Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirageo...Lives!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Mirageo...Lives!

A deer hit me coming back tonight and am okay, but the car isn't...fenders bent, left headlight exploded, and bumper is cracked...l saw the tail of the deer...then a huge crack The deer walked away but wish it wouldn't have come into the road...calling insurance tomorrow to verify on where to send the car for inspection and hopefully repairs. Not sure as to why my door won't open bc either the fender is so pushed out that the door won't open....or the frame is bent but l think the first choice is correct.

Last edited by MirageRally; 02-06-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Doh, that is a bummer. But, its great to hear that you're okay. My aunt and cousin hit a deer once. It jumped before they hit it and it ended up smashing the windshield. My cousin got glass in her eye. Not fun.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aww man... Sorry to hear about your car. At least you're all right. And yes, the fender probably got knocked back too close to the door so I'd avoid opening it if you can since it will just destroy the fender completely and possible scratch the inside of the door.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-07-2021),Fummins (02-05-2021),MirageRally (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    That sounds terrible. That headlight exploding scared me so bad...all of a sudden l hear a huge crack....and slam on my brakes.
    Sorry to hear about your deer damage. Glad you are ok! Cars can be repaired. It's never fun, but it could happen to anyone living in deer country.

Hopefully, your insurance company & a good body shop will have it looking like new again soon! In the meantime, it's a bummer! I know the feeling first hand.

Thanks for sharing! Good to know you weren't hurt!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-05-2021),MirageRally (02-05-2021)

That sucks!! Stupid deer... Glad it wasn't worse!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the car can either be fixed or replaced. You walked away without a scratch. Sounds like the deer might have gotten by without too much injury, too! Not much point in getting too bent about it. Stuff happens.

I agree, fender probably got knocked back into the door... and opening the door probably damaged the door. I generally figure $500 per affected panel. So, $500 bumper, $500 fender, $500 door, $500 headlight. I'd be surprised if this little hit was less than $2k. But, it didn't pop the airbags (that adds at least $500 per airbag), didn't get into the suspension, probably didn't bend core supports or anything "beneath the skin". Should be $2000 or so... which isn't anywhere near totaling the car. They'll fix it.

Hope you have a deductible that's not too painful, and can find a good shop to do the work!

The good news is that your car is silver, which is a very easy color to paint-match. (I'm being SOOOOOO sarcastic here)
    Simplify and add lightness.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-07-2021),MetroMPG (02-10-2021),MirageRally (02-05-2021),Top_Fuel (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    You might want to check out this thread: Hit a Deer

The estimate may be higher than you think, unfortunately.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmmm... I guess I HAVE been hanging onto that $500/panel rough estimate for more than a few years now. Maybe it's up closer to $1,000 per?

I forgot to add $500 for paint, too. So... safe to say somewhere between $2500 and $5000. They won't usually write off a car until the repair is something like 70% of the value of the car.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Fcukin' deer. Sorry about your ride.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-07-2021),Fummins (02-05-2021),MetroMPG (02-10-2021),MirageRally (02-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    That's what the deer was thinking at the time...l called my insurance last night and left a voicemail...the internals are messed up too under the hood.......the agent will meet me at a body shop of my choice and assess the damage and go from there...(sigh) l don't like deer. They're cute when they're not in front of your car...l wish they weren't on the road but what can you do? l'll update when l can.
    Nothing helps explain deer hunting season (and reason) better than hitting one with your car. Its a scary, traumatic experience, and some drivers don't walk away from it. I did, fortunately. Glad you're ok.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-06-2021)