Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat bored, want to run the Blueberry at top speed...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    It wasn't so bad. It cleaned up real easy. You just get in line and wait your turn.
    And then the people in line behind you wait, and wait, and wait some more!

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    There's an event held a couple of times a year called The Texas Mile. It's held at an airport. You take your car there to see what its top speed is. I'm not sure if it's open to everyone or not. You have a 1 mile straightaway to reach your top speed.

The Texas Mile

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Guys,

The last couple weeks worth of "Latest Posts" have left me a little bored. Good topics, don't get me wrong, just not enough of them. I was just watching some car chase videos, and remembering back to when I had my FD3S, for some reason it makes me want to find some safe (safe as possible that is) place and run the guts out of the cute little Blueberry.

I wish Toyota would let me run their 10 mile oval. And not have to worry about law enforcement and the only person in danger would be myself. That would be cool. Put a transponder on it and run 2 or 3 laps.

Crap ... this topic is boring too (sorry guys). It's not easily done out here on the right side of the country. I watched a video of a guy out in the Las Vegas area. He took his Yamaha Bolt about an hour out into the desert. Hardly a car around. And ran about 2 or 3 miles in 1 direction at top speed, then back the other direction at top speed. Law enforcement doesn't waste their time out where he was, and there was no traffic. It looked like so much fun. Anywho, there's nothing like that, that I'm aware of, out here on the right side of the country. I'm jealous of you desert dweller fellers.

7milesout
    I've had my Mirage up to 176 km's / hour. Middle of the night on the totally empty freeway. Just over 100 miles an hour. My Mirage would be a bit more "shake, rattle, and roll" today, but my car was smooth at this high speed.

I wouldn't do it again, my Mirage was constant at 5000+ rpm in 5th gear.

Speed limits around Flint are like 75 mph, and everyone is booking at even higher speed. So the Mirage can do it, just don't expect to get there too quickly lol.

If it weren't for stupid covid I was suppose to do the Ferrari experience, on the track, so hopefully I can do that when things open up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There's an event held a couple of times a year called The Texas Mile. It's held at an airport. You take your car there to see what its top speed is. I'm not sure if it's open to everyone or not. You have a 1 mile straightaway to reach your top speed.

The Texas Mile
    I thought about it, and quickly realized 1 mile is not enough space ... for a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I've had my Mirage up to 176 km's / hour. Middle of the night on the totally empty freeway. Just over 100 miles an hour. My Mirage would be a bit more "shake, rattle, and roll" today, but my car was smooth at this high speed.

I wouldn't do it again, my Mirage was constant at 5000+ rpm in 5th gear.

Speed limits around Flint are like 75 mph, and everyone is booking at even higher speed. So the Mirage can do it, just don't expect to get there too quickly lol.

If it weren't for stupid covid I was suppose to do the Ferrari experience, on the track, so hopefully I can do that when things open up.
    Haha, yeah, I did something similar on my way home one weekend while I had a BMW 'pace car' in front of me. Managed to stay at ~95mph for a lot of the way back. The engine was really struggling hard at that point, though.

I swear the car actually groaned when I went to start it up the next day. I don't think poor Piddles could handle that kind of driving on a daily basis!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Piddles ... Such a phenomenal name for a Mirage. I was thinking a good personalized plate would be: NNORUSH

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The point is, running it pegged out... WFO... is VERY satisfying. I'd love to do that with the Mirage, but I suspect I might wind up in jail.
    This is why you do it in a closed course competition. You can "not compete" or not be concerned about the competition. Just enter the event for the experience of doing it.

A lot of people autocross in exactly this manner. They're not "competing", they're just out having fun. A lot of people do track events for the same reason... they are "non-competition" events... just out racking up laps at speed and having fun. If you want to run your Mirage WFO for a good long ways, "Open Road Racing" is the way to do it legally and relatively safely. Trust me, those guys will understand your "need for speed" and most of them won't judge you a bit.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can't wait to tear around the racetrack in a Ferrari F430. I assume I have to sign some sort of waiver to drive on the racetrack.

Seems so weird that NASCAR is now eNASCAR. Or was for a while last spring. Can't anyone be a pro NASCAR driver?

My friend did some pro amateur racing or whatever, Buick Regal type of thing. He said each race you tear through a tire or two, and each tire is like $300 bucks or something. Getting a pilot's license may be a cheaper midlife crisis ambition lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My friend did some pro amateur racing or whatever, Buick Regal type of thing. He said each race you tear through a tire or two, and each tire is like $300 bucks or something. Getting a pilot's license may be a cheaper midlife crisis ambition lol.
    That's racing - it's an expensive hobby. And what's the end goal - a trophy or a ribbon?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's racing - it's an expensive hobby. And what's the end goal - a trophy or a ribbon?
    The thrill of it is why, I suppose. No accolades or badges of adulation for me. I asked my friend if any race car drivers have died at the local track. Like over the years. Track was all dirt at first I believe. Anyways, one guy in the 1970s or 80s had a heart-attack mid-race. Unfortunately, you can make this stuff up. He didn't get into the other stories. Cool hobby, in the old days auto racing was that much more dangerous. However just recently Formula One had that huge single car crash, and with the new tech the guy just walked away.

Anyway expensive hobby auto racing is. It's real and it's in the moment. But yea, maybe not the same. Over 7 years I love that my Mirage handles and corners or outcorners so many cars. More Mini Cooper than anything.