Thread: Anyone switched to a smaller rearview mirror?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone switched to a smaller rearview mirror?

I recently switched to a new dash cam, that mounts more compactly than the last, so I could almost completely hide it behind the rearview mirror. After doing that, I started thinking about the rearview mirror size. As we all know, the rear window in the hatchback is tiny. When I look in the rearview mirror I can see the whole back window, along with about 4 inches on each side. This makes me think that I could replace the stock rearview mirror with a more compact version, and in turn, would have more forward visibility through the windshield.

1) Is this just a dumb idea?

2) Has anyone done this?

3)What is everyone's thoughts about this potential swap to a more compact rearview mirror?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    1) No.

2) I have not, hadn't heard of anyone doing so.

3) Things being seen inside as well as outside give your eyes / brain reference points, so it's a good thing to see some of the frame / trim around the window. I vote that you take the money you would spend on such, and spend it on something much more useful. Like Blackjack, and hookers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    I recently switched to a new dash cam, that mounts more compactly than the last, so I could almost completely hide it behind the rearview mirror. After doing that, I started thinking about the rearview mirror size. As we all know, the rear window in the hatchback is tiny. When I look in the rearview mirror I can see the whole back window, along with about 4 inches on each side. This makes me think that I could replace the stock rearview mirror with a more compact version, and in turn, would have more forward visibility through the windshield.

1) Is this just a dumb idea?

2) Has anyone done this?

3)What is everyone's thoughts about this potential swap to a more compact rearview mirror?
    I feel like I sit sort of tall in my Mirage, & the rear view mirror sort blocks some forward visibility at times. I wouldn't be opposed to slightly smaller rear view mirror.

When my Mirage was delivered, I didn't realize the entire rear view mirror post can be shifted upward slightly. Later when I realized it could be moved up, it did help some. I like sitting quite upright when I am driving. My concern with rear view visibility wouldn't be related to the rear mirror. The slope of roof & the rear spoiler are more of a concern to me. I wish a tall person could see farther back while driving. Then again, side mirrors help with that, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I feel like I sit sort of tall in my Mirage, & the rear view mirror sort blocks some forward visibility at times. I wouldn't be opposed to slightly smaller rear view mirror.

When my Mirage was delivered, I didn't realize the entire rear view mirror post can be shifted upward slightly. Later when I realized it could be moved up, it did help some. I like sitting quite upright when I am driving. My concern with rear view visibility wouldn't be related to the rear mirror. The slope of roof & the rear spoiler are more of a concern to me. I wish a tall person could see farther back while driving. Then again, side mirrors help with that, too.
    Maybe I need to play around with my mirror, I don't think I was aware that the whole thing shifted upwards. I am 5'10" but have a long torso (my inseam is 30"), so I definitely feel like I sit tall in the Mirage too. When I had the windows tinted I passed on the windshield strip because it would have been right in my line of sight.