is clickbait BS that is designed to bring in website views—plain and simple. People are always wanting to know what's the "most dangerous" car on the road. These days, like Cobrajet said, there are not unsafe cars. It's akin to comparing a Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Porsche and saying which one of these is the slowest when the 0-60 times are all within 0.2 seconds of each other. Talk about splitting hairs.

Listen, I own three cars that don't have any airbags, yet are much larger. Frankly, I'd rather be in the Mirage if I get into an accident. But this is the world we live in today. Anything for video views and website clicks.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-27-2021),inuvik (01-28-2021)

Edit:
    Found an even better one! HOLY ****! look at this thing crumple lol!!!!!!!!!!

These need to be narrated by aussie man
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-04-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I'm so sick of this drivel about the Mirage being unsafe. Have we looked at the actual ratings? I have. They're perfectly fine—in fact, they're darn good. This is clickbait BS that is designed to bring in website views—plain and simple. People are always wanting to know what's the "most dangerous" car on the road. These days, like Cobrajet said, there are not unsafe cars. It's akin to comparing a Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Porsche and saying which one of these is the slowest when the 0-60 times are all within 0.2 seconds of each other. Talk about splitting hairs.

Listen, I own three cars that don't have any airbags, yet are much larger. Frankly, I'd rather be in the Mirage if I get into an accident. But this is the world we live in today. Anything for video views and website clicks.

I agree with basically everything said here besides this video being bs or clickbait, with the exception of the title itself. Yes everyone wants to know what's most dangerous and unfortunately clickbait is a requirement when working on massive scales where the difference between a view and not is if the thing resonates with your impulse control more.

I'm just not sure if you watched the video or looked at any of the reference material
    Quote Originally Posted by Avgjohndoe View Post
    I found this one in particular entertaining
    https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...hatchback/2015
    , and if you did how you came to your conclusion.

Now I'm not saying you have to watch the video but I question if you did and your conclusion because for a TLDW; the video directly referenced the ratings showing it to be a highly rated car. The mirage made the highlight because this site, https://www.iseecars.com/most-dangerous-cars-2019-study ( link in the thread starting post references ) claiming to use this method;

"Methodology:

iSeeCars analyzed fatality data from the U.S. Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS). Only cars from model years 2013-2017 in crashes that resulted in occupant fatalities between 2012 and 2017 were included in the analysis. To adjust for exposure, the number of cars involved in a fatal crash were normalized by the total number of vehicle miles driven, which was estimated from iSeeCars’ data of over 25 million used car sales from model years 2013-2017 sold in 2013-2017. Heavy-duty trucks and vans, models not in production as of the 2019 model year or since the 2013/2014 model year, low-volume models, and models with fewer than 20 crashes with occupant fatalities were removed from further analysis.
    "
    [ U.S. Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) https://www.nhtsa.gov/research-data/...ng-system-fars. Site also linked in the first post reference material ]

while also taking the time to list death per mile driven in total for all vehicles and categorically, concluded more deaths happen in the Mirage than any other car, though I would have appreciated more categories.

However this highlight was only a small segment of the video between 3:11 & 4:39 from a 12:10 video, about 88 seconds, less than 10%. The rest of the video was essentially quick history on vehicle safety testing later followed with how the controlled data being collected isn't indicative of raw public crash data being collected. The video goes into further detail and basically said the data shows our finding do not match our predictions therefore some of of controlled data (in lab crashes) is making assumptions that the real world shows are faulty. Here are few of those assumptions and suggestions for corrections that can be applied to the testing methods to account for them.

I have only given a quick recap and leaving out IMO tons of interesting diamonds of information. If you did not watch the video please at least try to be open to ideas that do not fit your world view. If you did watch the video I would genuinely like to understand how you came to the conclusion that this is plain and simple clickbait BS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Someone sure is sensitive about that video ... or videos being referred to as clickbait. It's amazing how adverse we all are. For example, if someone refers to a video as clickbait and I don't agree, I leave them alone about it, allow them to have their opinion, and go on and live my life as best I can. I don't try to convince others to believe as I do. Or insinuate that somehow I am superior for my beliefs (not that anyone has done so here ... but it happens in real life, in politics and on fake news channels very commonly).

No disrespect to the previous poster. I don't think I'm superior. I just find it eye opening the adversity of our different lifestyles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)