Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just some curious vehicle safety concerns that highlight the Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The issue I have is not that they find the video bs or clickbait but that a position is being taken on the video where the argument being given is either drawing a conclusion wildly different from mine in which I really want to know what others are seeing that I am apparently oblivious to, or they did not look at any information provided in the original post and just wanted to add to the hype.

Yes yes vary cheeky. I can agree I am a self righteous asshole. Though that isn't my intention it is one of my many character flaws. I ask that my earlier statement not be taken as a gnashing of teeth and snarling. I will attempt to calm my tits.

If the above post is you style of humor you may find this channel I watch to you liking. It is a satire news channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKR...m27q4R3Q0kst_g

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You're clearly passionate about this, and that's great. I'm all for productive automotive discussions.

I'll admit, I didn't watch the entire video when I wrote the post. Somewhat ironically, I'd been a part of numerous recent discussions in other groups that talk about the "horrible safety" of the Mitsubishi Mirage. A car that has been rated pretty darn well overall.

Admittedly (and guilty as charged), people don't watch the videos, they just read the often headlines and form their opinion. In this case "Most Dangerous Car" coupled with a Mitsubishi Mirage crashing. What more do you need to know, right? Opinion formed, and yet another reasons all small cars are deathtraps. Right? /sarcasm

Perhaps my initial response was a bit knee-jerk.

I write for a number of publications (including my own). Most online publications are writing headlines just as much for SEO as they are to entice actual humans to read it (if not more so). "Which Is The Most Dangerous Car?" likely has fantastic search rankings. And, oh look, our video is #1 on my Google video search rankings for "most dangerous car." And again, with my tail between my legs, I didn't watch the video in its entirety when I wrote the post. I have since watched it and it does have some good info. I didn't know the length of the side curtain airbag was lengthened in the 2017+ Mirages, for example. [INSERT THE MORE YOU KNOW.GIF]

Regardless, automotive safety is a genuine concern for many car buyers. But, as Cobrajet said, there are no unsafe cars anymore. You can't argue against physics. An F-150 is bigger and heavier than a Mirage. As my old boss used to say, BCW: Big Car Wins.

But our opinions of headlines aside, with regards to the Mirage's safety concerns, I stand by my original post. I think the Mirage is safe enough. It's safe enough for me, anyway. All the airbags, ABS, crumple zones, etc. How will it do if you're t-boned by a lifted Ford F-350? Badly. Then again, if you're also not driving an F-350, you're likely out of luck, too. So OK: Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS—a nationwide census providing NHTSA, Congress, and the American public yearly data regarding fatal injuries in motor vehicle traffic crashes), says the Mirage is numero uno in fatalities. Keep in mind, this was from 2013–2017.

Does our entire crash testing system need an overhaul? Are cars these days still not safe enough? Should small cars be banned in the U.S. forcing everyone to drive HD trucks in the name of safety?

At what point do we all just drive Peterbilts or M1 Abrams tanks because "safety"?

Driving anything comes with risk. Small cars may not fare as well in crashes. Pickups and SUVs may roll over easier. Sports cars may have a higher propensity for single-vehicle accidents (just a guess). Then there's a whole discussion about motorcycles, the safety of older non-SRS-equipped vehicles, and gray-market imports that weren't even sold here.

Now that I've written a novella, sure: the Mirage has a high death rate. Someone's got to be at the top. And if you or car buyers aren't comfortable with that, this isn't the car for you.
    Last edited by Subcompact Culture; 01-29-2021 at 04:49 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-04-2021),inuvik (01-29-2021),MetroMPG (01-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    "One star separates the 'most safe' car from the 'least safe' car."

That is something to think about. I have said it before, but there is really no such thing as an unsafe car anymore.
    My wifes 14 was smashed by a SVU and sandwitched into another. She was totally fine. Cars are insanely safe these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hear jets don’t usually hold up well in a crash. Guess they should take them off the road.
    Yeah usually do. They try to keep them in the air :P

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is unfortunate a model has to be at the top of this unfortunate list. Whether or not it is safe enough for someone does not dispute the data. I bought the car assuming subcompact cars are the least safe vehicle. Just like motorcycles are not going to be as safe as any car. Like someone said above "Big Car Wins" I would be more interested in the type of crashes especially single vehicle or where mirage drivers lost control. Or the driver demographics. Like were these young inexperienced drivers or if other drivers didn't see them due to vehicle size. This may prompt me to look at LED daytime running lights.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting video. I think the crumple zone is very interesting. I haven't looked too much into crashed car ratings but it seems like 'most' modern cars, (2011+??) are quite safe. BUT, of course, there are millions of factors too. I've seen 2017-2018 cars beginning to have surface rust. If it's already that bad, underneath the car could be worse?

I believe most of the modern built cars are a lot safer than they were just 15-20 years ago. Especially if the car is 20+ years old and in the salt belt.

I feel pretty safe in my Mirage being 5'8 and being 225 pounds. As my dad told me when I got my driver's license, "I'm not afraid of your driving, I'm afraid of those who will hit you" Still rings true to me to this day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel pretty safe in my Mirage being 5'8 and being 225 pounds. As my dad told me when I got my driver's license, "I'm not afraid of your driving, I'm afraid of those who will hit you" Still rings true to me to this day.[/QUOTE]

Same with riding a motorcycle - everyone should be required to take the safety course I took. It really makes you aware of what other drivers are doing.