Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My HID to LED nightmare

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    l've ordered 30+ different styles and types of Led bulbs for my various cars since HS... and the Auxito H4 Led bulbs are the only ones that l feel don't cause excessive glare, give the same light output compared to the halogen, and are truly plug n play. l feel like l'm doing PR for them lol. They were not cheap but every car l get from now on, l'll use Auxito if they have reflective housings. Unless l have a car that comes with Projector housings...then l'll use true HIDs. The Led bulbs are very bright...but l feel nothing touches HID bulbs in Projector housings...maybe l'm wrong?
    My wifes Kizashi has projection style housings but used Halogen bulbs. Switching over to a led was an amazing different and just plug in play. I assumed that switching from a HID to LED in a projection style housing would yield the same results but really doesnt seem to pan out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My best guess then would be the headlight bulbs themselves. Gotta love trial and error... There's so many bulbs on the market it gets confusing on which one is good. Either the wiring didn't work...but in your picture it showed them working so my guess then would be the bulbs. There's probably an smd burnt out on one side of the bulbs which is why it caused a V pattern. Many of the bulbs l bought had a chip burnt out or would flicker so it wouldn't illuminate a certain section and cause dead spots.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-31-2021 at 01:19 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Clessy (01-31-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Man its well documented on here how finiky Mitsu electrical systems are in these Mirages. Are the halogens that bad? The LEDs def look better though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My best guess then would be the headlight bulbs themselves. Gotta love trial and error... There's so many bulbs on the market it gets confusing on which one is good. Either the wiring didn't work...but in your picture it showed them working so my guess then would be the bulbs. There's probably an smd burnt out on one side of the bulbs which is why it caused a V pattern. Many of the bulbs l bought had a chip burnt out or would flicker so it wouldn't illuminate a certain section and cause dead spots.
    Yeah im gonna order around 3 or 4 different styles and see what works. Also as temp fix for now i'd love to know what bulbs that fog light takes. Just put brighter ones in there as a hold over. Its fun and frustrating at the same time not getting the results you want but, i'd love to be able to have a full solution for people in the future.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Definitely look at https://auxito.com/. They're $$$, but are well worth it in my opinion. Just put in year/make/model/location and they'll show you what bulbs to get. Yeah, trial and error can be fun...but for me got expensive and at the end of my research l just wanted something that would work, regardless of price.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-31-2021 at 07:39 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    And they tend to blind oncoming drivers.
    That is more based on beam pattern than light source. "Highs" shine high (far distance, directly in driver's eyes), "lows" shine low (have a hard cutoff in the beam pattern below eye level of other drivers, as such does not project as far).

Again, if you get a properly designed replacement that mimics the shape/position of the original halogen bulb, it doesn't matter if you're generating light from Thanos' Soul Stones (is that what they were called?), light is light.

Brightness is not the issue, either, as you can legally purchase mega-bright halogens. They just aren't used/recommended much because they get brighter by having a slimmer filament burn hotter and thus have very short service life.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    That is more based on beam pattern than light source. "Highs" shine high (far distance, directly in driver's eyes), "lows" shine low (have a hard cutoff in the beam pattern below eye level of other drivers, as such does not project as far).

Again, if you get a properly designed replacement that mimics the shape/position of the original halogen bulb, it doesn't matter if you're generating light from Thanos' Soul Stones (is that what they were called?), light is light.
    That's the problem - too many cheap out and use poorly designed bulbs whose source of light isn't in the same spot as an incandescent, leading to blinding glare. Because the reflector(s) aren't designed for that type of light source, it causes beam problems.

Heck, this happens with OEM designs too if the roads aren't perfectly flat. Driving over crowned intersections can cause high-intensity beams to blind drivers in their path. It's impressive for the driver of the vehicle and its occupants but not to others.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying - I get your point. I still don't like 'em and think there should be standards against lighting that is too bright.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some of the Acura and Honda products have Headlights that cause extreme glare. Those "jewel eye" headlights in the new Accord, TLX, and ILX can really blind you with the low beams at night. The drivers can see for miles l'm sure but l still think that they have their high beams on when they only have on the low beams.

Name:  22_Jewel-Eye-LED-headlights_400_thb.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  16.1 KB

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Hope you find good bulbs Clessy! Keep us updated
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-31-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Definitely look at https://auxito.com/. They're $$$, but are well worth it in my opinion. Just put in year/make/model/location and they'll show you what bulbs to get. Yeah, trial and error can be fun...but for me got expensive and at the end of my research l just wanted something that would work, regardless of price.
    The lights I got are actually Auxito lights and they work great in a halogen reflective casing but the design for the mirage thats for the halogen doesnt work in this projection. What I need to find is a car that uses 9003 bulbs and has projections that arent HIDS.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-31-2021)

Why not just go with hid bulbs?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)