Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: REAR plate mounting options

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post

But it's your car, do what you feel is right. It shouldn't have left the lot like that. Are you gonna try and make them buy you a new bumper cover now or what's the plan now? Maybe see if they'll throw in a front plate mount bracket for you unless you plan to go with the tow hook bracket style?

I hadn't looked at the front of the car since saturday. I see it has dimples in the front bumper on a non painted plastic surface. There is a good chance I will drill into those dimples and mount the front plate there. I may drill two holes for the bottom of the plate as well.
    I did wonder about some of the front plate mounts I saw looked to block air flow. If I mount to that wide solid plastic strip it shouldn't affect it at all.
    Please oh please dont drill into your font bumpers. States that use front plates need to die off with that none sense. Get a side mount and use a strong adhesive instead.

Last edited by Clessy; 02-09-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    I grew up in NE Wisconsin near the UP. Michigan only uses rear plates. I thought front plates were optional when I bought my first car (college years). Eventually, I was pulled over for not having my front plate mounted. Thankfully, I had the front plate under the seat & a screwdriver. The officer just watched me mount it & let me off with a warning. I sincerely didn't know better at the time.

My front plate is just screwed into my front bumper, & I don't really care. The plate has to go somewhere. I prefer that location, & it's secure. My Mirage will never be without a front plate during my ownership.

All cars should have something in place to mount front & rear plates regardless of the state you live in.

"Thirty-one states require their motorists to display front license plates and plates on the back of their vehicles. The “Rugged Nineteen” states that require only one plate include Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-05-2021)

What about stickers? I renewed the registration on my truck a few weeks ago and all they gave me was the registration card, said they don't do give out stickers to put on the plate anymore. I guess the province will save 1 million dollhairs?

Had I known that I probably wouldn't have even bothered renewing it at almost $100/year. The no registration fine is only $250.

They haven't issued front plates in Alberta since 1992.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What about stickers? I renewed the registration on my truck a few weeks ago and all they gave me was the registration card, said they don't do give out stickers to put on the plate anymore. I guess the province will save 1 million dollhairs?

Had I known that I probably wouldn't have even bothered renewing it at almost $100/year. The no registration fine is only $250.

Our state had a concept of no plates or tags or anything at one point but it was shut down because traveling to other states. It was gonna have some sort of chip sticker thing you put on your window. Police scanners would be able to pull the chip and it would give them tags title insurance and registration info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Many years ago you got stickers for both the front & rear plates. Only the rear plate gets a new sticker every year in Wisconsin.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the week I was waiting for the sales manager to contact me (hoping to get maybe some free parts or something) I was contacted by someone in the dealership office that handles registration and taxes. Keep in mind they are in Tennessee and I am in Illinois. They claim they did not collect enough for vehicle registration. Apparently to the tune of $171. Illinois is ungodly high for pates. I did not think I should be responsible for this either as the contact person told me TTL was included in the overall price we agreed upon.
    Not wanting to fight about this though I perhaps could have, I sent the sales manager a business like letter my dissatisfaction with my license plate mounting and suggesting we just call it even on the $171. Thirty minutes later the sales manager called apologizing for the mishap and let me know they would indeed cover the difference in TTL. I will be satisfied with the overall purchase assuming my plates come in the mail and they do not ask for any more money.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Well...sounds good to me. I'll take $171 if someone wants to drill an extra hole in my back bumper behind my license plate where I can't see it!

Interesting...so a Tennessee car dealer collected Illinois registration fees? Did they also collect Illinois sales tax?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They did. I was surprised as well. The only other new vehicle I purchased was an in state purchase.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Well...sounds good to me. I'll take $171 if someone wants to drill an extra hole in my back bumper behind my license plate where I can't see it!

Interesting...so a Tennessee car dealer collected Illinois registration fees? Did they also collect Illinois sales tax?
    My Mirage came from Minnesota, & I paid sales tax for my Wisconsin county (slightly cheaper than Minnesota sales tax). Wisconsin registration, new Wisconsin plates, etc were all part of the OTD price. They took care of everything. Car was delivered with Wisconsin temporary plate to my home. Plates came in the mail weeks later.

Now, you can feel a little better about the crooked rear plate. I'd straighten it myself for that amount of money, too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-11-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I understand what you are saying. Should a customer of a cheaper car be treated differently of another? New is new. A hole in the fender or a missing hubcap wouldn't affect its capabilities either but they probably wouldn't send it out that way.

Everyone's time is valuable. That is why we get paid for going to work. If I have to spend my time fixing what I already paid them to do shouldn't I be compensated somehow. I know I won't get a bumper. I read other people's horror stories as well including an owner of a new mustang that had holes drilled under the license plate mounting holes because the installer thought the existing holes were for parking sensors.
    I don't think opinions are divided on your story. New is new, plain and simple. You can't expect glaring blemishes on a new thing. My new freezer has a few dents from travelling, but your situation is another level. Every shop needs a level, a square, a dolly or two, some good basic pencils, a good knife, and a hammer. I'm sorry if bringing it up again but parcel for the course right. Sorry about your luck.

Who does this stealership think they are. I'd fight the thing and I wouldn't give them a dime ever again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)