Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: REAR plate mounting options

I hear you. It shouldn't have been delivered like that. But....if that's the only thing wrong with the car I'd call it a win. Things could be worse.

Congrats, welcome and nice car btw.

Last edited by Fummins; 02-13-2021 at 11:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also I know you hate to hear this but, to a sales person and a dealership no, everyones time isnt equally valuable. If you're where buying a mirage from me I wouldn't be rude or not care but i would haggle or give you more than 30 minutes of my time to make up your mind. I made $100 for selling one of these things vs around 500 per outland sport 700 for outlander and anywhere up to $1700 for a used car. To get the car sold paperwork and all that its normally a 1 to 3 hour window. $33.33 an hour doesnt get me excited to be losing time with my family and staying late at a dealership.[/QUOTE]

Do you think White Bear Mitsubishi would care if it went out of his dealership? Just wondering. They SEEM to be more interested maybe not. This dealer assumes I won't be going back there for service or parts.

I guess that is an inherent issue with commission sales people. Good things hospitals aren't commission. Our health care system is bad enough.

I guess I'd be annoyed too if the tv guy drilled extra holes in my wall when mounting a tv leaving me to patch them. Maybe some people don't care about that.

I probably need to lower my expectations of other people's workmanship.

I'm developing a modification for this and I will attempt my first write up if it turns out well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I know the opinions on this will most likely be divided. This is one reason I always said I would never buy another new car. I am very particular. If I buy brand new I want it perfect until I screw it up. If I buy used I expect to find flaws. My buddy who works at a transmission shop says they should put on a new bumper. I really don't want anyone touching my car other than mounting new tires because I don't have the equipment. I imagine if they trust somebody who doesn't care enough to mount it the plate properly what are the chances clips and such would be reinstalled correctly? Of course I'd like a new bumper but they are 4 hours away and they aren't going to offer that anyway. If they offered some money in parts credit I would be happy with that. I am looking into a better way to mount it away from the paint. Is this part number mz314797 just a frame as it is listed? I also asked dealer badges to be removed. They got the one of the paint but left the one across the windshield. Of course the pictures they sent me before the car left the lot did not show the window decal nor the crooked plate. It would appear it would have been easy to hold the frame against the upper ledge before drilling. I would have preferred they tape the plate in the windshield for transport and let me deal with it. Here is a vehicle they have in stock now and the plate looks fairly level.
    No worries on being particular, Chris. I'm the same way, and constantly obsess over my car. You are in the right to be cross about this.

Unfortunately, I will echo others here and say that you are unlikely to get any help from the dealership. Even if they were nearby it would be like pulling teeth. In this case they are 4 hours away, so I wish you the best of luck. To make matters worse, you have the newest bumper style (very nice!), so getting a replacement on the cheap from a junkyard is probably out of the question for now.

If it makes you feel any better, my license plate is attached in the same way. As in, just holes drilled in the bumper. It made me cringe, as well. But unfortunately, it is what it is. Mine was at least level, though.

Additionally, at least the plate itself would cover the extra hole you would need to drill in order to correctly align the plate. The bumper is also totally plastic, so you don't have to worry about rust.

What has helped me "chill" the most, though, is this: I plan on keeping the car for many years. If there is something that gets messed up now, it doesn't necessarily need to be fix now. It can be fixed just as easily (and probably much more cheaply) several years down the road.

Just my 2p. From someone who is also somewhat obsessive.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-04-2021),Clessy (02-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Do you think White Bear Mitsubishi would care if it went out of his dealership? Just wondering. They SEEM to be more interested maybe not. This dealer assumes I won't be going back there for service or parts.

I guess that is an inherent issue with commission sales people. Good things hospitals aren't commission. Our health care system is bad enough.

I guess I'd be annoyed too if the tv guy drilled extra holes in my wall when mounting a tv leaving me to patch them. Maybe some people don't care about that.

I probably need to lower my expectations of other people's workmanship.

I'm developing a modification for this and I will attempt my first write up if it turns out well.
    I can say this from the service end too. They're preying you never come and get your mirage worked on. This car is a lose for dealers all the way around. Warranty work is at a loss and virtually doing anything to fix anything on the car isnt worth while. You'll also learn that almost anything totals these cars at the parts cost more than another used one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    . Do you think White Bear Mitsubishi would care if it went out of his dealership? Just wondering. They SEEM to be more interested maybe not. This dealer assumes I won't be going back there for service or parts.
    I don't blame you for being miffed about the crooked rear license plate. It's really doesn't take that much effort to do it right the first time around. Any type of straight edge ruler bumped up against the top or bottom would have done the trick.

White Bear Mitsubishi delivered my Mirage (4-hours one way). A temporary Wisconsin plate was mounted on the rear, & White Bear Mitsubishi plate was mounted on the front. I wasn't asked if tapping the front was OK, but Wisconsin does require a front plate. I wouldn't have mounted rear/front plates any differently.

White Bear was sold out of 2017 Mirage ES manuals when I made my deal with them. They searched for my car & got my 1st color choice from another dealership before delivering it to my home. The other dealership may have tapped the bumpers?

I paid nothing down before delivery. If they didn't delivered what was expected, they would have been sent home with the car. It took two WB employees being on the road for 8 hour each to make this deal happen. We signed the paperwork on my kitchen table. I paid less than 2/3 window sticker. Having my plates mounted straight didn't cost extra! Sorry, for my bad humor!

The rear bumper comes with large holes in it (not sure why). I would complain & just level it myself. I would feel good about complaining, & I would feel good about fixing it myself.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-04-2021 at 07:13 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    I can say this from the service end too. They're preying you never come and get your mirage worked on. This car is a lose for dealers all the way around. Warranty work is at a loss and virtually doing anything to fix anything on the car isnt worth while. You'll also learn that almost anything totals these cars at the parts cost more than another used one.
    "Since dealers are paid well to perform warranty work, the dealers welcome you with open arms no matter where you bought your vehicle. That is a little different than it was some years ago. I hope this gives you a little insight into what dealers go through to repair your car under the factory warranty." Jun 15, 2017

taken from https://www.carprousa.com/The-Factor...ory%20warranty.

Good dealerships want repeat customers. They try to go above & beyond to provide good service & have happy customers. Not all dealerships are the same.

I try to avoid dealerships for service. Dealerships for my two vehicles are also 65 miles away. My dad, however, is very loyal to a couple dealerships, & they seem to provide him with great service.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    "Since dealers are paid well to perform warranty work, the dealers welcome you with open arms no matter where you bought your vehicle. That is a little different than it was some years ago. I hope this gives you a little insight into what dealers go through to repair your car under the factory warranty." Jun 15, 2017

taken from https://www.carprousa.com/The-Factor...ory%20warranty.

Good dealerships want repeat customers. They try to go above & beyond to provide good service & have happy customers. Not all dealerships are the same.

I try to avoid dealerships for service. Dealerships for my two vehicles are also 65 miles away. My dad, however, is very loyal to a couple dealerships, & they seem to provide him with great service.
    I can only speak 100% for the actual mirage. Never had any issues with any other work. Also the dealership may make good money but the techs dont, especially on warranty labor things. They'll be given absolutely unreasonable times to accomplish things. Because thats what the book says it takes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    I can only speak 100% for the actual mirage. Never had any issues with any other work. Also the dealership may make good money but the techs dont, especially on warranty labor things. They'll be given absolutely unreasonable times to accomplish things. Because thats what the book says it takes.
    If there's a good Mitsubishi dealership in Wisconsin, I am not aware of it yet. The poor dealership network of Mitsubishi is my biggest concern.

I don't recommend Mitsubishi to any of my friends or relatives because of that reason alone.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    On mine car the dealer used very strong double-sided adhesive strips

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam - UK For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

But it's your car, do what you feel is right. It shouldn't have left the lot like that. Are you gonna try and make them buy you a new bumper cover now or what's the plan now? Maybe see if they'll throw in a front plate mount bracket for you unless you plan to go with the tow hook bracket style?[/QUOTE]

I hadn't looked at the front of the car since saturday. I see it has dimples in the front bumper on a non painted plastic surface. There is a good chance I will drill into those dimples and mount the front plate there. I may drill two holes for the bottom of the plate as well.
    I did wonder about some of the front plate mounts I saw looked to block air flow. If I mount to that wide solid plastic strip it shouldn't affect it at all.