Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Nissan Micra (March) facelift / new front & rear end

Jalopnik just noticed the age of the freshly facelifted Micra:

Nissan Has Been Selling The Same Hatchback In Mexico For 11 Years

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why doesn't Nissan put the 4-speed auto in the Mirage? Seems like less headache no (less trans failures)? And they'd cut back on costs? l would then buy the Auto...l don't like the cvt rubberband torque.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Mainly because that'd hurt its fuel economy ratings.

The Mirage was specifically designed (mass + aero + drivetrain efficiency) to beat a specific rating so the company would qualify for manufacturing tax incentives under the "Eco Car" production program in Thailand where it's built.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-11-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So this may not be of much interest to our U.S. members, but it might be to Canadian/Mexican/Euro folks...

Behold the 2nd facelift of the Mexican made K13 Micra:

Attachment 20540

Nissan Canada brought this Micra to Canada to compete with the Mirage & Chevy Spark from the 2015-2019 model years. It was built in the same factory as the USDM Versa sedan and Versa Note -- same platform, drivetrain & many interior bits.

The Micra dominated its segment in Canada with a bombshell $9998 starting MSRP for several years until the Spark was redesigned and GM also slapped a $9995 starting price on the Spark's base stripper trim. They cancelled the Micra when the Kicks was introduced.

Europe has already had the next gen K14 Micra for a couple of years. But Nissan Canada figured the next gen car would be too expensive for the segment.

Even a year after it was cancelled, the leftover Micra STILL outsold the Mirage throughout 2020.

Interestingly, it looks like Mexico will continue building/selling the K13 Micra for at least a few more years. They just slapped a new front & rear end on it and gave it some new wheel & interior options. (Sound familiar?)

Back end:

Attachment 20541

Nissan has a habit of producing cars in Mexico for many years after they're finished in other markets. They made the 90's vintage Sentra sedan (Tsuro) for something like 15 years!

More pics:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...gs-155391.html
    micra.s look different in the UK to them pics
    Name:  426154332_micra_gen5.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  nissan_micra2017014.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  98.0 KB

Yup! That's the Micra built on the next generation (K14) platform. The Mexican built one is still K13.

From what I've read, the K14 is a nice car to drive.

And perhaps most interestingly: I believe the Mexican made Versa sedan is probably built on the K14 Micra platform/architecture. If you look at the hard points from the B-pillar forward, you can see it:

Name:  versa.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  97.5 KB

The previous gen Mexican-built Versa sedan was built on the same platform as the previous gen Micra.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never much cared for Nissan's design language. However, the K13 Micra you shared here actually looks pretty great. Rear end on it is particularly nifty looking.

Of course, the K14 is back to looking like hot garbage, though (at least to my eyes). Nissan: why you look so weird?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Mainly because that'd hurt its fuel economy ratings.

The Mirage was specifically designed (mass + aero + drivetrain efficiency) to beat a specific rating so the company would qualify for manufacturing tax incentives under the "Eco Car" production program in Thailand where it's built.
    l see both sides bc you want max fuel economy, but Toyota did it with their yaris for so long and it was dead reliable at the cost of mpg...so even if mpg took a slight decline wouldn't you rather have it last then worry about a major part failing like the transmission? Just my .02
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I want one of these! I so wish they'd sell them in the U.S.

Go buy a couple-year-old Versa Note. It's really the same thing! (With the manual). A couple of inches longer, different sheetmetal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    l see both sides bc you want max fuel economy, but Toyota did it with their yaris for so long and it was dead reliable at the cost of mpg...so even if mpg took a slight decline wouldn't you rather have it last then worry about a major part failing like the transmission? Just my .02
    The Yaris left our market, but it's becoming one of the most fuel efficient vehicles in other parts of the world.

"The all-new Yaris hybrid will be Toyota Australia's most fuel-efficient car when it goes on sale in August. With a new 1.5-litre hybrid powertrain available in Yaris for the first time, the hybrid variants will offer an astounding official combined fuel consumption figure of just 3.3l/100km1." Jan 24, 2020

For those of us that use miles, that's 71 mpg.

We're just lame (not us on the forum, but the general public) when it comes to small cars. This is how someone describes a 2017 Yaris -

"The 2017 Toyota Yaris has an almost-perfect predicted reliability rating and good crash test scores, but its underpowered engine, poor handling, and stiff seats keep it from ranking higher than midpack among subcompact cars.
    Mar 3, 2020

Anyone who thinks a 106 hp Yaris is underpowered is an idiot. Those who review small cars have really done the general public a disservice. Yet, the 130 hp Honda Fit is also leaving here. Imagine what these fools think of a 78 hp Mirage?

Fuel efficient vehicles leaving North America is a bad reflection on us as consumers. Mirage owners are not included in that last statement, however.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-11-2021)