Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat bored, want to run the Blueberry at top speed...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's racing - it's an expensive hobby. And what's the end goal - a trophy or a ribbon?
    You tend to ask questions like this often. "Why modify your suspension?" "Why go racing?"

Some people get it. Some people don't get it. If you have to ask... you don't get it. And you likely never will. And that's okay.

Back to the question at hand:

Some people are very competitive and like to do things like auto racing, or triathlons, or playing various other sports because they want to WIN. They want to be the best. Yes, they want that trophy or ribbon, even if that's all it is.

Some people just like a challenge. They'll get into auto racing or mountain climbing or whatever because it's NOT easy, and they want to challenge themselves to learn to do it.

Some people just ENJOY DOING IT. They might not ever win, or they might only win at a certain level, or they might not even be very GOOD at it, or they might not have the budget to invest in the best equipment... and they're okay with that. They still do it because it's something they enjoy doing. Everybody needs a hobby. What's the "goal" of ANY hobby? To pass some time and enjoy doing it.

I understand where you're coming from in a way. I'm a "car guy", and very much an "amateur racing" guy, so I understand cars and racing and why things are done the way they are. But, I used to see things like the "stance kids" driving around in their Hondas with 20-30 degrees of negative camber and it would just make me shake my head because I understand what negative camber is FOR... and it's not for status or style. More is only better up to a point, but it became a fad and it almost made me angry to see things like that. "WHY???"

Then, one day I came up behind one of those Hondas in traffic. Kid was minding his own business. Driving normally, using his turn signals... with his 30 degrees of negative camber and comical contact patch on his rear tire... and I saw his bumper sticker. It said "Negative Camber - Positive Attitude". That moment changed my life. Right there in that moment, I accepted that kid and what he was doing. I might agree with it. I might think it's stupid. I might not understand why they're doing it. But, he's having fun with it and he thinks it looks cool, and who am I to judge?

I still shake my head. But, I try to not judge. And I've learned to appreciate even ridiculous things when they are well-executed!

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    You tend to ask questions like this often. "Why modify your suspension?" "Why go racing?"

Some people get it. Some people don't get it. If you have to ask... you don't get it. And you likely never will. And that's okay.

Back to the question at hand:

Some people are very competitive and like to do things like auto racing, or triathlons, or playing various other sports because they want to WIN. They want to be the best. Yes, they want that trophy or ribbon, even if that's all it is.

Some people just like a challenge. They'll get into auto racing or mountain climbing or whatever because it's NOT easy, and they want to challenge themselves to learn to do it.

Some people just ENJOY DOING IT. They might not ever win, or they might only win at a certain level, or they might not even be very GOOD at it, or they might not have the budget to invest in the best equipment... and they're okay with that. They still do it because it's something they enjoy doing. Everybody needs a hobby. What's the "goal" of ANY hobby? To pass some time and enjoy doing it.

I understand where you're coming from in a way. I'm a "car guy", and very much an "amateur racing" guy, so I understand cars and racing and why things are done the way they are. But, I used to see things like the "stance kids" driving around in their Hondas with 20-30 degrees of negative camber and it would just make me shake my head because I understand what negative camber is FOR... and it's not for status or style. More is only better up to a point, but it became a fad and it almost made me angry to see things like that. "WHY???"

Then, one day I came up behind one of those Hondas in traffic. Kid was minding his own business. Driving normally, using his turn signals... with his 30 degrees of negative camber and comical contact patch on his rear tire... and I saw his bumper sticker. It said "Negative Camber - Positive Attitude". That moment changed my life. Right there in that moment, I accepted that kid and what he was doing. I might agree with it. I might think it's stupid. I might not understand why they're doing it. But, he's having fun with it and he thinks it looks cool, and who am I to judge?

I still shake my head. But, I try to not judge. And I've learned to appreciate even ridiculous things when they are well-executed!
    Good for you Loren. Not sure why you take my posts so personally lately. Nothing of what I posted was directed at you, but you take issue. That's your thing I guess.

Similar to your story I can admire the big wheel crowd as Fummins shared in one of his previous posts. It's not something I would choose to do to a car but can respect that it keeps one more car out of the wrecking yard, and that's good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post

I think that hits the nail on the head there Loren. Just do your hobby, whatever it is you like to do. I like collecting used CDs at used stores, it's a cheap hobby and I never know what new thing I'll find next. Also CDs don't take a lot of room, money or even time.

I have a few houseplants too and planted 2 oaks in my yard, brilliant red leaves over the winter. One didn't make it, maybe the other one will. Anyways hobbies are good and gardening is a good one for your health with the soil and the minerals lol literally, and being out in the sun. Anyway way off topic now lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Might be fun to run up to top speed, but only on the track and if you do it on public roads it can be fun until you see blue lights in the rearview...or take a turn too fast and get the car up on 2 wheels (happened to me in HS and l was reckless in a parking lot...learned from that)...then it's not as fun and can turn deadly in an instant... Main point: Be Careful!
    Last edited by MirageRally; 02-06-2021 at 11:03 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Loren and all,

I officially roadraced motorcycles. I didn't do it as a hobby. Well, more or less I did. But not like hobby "track days" "racing." I raced in WERA. Which is like (or was like) a feeder to the AMA (but the AMA is dead now from what I understand). It is absolutely real racing.

And I've put a lot of miles with knee pucks on pavement. I've put some distance of my leathers on the pavement crashing too. Those days are behind me now. Luckily I only sustained minor injuries. I never did it for trophies. If I had to identify WHY I did it it, it was mainly just so I could do it more and more and more. Because the feeling of being unlimited and to be part of a machine remains a very natural and desirable feeling to me. But I have a family now. In about 10 more years, I should have them completely out of the nest and on their own.

I've autocrossed my FD3S. It was too ... easy? Too ... I don't know, unrisky. It was fun, but didn't completely satisfy me. I only autocrossed 2 times about a year apart. There was about 100 cars there both times. I got 3rd both times. In both cases first place was an S2000, 2nd was a Miata. Both of those guys were out there every weekend. I was gaining on their times consistently, but beat everybody else. Partly because an FD3S is no joke, and partly because I can drive.

What will I do when my sons are independent? Dunno. It probably won't be racing. But doing something dangerous is VERY appealing to me. Don't ask me why, I don't know. I just want to do dangerous things. Not life threatening danger like the base jumpers wearing wing suits (sooner than later you're going to die) danger. But there's a level of risk I find exciting. Of late, I never meet that excitement level.

The point being, I have a good amount of racing experience. I do NOT want to race ... in a Mirage. I just simply want to run its guts out at top speed. That's all. I may or may not find a way to do such out here in the east.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Loren (02-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Loren and all,

I officially roadraced motorcycles. I didn't do it as a hobby. Well, more or less I did. But not like hobby "track days" "racing." I raced in WERA. Which is like (or was like) a feeder to the AMA (but the AMA is dead now from what I understand). It is absolutely real racing.

And I've put a lot of miles with knee pucks on pavement. I've put some distance of my leathers on the pavement crashing too. Those days are behind me now. Luckily I only sustained minor injuries. I never did it for trophies. If I had to identify WHY I did it it, it was mainly just so I could do it more and more and more. Because the feeling of being unlimited and to be part of a machine remains a very natural and desirable feeling to me. But I have a family now. In about 10 more years, I should have them completely out of the nest and on their own.

I've autocrossed my FD3S. It was too ... easy? Too ... I don't know, unrisky. It was fun, but didn't completely satisfy me. I only autocrossed 2 times about a year apart. There was about 100 cars there both times. I got 3rd both times. In both cases first place was an S2000, 2nd was a Miata. Both of those guys were out there every weekend. I was gaining on their times consistently, but beat everybody else. Partly because an FD3S is no joke, and partly because I can drive.

What will I do when my sons are independent? Dunno. It probably won't be racing. But doing something dangerous is VERY appealing to me. Don't ask me why, I don't know. I just want to do dangerous things. Not life threatening danger like the base jumpers wearing wing suits (sooner than later you're going to die) danger. But there's a level of risk I find exciting. Of late, I never meet that excitement level.

The point being, I have a good amount of racing experience. I do NOT want to race ... in a Mirage. I just simply want to run its guts out at top speed. That's all. I may or may not find a way to do such out here in the east.

7milesout

This could be an option:

https://justtrackit.net/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Might be fun to run up to top speed, but only on the track and if you do it on public roads it can be fun until you see blue lights in the rearview...or take a turn too fast and get the car up on 2 wheels (happened to me in HS and l was reckless in a parking lot...learned from that)...then it's not as fun and can turn deadly in an instant... Main point: Be Careful!
    Agreed. The video I referred to before is below. Watch from 5:10. This guy is very responsible and safe. If it's going to be done on public roadways, it should be done like this. And out in the desert. If I were a cop, I might pull this guy over if I caught him. But if he were safe, sane, legal and explained his purpose, I would remind him to be careful and not issue a citation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ApLOsHIPk

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    This could be an option:

https://justtrackit.net/
    That's Road Atlanta. Put a thousand laps on that track. Would never hit top speed in a Mirage. Not enough space, would eat up brakes trying. Been there, done that. Great track, it would be much more fun in a better prepared vehicle than a Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, hell... why didn't you say so?

I can see how autocross would be less of a thrill after motorcycle racing, especially at that level.

From my experience with autocross:
    1. Most people who started road racing (cars) before autocrossing usually suck at autocross and don't like it. Turns are too tight, and their car control isn't that good.
    2. Most people who started autocrossing first and got good at it make MUCH better road racers! Autocross lets you explore the limits of the car a lot more.
    3. Universally -- experienced motorcycle racers make GREAT autocrossers! What makes you fast on an autocross course is what keeps you from getting dead when tracking a motorcycle. If you've done a bunch of road racing on a bike and you're not dead, you can autocross.

So, your experience puts a whole new spin on this thread.

I'm not sure you'd get the slightest thrill out of a top speed run in the Mirage. It'll top out around 110 eventually. You'll either hit a speed limiter, a rev limiter, or just wind resistance. It's gonna be boring unless you're on a track trying to MAINTAIN some of that speed in some corners.

Even autocrossing in a Mirage if you're REALLY pushing it can be "exciting" because the car is top heavy. Put some sticky rubber under it and start approaching 1G, it's going to want to turn turtle on you. If you're looking for a thrill in a Mirage... well, trying to get around an autocross course or a track as fast as possible without putting it on its roof might do it! That said, most autocross clubs will exclude the Mirage if they're paying attention. SCCA won't allow it in stock class, for sure. At a track event... they'd probably let you run it. Basically, learn to drive your Mirage like a motorcycle... on two wheels. That would be kind of exciting, I'd think. I don't think I'm good enough to want to do that, and the thought of rolling over doesn't appeal to me. But, it sounds like it might be right up your alley with regards to both skills and thrills!

But, straight line max speed. Yawn. Sort of like drag racing. You know what I mean.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    This guy is very responsible and safe.
    I'm not a motorcycle guy, but I see a disturbing lack of safety gear. I've seen road rash, it's no fun. Otherwise, yeah, he's doing what he's doing in a safe enough place.