Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mirageo...Lives!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren
    I've since made my peace with ABS because the technology has gotten a lot better.
    So if I ever see a junkyard Metro with an ABS assembly(very rare option) I shouldn't buy the ABS system to upgrade mine?

Wishing your car the best of luck in repairs MirageRally! Closest I've ever came to hitting a deer was on bicycle back around 2014. Going to work it was dark and I saw an oncoming cars headlights start blinking. Next thing I knew there was a deer 6 feet ahead of me. I didn't have time to react but it cleared my path before we met handlebars to fur.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Haha, l don't care how off topic the thread gets
    Since we're off topic ... the other day I was absolutely flying down the interstate on my motorcycle, must have been going a touch over 100 mph. I saw ahead the traffic was sort of bunching up, but there was sort of a hole I could shoot through. So I just kept it hammered and aimed for the hole.

Just as I was clearing through the hole I saw WHY the traffic was bunched up. There was a cop stopped in the road ahead, his car pointed my way, straddling lanes and I was aimed head-on at his grill. I had to flick it left as hard as I could while doing so I noticed the passenger door was open. Immediately followed by noticing why it was open. The passenger seat cop had jumped out, leaving his door open and was bolting (to my left) toward the median wall divider. I had to give it as full right as I could once clearing the door so I didn't mow him down ... still at just over 100 mph. And as quick as it all happened I saw an image of his body go by on my left, I had just barely missed him.
    How I missed him I still don't know. I'm betting he saw his life pass before his eyes. I figured I might as well keep the hammer down since I didn't want to get shot at. And so it all worked out and I just kept going. But I don't recommend such driving. Sure wish I had recorded all that, but haven't figured out how to record what I'm doing while playing Grand Theft Auto yet.

7milesout
    Last edited by 7milesout; 02-08-2021 at 01:30 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-16-2021),Fummins (02-08-2021),Loren (02-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jeez man, get Beam NG Drive and drive reckless and crash some virtual cars to get it out of your system.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/beamngdrive

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    So if I ever see a junkyard Metro with an ABS assembly(very rare option) I shouldn't buy the ABS system to upgrade mine?
    I don't know Metros in particular, but I know Miatas. One or two people have documented the process of retrofitting ABS to a Miata that didn't have it. It's more involved than you think. You'd probably have to change all four hubs to get speed sensors on all four corners. Wiring harness for the entire ABS system (unless you were going to DIY wire it... which I wouldn't want to do for such a critical system), ABS pump, probably a different master cylinder, definitely a different proportioning valve, and all of the hydraulic lines under the hood, and lines from there to the rest of the car (the brake lines won't go to each corner from the MC, they'll come from the ABS pump), and then the electronics. Either a separate ABS control module, or a different ECU if it's built in.

All of that kind of stuff... lots of little brackets and things, too. And then... you've got to get it all installed just right and get it working.

If you WERE going to do it, you want to buy the WHOLE CAR so that you're sure you'll have every single part that's different from the non-ABS car.

But, no. I wouldn't dream of doing it. If you've got a Metro and you're concerned about stopping distances, just put better tires on it and practice making quick stops.
    Simplify and add lightness.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-08-2021),MacClyver (02-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes I have. I had a little mongrel (had to put her down recently), and she was built EXACTLY like donkey. Same exact proportions. Same kind of sweet face, similar colors, different tails. Me and her (my little mongrel) looked just like Shrek and donkey together.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Update:

(in Frankenstein voice) MIRAGEO IS ALIVE!!!

lt'll be a 2 weeks for parts and 2 weeks for paint...so happy Mirageo is okay
    That's good to hear!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Update:

(in Frankenstein voice) MIRAGEO IS ALIVE!!!

lt'll be a 2 weeks for parts and 2 weeks for paint...so happy Mirageo is okay
    Hey that's great news. Didn't you want to repaint yours? Bedliner maybe?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad to hear about Mirageo.

My mongrel went a lot like Buddy. She wouldn't bite though. She went mostly blind, either all or mostly deaf, would walk in circles, and crawl up under vehicles for no apparent reason, lost a bunch of weight, would lose her balance and fall down when trying to use the bathroom. Her life was basically over, but her tough little body (she was 95% rubber on the inside) didn't want to stop.

I was afraid she'd go outside (she used the garage like her big doghouse, and we left the backyard door open for her) one night this winter when it was freezing, get lost, or fall down, not be able to get up, and stay out there for hours and freeze to death. She did get lost at least once and we had to go get her from our own backyard in the morning ... but it was warm then. I couldn't imagine the kind of physical and mental pain she might endure freezing for hours, so I made the choice to put her down. The first shot they gave her, she looked releaved ... look like a burden had been lifted off of her. Like she could get some rest. When you see a change of expression like that on a dog, you know it is for real. It was harder than I thought it was going to be, but I just couldn't take the chance of her freezing to death for hours, while I'm busy sawing logs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-10-2021)

Late to the party: sorry to hear about your car MirageRally, but glad you're OK!

I'm lucky - have never hit a deer or had one hit me. I've had near misses with smaller animals though.

My worst animal story: I once hit a near-blind dog that was playing in a ditch in long grass and ran out in front of me with little warning. Killed it. The owner was in his yard nearby, and he was understandably distraught. But he blamed himself for letting the dog wander beside the road given its poor eyesight. I still felt terrible, and I think about the dog every time I go down that road.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Doh, that is a bummer. But, its great to hear that you're okay. My aunt and cousin hit a deer once. It jumped before they hit it and it ended up smashing the windshield. My cousin got glass in her eye. Not fun.
    I'm sorry for you Daox, my eldest son lost a Suzuki on his way to work due to impacting a deer at 03:10 in 2006, the car was totalled. He bought another Suzuki and again 2007, well oh dear, another deer hit his car but this time a pal of mine in Harrogate (North Yorkshire) fixed it up without any involvement from the insurance company. I've had a pheasant hit my car breaking the windscreen. That so & so ended up an expensive dinner. Pheasant cost nothing, buggered windscreen £75 ($105) as insurance company split the cost with me.

Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

18. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-16-2021)