Thread: OEM Tire Rating

Country
    United States
    Thanks

OEM Tire Rating

Hello all,
    Been a while since I posted but this morning I was looking for the average tire rating/life expectancy on our Dunlop tires.

What have you all gotten out of them. I at 40k now and starting to eye some other tires that fit my drive a bit better.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Aren’t the Dunlop Enasaves rated for 40,000 miles?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ArenĀ’t the Dunlop Enasaves rated for 40,000 miles?
    I've never seen a mileage rating for a Dunlop Enasave tire.

Dunlop Enasave - "This product is not covered by a manufacturer’s treadlife warranty." quote from simpletire.com

Bridgestone Pontenza RE92 - 40,000 miles

Federal SS-657 - 40,000 miles

Nexen NPriz AH5 - 50,000 miles

Kumho Solus TA31 - 60,000 miles

Vredestein Quatrac 5 - 40,000 miles

In trying to compare apples to apples, these tire ratings are for 165/65r14 tires.

I did not list any snow tires, because I've never seen a snow tire (any brand) have a tread life warranty rating.

Having shared all this - 40,000 miles seems to be the approximate lifespan of a factory Dunlop tire (provided you don't have a sidewall issue before reaching that).

I am reaching 45,000 with my Mirage , & I still have one pair of Dunlop Enasave tires left. They haven't been used the past 3 winters, however. I'm not anal enough to know exactly how many miles are on them. I lost one Dunlop @ 15,000 miles (sidewall issue), but the remaining pair have been perfectly fine for the summer months. I am hoping to get one more summer out of them. I feel the Dunlop Enasaves have been wearing about the same as the Federal SS-657 pair of tires I have. The Federal were 1/3 the cost of a Dunlop when I bought them, & I don't sense a mpg hit when inflated to 40 psi.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Checked the depth of the tread this morning, Not much life left in them at this point. New tires coming soon. Woo

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You can see some tire life numbers in this thread: How many miles did your Enasave (OEM) tires last

Bottom Line:

If you don't rotate them religiously and you still manage to get 40K miles out of Enasaves, you're doing pretty well. This assumes your front and/or rear alignment is within spec.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff151 View Post
    Checked the depth of the tread this morning, Not much life left in them at this point. New tires coming soon. Woo
    I think 40,000 miles life for your Dunlops is pretty optimistic. At 50,000 km's (31k miles) my own Dunlops were bald, bald bald haha...

Same story with my Bridgestone potenza's at that age. Not leaking or nothing, but worn out. Mirage's loves eating tires for some reason. I got not much to compare to be honest, only owned 2 cars previous, and I mostly walked/rode a bike in the old days.

My alignment on my '14 Mirage has always been dead-on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You can see some tire life numbers in this thread: How many miles did your Enasave (OEM) tires last

Bottom Line:

If you don't rotate them religiously and you still manage to get 40K miles out of Enasaves, you're doing pretty well. This assumes your front and/or rear alignment is within spec.

Might be a waste of money but at every oil change I have them rotated. They seem to have worn well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Griff151 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff151 View Post
    Might be a waste of money but at every oil change I have them rotated. They seem to have worn well.
    If you got 40,000 miles out of them, you did very well. I don't think anyone would question that.

Even though Dunlop Enasave doesn't have a treadwear warranty, you can still estimate its tire life.

The UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) for a Dunlop Enasave is 340AB.

Using an internet tire source -

80,000 miles
    "A tire with a treadwear rating of 320 should last for approximately 40,000 miles. This is a lower-middle level treadwear rating. Tires with a high-end rating of over 500 should deliver approximately 80,000 miles." Jan 22, 2020

I don't think most (or any) 500 rated tires will deliver 80,000 miles, but I would expect a Kumho Solus TA31 with a 500AA rating to do better than Dunlop Enasave with at 340AB rating. The Kumho tire also offers a 60,000 mile warranty.

Just using these as examples - not promoting any one tire over the other.

Last edited by Mark; 02-11-2021 at 02:00 AM.