Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: She's tired but still has some fight left! (For sale: 2014 with wonky CVT)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG
    so he decided to just put it in N and push it to the charger (basically across a parking lot). But the car wouldn't let him! It automatically shifts into park if you get out of the car when it's in N!
    Wow is that dumb. I wonder if the spare tire has enough mass to trip the butt detector. If not if I ever get a Bolt I'll be neutering that switch for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Wow is that dumb. I wonder if the spare tire has enough mass to trip the butt detector. If not if I ever get a Bolt I'll be neutering that switch for sure.
    Interesting point you make there.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    (And didn't think of trying to climb out the window until much later.)
    This suggests the safety feature is activated when the door is opened, not by a seat-mounted occupancy sensor. The Mirage has similar feature - for example unlocking the car by remote but not opening the door causes the car to lock down again after a period of time.

In either case odd symptoms have a funny way of causing confusion. Can you imagine instances where a forgetful driver walks away from their Bolt and it rolls away on them?

Not sure which you say is dumb - the safety feature or the driver?
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-31-2021 at 10:49 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    If it wasn't in Canada I'd want it just for the heated seats and mirrors
    Makes 2 of us.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'm curious why your cvt was just acting weird and not just completely break like most do? Hopefully Fummins does a tear down.

I'm on the edge of my seat for all the gory details about the situation with this car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman
    This suggests the safety feature is activated when the door is opened, not by a seat-mounted occupancy sensor.

In either case odd symptoms have a funny way of causing confusion. Can you imagine instances where a forgetful driver walks away from their Bolt and it rolls away on them?

Not sure which you say is dumb - the safety feature or the driver?
    Well to call it feature suggest it adds something to the vehicle. I'm calling this hindrance/nuisance dumb not the driver. A vehicle is a tool, it's purpose is to turn my inputs at the controls into actions. If I need to push it in neutral I need to push it in neutral, if I need to think two steps ahead of it to circumvent it (whether that means climbing out the window or put false weight on the drivers seat) is beside the point.

Having a responsive, predictable vehicle goes a long way towards being a safe driver. The more junk that gets piled on the less predictable it becomes.

Accelerate, decelerate, gear selection, steering, lighting switch, and wipers. That's fundamentally all the main controls needed.
    "The true designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add but nothing left to take away" after all.
    I 100% give the Mirage (at least my 2015) credit for not having most of the modern fad suite of detriments.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman
    The Mirage has similar feature - for example unlocking the car by remote but not opening the door causes the car to lock down again after a period of time.
    Yes I'm well aware... Again predictability is paramount. Last summer I thought it would have relocked so I didn't bother checking that it had, well lo and behold that time it didn't and overnight someone entered the car dumped the glovebox contents on the floor and shuffled though everything probably looking for cash. Nothing was taken, but still.

I'm on the edge of my seat for all the gory details about the situation with this car.
    It's not what I was expecting, it's better! https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...(Garage-entry)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    spare tire
    Lol, nope, sure doesn't have one of those. I actually can't believe the Mirage comes with one, yet every car I've had since doesn't. You think if there were ever a car that could have used weight and cost reduction...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's my baby you're talking about! Haha!

It was actually a little sad handing the keys over; I hadn't driven it more that 5 minutes in the last two years, but the trip to deliver it to Fummins reacquainted us. I missed that tiny little rattletrap!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Well to call it feature suggest it adds something to the vehicle. I'm calling this hindrance/nuisance dumb not the driver. A vehicle is a tool, it's purpose is to turn my inputs at the controls into actions. If I need to push it in neutral I need to push it in neutral, if I need to think two steps ahead of it to circumvent it (whether that means climbing out the window or put false weight on the drivers seat) is beside the point.

Having a responsive, predictable vehicle goes a long way towards being a safe driver.
    All good points. Though in this case it all could have been avoided if the car didn't run out of juice lol. Sometimes companies have to engineer safeguards to protect their business interests against the litigious public. It's understandable, just like many of the points you've made.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)