Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mirageo...Lives!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Glad to hear you gotter back on the road. I'm wondering if in a hundred or 200 years, there will be a solution to deer impacts and future people will think our generation were Neanderthals for not having figured it out sooner.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (03-01-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Wow, sorry to hear of this MirageRally. Glad you're okay, great relief. Oh dear (sorry for the pun) I hope they fix up your car well. Will it impact (sorry for this pun too) on your insurance cost on next renewal?
    Happened to my son some years ago with a Suzuki Alto, smaller than the Mirage, wrecked the car but he, my son, not the deer, was unhurt.
    Hope all goes well.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

4. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (03-04-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Attachment 20596Attachment 20600Attachment 20597Attachment 20598Attachment 20599Attachment 20601Attachment 20602Attachment 20603Attachment 20604Attachment 20605

Shot these photos the night of the accident, that headlight exploding really made some noise...and you can see why...
    Quite a mess. Does the build quality come into question here? I've known a Humber Super Snipe drive through a wall with minimal damage, just headlight and bumper damage.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (03-04-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I believe the Mirage did very well for the size of the vehicle. Not when I had to take it to a shop to get fixed that was the problem, but thankfully the shop is correcting the mistakes and is fixing additional problems that were before the accident as a courtesy for the time that I have lost. Hitting anything is a scary experience and when the cover and bumper was off I was able to look at where the crash sensor was, and I was a couple millimeters off when the deer impacted my driver side bumper and Fender, good thing it didn't go off otherwise it would be totaled.

And thanks was very scary at first, but just glad I'm okay and the car is also okay.

Thankfully will not impact anything on my insurance, when I called my insurance agent I was more concerned about my rates going up than anything LOL and he freaked out on me telling me he didn't care about my rates and wanted to make sure I was okay haha.

Main point from all this: Slow down at night bc they're out there... On the dashcam the deer came out of nowhere and l was going 55mph...if any higher it would've been worse. I'll try to post the video when I can.
    Scary sh?t. Glad the insurance company will not load you up over it. THIS IS A JOKE SO PLEASE FOLKS NOTHING SERIOUS.
    Maybe I'll send my ex wife over there and get her to cross the road. If not you mate I'll make sure Tiger Woods is around.
    He's good with a golf bat called a Driver but as a driver, oh my.
    Last edited by itschad; 03-04-2021 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Correction

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I believe the Mirage did very well for the size of the vehicle. Not when I had to take it to a shop to get fixed that was the problem, but thankfully the shop is correcting the mistakes and is fixing additional problems that were before the accident as a courtesy for the time that I have lost. Hitting anything is a scary experience and when the cover and bumper was off I was able to look at where the crash sensor was, and I was a couple millimeters off when the deer impacted my driver side bumper and Fender, good thing it didn't go off otherwise it would be totaled.

And thanks was very scary at first, but just glad I'm okay and the car is also okay.

Thankfully will not impact anything on my insurance, when I called my insurance agent I was more concerned about my rates going up than anything LOL and he freaked out on me telling me he didn't care about my rates and wanted to make sure I was okay haha.

Main point from all this: Slow down at night bc they're out there... On the dashcam the deer came out of nowhere and l was going 55mph...if any higher it would've been worse. I'll try to post the video when I can.
    I am very happy to hear they are fixing the few items you were still concerned about. I don't blame you for wanting that done right.

Unless they moved them, you can see the crash/impact sensors by just opening the hood. They're under the upper tie bar above the rad with a yellow connector.
    I cringe when I try getting into a vehicle and the driver has the seat all the way forward. Just increasing their chance of getting punched in the face. Hopefully having a seat position sensor reduces the punch a little. I hear those knee bolsters sting when the plastic cover fly's off into your shins!
    The wife used to drive like a gangster with one hand on the top of the wheel, then someone ran into her. When the airbag went off it broke her forearm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    MirageRally - That impact sensor might have been triggered by the deer impact. It takes 2 sensors to set off (at least) the front airbags. I'm not an automotive impact sensor guy, this is just what I picked up while I was in automotive. So, maybe I'm wrong.

But, in case 1 sensor was just malfunctioning, there's a 2nd one, I think the 2nd ones are generally placed on the firewall (for frontal crash airbag deployment). 2 associated sensors have to be triggered. In that way, an errant no good sensor doesn't deploy an airbag in your face while one is calmly driving down the interstate at 75 mph.

Fummins - My wife's aunt, who has crashed every vehicle she has ever touched the steering wheel of, had her forearm SHATTERED by an airbag in one of her many crash events. I don't know why they still let her drive.

There was one accident where she was waiting to turn left at a light that was green, changing to yellow. Smaller intersection, no left turn arrow. So when it turned yellow she darted left, as some large truck was hustling to make the light. She got SMASHED and was in the hospital for days. That may have been the arm shattering event. Hard to say, there's been so many crashes. She will argue until she's blue in the face that she had the right of way over that truck. She says he ran the red light. But if he did run the red light, THEN SO DID SHE. She's hydroplaned a few times. One time hydroplaned down into and across the median of the interstate and caused some kind of multi-car pile up on the other side. There should be a 3 strikes rule for idiot drivers. 3 crashes that are your fault, no more driving. She'd been thrown out of driving probably 3 times by now. She needs a car made of nerf.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-05-2021),MirageRally (03-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Florida has a 3 in 3 rule. 3 crashes in 3 years, they suspend your license until you complete a 12 hour educational course (can be done online... Worthless) and 4 hours of behind the wheel training with a certified instructor.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Florida has a 3 in 3 rule. 3 crashes in 3 years, they suspend your license until you complete a 12 hour educational course (can be done online... Worthless) and 4 hours of behind the wheel training with a certified instructor.
    I've always thought deer collisions were considered an "act of God" accident (term insurance companies use), & they fell under your comprehensive insurance. Would Florida include deer collisions as one of three accidents? Just curious?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I honestly don't know. It's sort of like DUI laws. Not likely to affect me personally, so I don't worry about it.

I'd guess that it applies to crashes that resulted in your getting a traffic citation. Or, more correctly... A citation that is flagged as being related to a crash. If there is no citation, it likely doesn't count.

I only have to deal with the aftermath... People who have had their license suspended and need my services to get it back! They are almost always collisions with other cars related to inattention and/or following too closely. Sometimes alcohol related.

Simplify and add lightness.