Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: REAR plate mounting options

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thinking about this a little, if you haven't already, you should try shooting an email to big daddy corporate Mitsubishi and tell them (abridged): "I absolutely love the car, but my experience with the dealership (see attached photos) make me very unlikely to be a return customer or to recommend the brand to anyone else." Make sure to specifically "name and shame" the dealership.

You never know - maybe Mitsubishi actually cares about saving face and will slap some sense into them for you. My friend briefly worked as a car salesman and from all of his stories the sales floor is all "Rand's objectivism" until some customer eventually gets burned too hard, complains to corporate, and then an angry call comes down the line threatening them with repercussions. New Mitsu's do come with a 1-year "fit and finish" (aka spit and polish) warranty and I could see Mitsubishi going to bat for you on that one.

Dealership's position and why you will never get anything out of them:

The dealership itself will never admit any blame/reach out to Mitsu about this because it puts them in a real bad light if it's a warranty claim, and if it's not a warranty claim then they would be out $$$ so it's in their interest just to to annoy you until you go away since, really, this doesn't effect the operation of the vehicle and can be made out to be "petty" (although it isn't).

Last edited by PityOnU; 02-12-2021 at 07:29 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What makes me more incredulous is the dimples are in fact in the rear bumper! Name:  right dimple.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  70.2 KBName:  left dimple.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  67.0 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that the snow is gone I am able to dedicate some time to fixing this before my permanent plates come in I have a question:
    How is everyone else's rear plate affixed? Is the plate screwed directly against the paint? If so, wouldn't this cause scratching over thousands of miles? Has anyone ever pulled off their rear plate?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine are all attached right to the rear bumper.

I've seen on other cars little foam squares that stick on to the body to prevent the plate from actually touching the car. Might be an idea for your's?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Now that the snow is gone I am able to dedicate some time to fixing this before my permanent plates come in I have a question:
    How is everyone else's rear plate affixed? Is the plate screwed directly against the paint? If so, wouldn't this cause scratching over thousands of miles? Has anyone ever pulled off their rear plate?
    Snow is gone - you Illinois folks don't have to rub that into our Wisconsin faces!

Our Canadian friends may be reminding me of that last statement some day.

When White Bear Mitsubishi delivered my Mirage to my home, my Mirage had a plastic White Bear plate mounted to the front (don't buy from them if you live in state that doesn't require a front plate) & a temporary plastic Wisconsin plate on the rear. That's not my point, however!

My metal front plate is mounted on top of their plastic plate. Likewise, my metal rear plate is mounted on top of the temporary plastic Wisconsin plate on the rear. I may never pull the plates off, but I have to believe using the plastic plates under the metal ones isn't hurting anything. If I have a scratch on my Mirage, I would pick under the plates first.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wait a sec, he's southern Illinois. Snow is alive and well up here in Rockturd hahaha.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Is the plate screwed directly against the paint?
    No part of my plate is directly against the paint. I bought some thick nylon washers to act as spacers...

Name:  spacers.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  16.7 KB

I put these on the top mounting screws between the plate and the bumper...so the top of the plate is held about 1/4 of an inch away from the paint. That takes care of the top of the license plate...but you still need something for the bottom of the plate because there are no screws used on the bottom.

I apply a small (1/4" tall) blob of clear silicone on each rear bottom corner of the plate and let it dry before installing. These act as spacers to keep the lower portion of the plate away from the paint. Nothing rattles or touches the paint with this setup.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-23-2021),Mark (02-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Both good suggestions by Mark and Top Fuel. I may go with the rubber spacers on all four corners. The more holes drilled into my rear bumper the less it weighs. Therefore faster and better mpg!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    No part of my plate is directly against the paint. I bought some thick nylon washers to act as spacers...

Name:  spacers.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  16.7 KB

I put these on the top mounting screws between the plate and the bumper...so the top of the plate is held about 1/4 of an inch away from the paint. That takes care of the top of the license plate...but you still need something for the bottom of the plate because there are no screws used on the bottom.

I apply a small (1/4" tall) blob of clear silicone on each rear bottom corner of the plate and let it dry before installing. These act as spacers to keep the lower portion of the plate away from the paint. Nothing rattles or touches the paint with this setup.
    Thanks to Top Fuel I added an engine block heater to my Mirage years ago. This past summer I invested in an Autel TS408 tool and 8 Autel MX 2-in-1 sensors (cloned/added sensors to all of my winter wheels for my Mirage & Forester). I blame that expense on Top Fuel, too!

Once again, I've learned something new from Top Fuel, & it's a cheap fix for a change!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got my block heater in the mail yesterday... Found a new zerostart on ebay for $18 shipped! not 100% sure I will use but it was a good deal.
    I MAY also consider installing a volvo bracket. It has rubber bumpers to protect the paint.
    Name:  plate bracket.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  14.5 KB