Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My HID to LED nightmare

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My HID to LED nightmare

This has been a huge pita but I wanted to document it all and still need help finishing this up.

So it looks good and all but it provides no light output

You get to V like shapes and in the middle of those v is a dead spot of light. So seeing directly in front of you provides no light.

I found nice plastic covers and grinded everything around the housing to fit them over properly. They keep water out nicely.

This has to be cut and you'll need to remove the housing off the HID housing instead of the halogen one. Black is ground and Green is hot. Almost the same with the other. Blue goes to green.

So this is how it looked when I had no black rubber around the back. It seemed to be bright and work great however I dont know because I tested it with only 1 light in the HID assembly and one in the Halogen until the other came in.

Would totally love suggestions as to why the LEDs in the HID assemblies provide next to no light.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Could be the Led bulbs themselves...also, are those GT projector headlights plug n play? If not, that could cause problems...l've bought many led bulbs over the years and nothing beats Auxito Led Bulbs...

Here is a video on Projector-style led bulbs, a new type of led bulb https://youtu.be/khchPP9XtQA

l've had plenty of led bulbs that had "dead spots" and some that never worked out of the box.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i believe its because of the led since that headlight is design to use HID then replacing with a LED will not work AFAIK so you better buy the OEM hid for that headlight or buy the older Assembly headlight to use an H4 LED.

https://ledlightinginfo.com/do-led-b...tor-headlights

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Could be the Led bulbs themselves...also, are those GT projector headlights plug n play? If not, that could cause problems...l've bought many led bulbs over the years and nothing beats Auxito Led Bulbs...

Here is a video on Projector-style led bulbs, a new type of led bulb https://youtu.be/khchPP9XtQA

l've had plenty of led bulbs that had "dead spots" and some that never worked out of the box.
    i saw those projector H4s but was hesitant beause i thought it was only used for motorcycles. But since you posted a VID might buy 1 soon hehe

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-31-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I bought LED's for my old Ranger & in 2 days I put the regular lights back... If the lamp isn't designed for the LED's, they wont work properly...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LED's get a bad rap on vehicles for a few reasons, but generally it's because y'all are gambling on cheap ones from China.

The concept of a LED bulb is simple but making one that fits your car, matches the shape of the original halogen bulb, reliably outputs an acceptable amount of light, appropriately disapates heat, and doesn't **** up the electronics in your car actually requires a bit of know-how and not-cheap-**** parts. Not all LED's are created equal, and that's to say nothing of the rest of the housing.

A company called "Headlight Revolution" does a lot of reviews on YouTube that I found immensely helpful. They sell the bulbs they recommend, of course, so take it with a grain of salt, but at the very least you can probably rely on them not wanting to piss off their customer base by selling trash.

Also, in the USA all LED headlight bulbs are marketed using Euro sizing and as motorcycle/foglight bulbs because LED replacent bulbs in halogen housings are technically illegal for road use as they have not yet been approved by NHTSA.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    LED replacent bulbs in halogen housings are technically illegal for road use as they have not yet been approved by NHTSA.
    And they tend to blind oncoming drivers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    LED's get a bad rap on vehicles for a few reasons, but generally it's because y'all are gambling on cheap ones from China.

The concept of a LED bulb is simple but making one that fits your car, matches the shape of the original halogen bulb, reliably outputs an acceptable amount of light, appropriately disapates heat, and doesn't **** up the electronics in your car actually requires a bit of know-how and not-cheap-**** parts. Not all LED's are created equal, and that's to say nothing of the rest of the housing.

A company called "Headlight Revolution" does a lot of reviews on YouTube that I found immensely helpful. They sell the bulbs they recommend, of course, so take it with a grain of salt, but at the very least you can probably rely on them not wanting to piss off their customer base by selling trash.

Also, in the USA all LED headlight bulbs are marketed using Euro sizing and as motorcycle/foglight bulbs because LED replacent bulbs in halogen housings are technically illegal for road use as they have not yet been approved by NHTSA.
    l've ordered 30+ different styles and types of Led bulbs for my various cars since HS... and the Auxito H4 Led bulbs are the only ones that l feel don't cause excessive glare, give the same light output compared to the halogen, and are truly plug n play. l feel like l'm doing PR for them lol. They were not cheap but every car l get from now on, l'll use Auxito if they have reflective housings. Unless l have a car that comes with Projector housings...then l'll use true HIDs. The Led bulbs are very bright...but l feel nothing touches HID bulbs in Projector housings...maybe l'm wrong?
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-31-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    i believe its because of the led since that headlight is design to use HID then replacing with a LED will not work AFAIK so you better buy the OEM hid for that headlight or buy the older Assembly headlight to use an H4 LED.

https://ledlightinginfo.com/do-led-b...tor-headlights
    That very same article you quote says leds are fine in projection style lights.....

Also wanted to say i've had no issue with leds in halogen housings ever but, this it he first time putting a led into hid style housing and its giving just garbage light out put.

I'm going to toy around with a few different bulb designs and if that doesnt work i'll admit defeat and count this as a expensive learning lesson to anyone who wanted to follow the path. Either use HID or just buy better bulbs for your Halogens.
    Last edited by Clessy; 01-31-2021 at 12:48 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It all depends on what you want to do, l don't want to upgrade to HID housings if l can have better visibility in my Reflective housings with a different bulb but everyone's different. Best of luck to you Clessy